Sunday, January 19, 2020

Sunday Afternoon

Horribly depressed the last day or two. 

But I found a home, I hope, for the weight stuff.  I am going to donate it to a local ministry they do drug/alcohol (!) rehab and the guys can use it.  Nothing like a good workout to clear your head.  Not sorry to see it go and maybe as soon as tomorrow! 

I got Baby Girl brushed today and got some probiotics into Spotty so happy about that, the soup for cats is insanely expensive but they love it and an easy way to mix probiotics.  He laps it up, he's happy, I'm happy. 

Ron gave me money for Chinese food.  We have a deal, and this is one of the nicer things about longer term relationships, you work this stuff out.  I knew he wanted garlic pork.  So I got 2 lunch specials (I got orange chicken if you were curious), and it came with 2 soups and 2 eggrolls for the order.  So Ron gets the eggrolls - I am just not a fan like he is - and I get the soup, which was egg drop.  Yum for both of us. 

He has tons of pork to eat later and I ate about half my chicken, that will make a good lunch tomorrow or dinner. 

A typical grocery list for me will have things like soup for cats, cat treats, protein shakes for me, salty snacks (I need to eat a lot of salt), soda for me (I am a thirsty beast), yogurt, etc.  I get cat food online; Iams in the orange bag for most of them and the Urinary diet for Biscuit (Royal Canin).  The vet had to approve that but she did. 

Anyway I will be moving that out - it is so funny everyone wants the kettlebells.  I am keeping those but I think it is funny how popular/desirable they are. 

The garage is dry today now that it is colder and drier so it is just concrete issues in the garage. 

I ordered some samples from Lumber :Liquidators.  They had some nice choices for vinyl plank.  Some of the vinyl is stick on, some you glue down.  I don't want that, I want the snap together planks.  I will not be installing it but I want it to be an easy job for the person who does do it.  I don't want strong odors, either.  As I've said, the bonus room and Ron's bedroom are on the diagonal so they will be a little more work for the installer. 

The plan for now is I buy the supplies myself and then hire someone to do the install; because if I buy the flooring from the installer they will crank up the price at least 100% to make a profit on me.  If I already have it (and I will buy a little extra) all they have to do is install it. 

The great thing about the vinyl is it is completely waterproof.  Urinal spills, cat puke, accidents, knocked over drinks, it won't matter.  I just need to decide which one I like the best and have someone come out and measure.  I am guessing it is about 300 square feet, if that.  My bedroom is 11 feet square, bonus room is 8 feet square and two corners cut off of that, Ron's room is about - I just measured, 9x11 - a lot bigger than I would have thought.  So just about 300 square feet (I will, of course, buy extra). 

I saw Cleo a couple times including just now, she let me pet her.  I sat down and called her, she came just in arm's reach and let me pet her.  Always on her terms.  I believe she is also sleeping under my cot but I haven't looked.  If she has a cozy spot where she feels safe I don't want to disrupt it. 

Biscuit is eating his food which makes me happy, he has been sleeping with me.  Baby Girl was sleeping with Ron but didn't like the measuring and moved.  But now I have a good idea what the room needs. 

As I said I will have to wait on drywall in Ron's room until I finish installing the sink in the bathroom (shared wall).  But the bathroom will be easy, it already has tile, will get a nice coat of mauve paint and a new shower curtain.  The sink cabinet will be white with a white sink and chromeish faucets.  My only real design question, it has a wood tone medicine cabinet door on the wall to your right as you stand at the sink.  Leave it or paint it white to match the cabinet?  Oh, and ideally - this ideal - get a new cabinet with doors above the toilet so I can store things without them being seen, and a towel bar on the bottom.  A grab bar next to the shower, I can use that even if Ron won't.  That can be white, so basically mauve and white. 

Bathroom is easy, like I said. 

My room I am thinking a dark flooring with ???  walls.  I love purple, but I love turquoise too and they did some turquoise walls at work which I HATE.  I am THINKING go with a nice cream which I love and will match pretty much anything I do in the future.  I took the doors off the closet a long time ago so I could fit my dresser (stained magenta) in there.  Put up a curtain rod and some cream or natural cotton curtains, to cover it.  That's done. 

Bonus room dark flooring (definitely) and orange walls, work out in there. 

I just heard Biscuit growling, a huge orange tabby tom outside wants to come in; likely Cleo and Spotty's father.  Obviously a pet but some scratches on his face, which almost exactly match the healed scab on Biscuit's ear.  Pretty sure they had a conflict.  Good thing Biscuit has had all his shots. 

Now someone made the point "What are you so worried about rebuilding when insurance hasn't even said they will help?"  Well, as Dad would say, I will cross that bridge when I come to it.  There is nothing I can do (that keeps me a figure of sympathy) to hurry things along, I just have to trust the process. 

The only way they could deny me if they felt I had not done anything to stop it.  I turned off the water, I called a plumber, I turned off the water again and called another plumber, getting it fixed.  I immediately called an abatement team as well.  We have no mold, the house is dry as a bone (unquote), and I repiped the house.  That's pretty diligent.  I just need drywall, paint, and flooring. 

And, one way or another, I will get it. 

Worst case I will get another job and save that money.  Part time work pays a lot better than it used to. 

I think I am going to take my shower after Ron's done in the bathroom so I don't have to do it, tomorrow morning.  It's already an early wakeup with me depressed and having to take a shower that early can really suck at times. 

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

The 1980s are calling, it wants it’s mauve back.

Paint with neutral colors so selling the house won’t mean you need to repaint over purple and mauve walls to get buyers

Anonymous said...

Many years ago I had a coworker who helped with a men's ministry in a very rough area. He always stressed how important their gym was to them. I still remember how excited he was whenever they received an equipment donation.

I hope they are able to take it to help their ministry. It is very kind of you to offer it to them.

Heather Knits said...

I have to think blessings come back on you and it is the right thing to do.

The house is definitely a starter and not high on anyone's list, 60 square foot kitchen, same for the bathroom, barely enough room for a tub and toilet. It will be made handicap accessible as well, but, again, ONE bathroom 900 square foot house... not high on a buyer's list unless they are looking to rent it, maybe.

Anonymous said...

Why not sell the equipment for 200 so you at least get some money for it. Really wasteful not to try and get something for it since you need the money and there is no rush to get it out of the garage right now.

Heather Knits said...

No one wants to buy all of it. They want the dumbells, the plates, or both, but NO ONE wants the big parts. Everyone wants the kettlebells which I am keeping. And no one is going to pay $200 for some dumbbells and weight plates, I would be lucky to get $50. I would just as soon give it to a worthy cause. I have had several people claim they wanted some or part of it and ALL have jerked me around and I am pretty sure one sold my name as I have been getting a bunch of travel agency emails.

Anonymous said...

Well as someone who has bought and sold a starter home of that size, and has many friends who have as well, those homes are high on peoples lists AND those details are as well. I’m just trying to help you.

Anonymous said...

You refuse to try all the apps available for buying and selling so there must be someone out there who wants some of it. Craigslist isn’t the only way to sell anymore.

Anonymous said...

Get a receipt so you get a tax write off

Anonymous said...

What a shame you can't sell it to get some money. That's too bad.

Heather Knits said...

I did Facebook marketplace and CL. I will get a receipt.

Who knows, maybe the guy picking up my donation will know a drywall guy and it will pay off that way.

Heather Knits said...

I want something we can live with and pretty sure I can get something that keeps all parties happy. I have about half a dozen floor samples coming in so you can help me pick that out.