Friday, January 31, 2020

Friday

Yesterday I got on Angie's list and requested quotes from a few contractors.  One never contacted me, one quoted me $6K not even looking at the house, and one called me in an hour and came out in 2. 

I liked him, he seemed like a quality guy and had very good reviews.  He looked at our old taping job where they repaired the drywall back in 2000 and said "We will do a much better job than this".  He said he would get back to me with a quote. 

I went to bed early and had Cleo in my bed, which meant I couldn't move much.  I didn't sleep well as a result but I will ALWAYS take the cat in my bed vs. sleeping alone.  I just sleep better with a cat in the bed.  It's counter intuitive, but even when I am not sleeping well due to crowding I am resting better and feeling more loved. 

I got up, got ready, got Ron ready, went to work.  Sales are dead.  I saw people bringing in food from the gas station, which charges double our prices.  Why would you pay double for the same thing?! 

We stocked, I did what I could (not much).  Oh, I forgot, we went to the warehouse first.  But we didn't get a lot of stuff = sales are dead. 

The other vendor is very happy with his new guy.  That's good, he seems like a hard worker.  I have never seen him loafing around on the clock, unlike some of his other employees.  One guy used to read the entire newspaper sitting on a stool in the stockroom, on the clock. 

We finished up and came home, I was pretty tired.  The guy from yesterday, Carlos, had texted me he had sent a quote. 

I took a nap so I would be fresh before reading it.  I slept alone and had nightmares, but I did sleep.  I guess the cats decided to give me a break and some room, for a change.  And the weather wasn't awful today, 60's, overcast, fine if you are wearing a fur coat to run around the neighborhood. 

I took all my pills as directed. 

I got up, looked at the quote, wow that is good.  I talked about it with Ron and we agreed to hire him.  He is going to do the drywall, paint, baseboards, install the vanity and widen the bathroom doorway for Ron.  All for literally half what I was quoted by 2 other guys. 

I think we are the charity case for him.  He has excellent reviews so I am not worried about it being a scam and I didn't get anything sleazy off of him, either.  I feel good about hiring him.  And I did. 

I would be an idiot, not to.  I did my homework, got several quotes, made sure he is highly rated.  He is also close by.  I like that.  I don't like the idea of my poor guys driving crosstown in rush hour traffic to do my job. 

I am only several miles, at best, away. 

I will need to provide the paint but I WANTED to do that.  I would much rather buy good quality paint than have someone use cheap grade stuff that flakes off in 5 years.  I can make sure everything is matched and looks good.  My aunt has agreed to help with the paint run, it will be about 9 gallons. 

Primer, trim, etc.  I like the Behr Marquee so I will do that.  It isn't cheap but I would so rather pay an extra $100 and have good paint I don't have to worry about for a long time, that is easy for the guys to apply, etc. 

I remember one complaint I had with my Walmart paint 16 years ago, it took several coats.  I don't want that.  The Behr covered some dark purple paint swatches I had on my wall, in one coat. 

I will also need to buy some drinks and snacks for the workers, I have 5 gallon buckets and Walmart delivers bags of ice ($30 minimum but I can do that).  I will chill the drinks in the fridge, put them in the buckets with ice.  Then the workers can go after them all day long.  Get some one ounce bags of chips and some snickers, good to go. 

I have always believed in taking care of my workers. 

I am glad I am moving ahead and I can stay in budget.  I didn't have a huge budget, but now I can afford the flooring and Ron's room.  My aunt really wants me to get Ron a new mattress, but also said it may be hard for him at Ikea, trying out various mattresses.  I can't just buy something and take his old mattress, I need to make sure it works for him.  I can get a water proof cover. 

This is all moving really nicely.  I was worried I would have tangles but not yet. 

I need time for my deposit to clear my account and get the checks, plus I have to take Ron to pain doc on the 10th, so we start on the 11th. 

No comments: