Tuesday, January 21, 2020

What is it with Tuesdays really sucking?

I took a shower, at some point he threw the credit card at me and told me to take a Uber, took his vodka bottle, and went back to bed. 

Well, then.  I decided I could take a hint and did just that.  I had a little trouble figuring out how to add the credit card as a payment option, I could add it but I couldn't make it be the payment, easily, at first.  I did get it eventually. 

I got to work and took the money out, did the sales tax form, mailed it, stocked what I could, and left. for the bank.  I got to the bank, made the deposit, and called my aunt.  It is a very sad fact I did not want to go back to my residence, which absolutely did not feel Homelike.  It was pretty much the last thing I wanted to do. 

So I called my aunt and bitched.  She felt a little bad for Ron alone on his birthday but I told her any empathy I had was driven off after an hour of solid verbal abuse.  I decided to go to the Home Depot and get some paint samples. 

Dad loves research projects and he said the Behr Marquee was the best, I can get that at HD.  So I took a Uber there, got a cart, and headed over to the department.  I couldn't find a good cream paint chip, I got one that was OK but not "Oh wow I have got to get this it is perfect" like the other chip I have at home.  I need to find if they do matching. 

I got a nice medium purple, a blue with a little gray in it, a plain white, and their version of cream.  I wanted to test the white on the paint samples I had painted on my walls, some time ago.  They are a dark purple and need to be covered before the wall can be painted. 

And...the white did the job, very nicely.  I am happy with the brand, not happy with the cream, which seems like a plain white to me and NOT what I wanted, but this is why I bought the 8 ounce and not a gallon.  The purple is VERY nice, a winner, and very pretty.  I will make a little video later. 

The blue is good in Ron's room, I feel so picky saying I would have liked it a little grayer, but I will live with it for a few days first.  I am keeping my little jars of paint, and the sample cards, for reference. 

I also signed up for the "pro" loyalty program, I will apparently get discounts.  I will be spending some money there so it seems reasonable to get a discount if possible. 

I will need at least 5 gallons for my bedroom, hall, and front room.  One-two gallons for Ron's room, one gallon for the bathroom, 5 gallons of ceiling paint... The guys will bring their own tools but it will be a lot cheaper if I provide the paint, that way I know I like it and it is high quality.  That is a good sum so if I can get a percentage off I'll do it.  I will also need to buy the cabinet for the bathroom and the sink faucet for in there, ideally a cabinet for above the toilet as well...

Cha-ching.  So many people are getting rich off me. 

I came in and Ron was naked in his wheelchair, lost.  I found a huge puddle of urine in the hall.  I know, let's install hardwoods.  I cleaned that up.  Ron got another vodka bottle and went back to bed eventually. 

He kept screaming "Play the stupid game" which is something he says a lot, it basically means "Live your life, even though you detest it".  Eventually he managed to relate he wanted to go back to bed.  He had peed in the bed as well, I had to change it.  I took him, he almost fell out of bed and was mumbling about walking. 

I asked if he wanted me to pull him up in bed, he said yes.  I told him, 'You have to speak English to me".  He has this REALLY horrible habit of taking a mouthful of vodka and grunting at me for a couple of minutes.  He had me read to him, about alcohol, before his heavy drinking days, many years ago, and I read most alcohol is absorbed through the lining of your mouth.  So he has this thing where he will take a swallow and hold it in his mouth as long as possible because he feels that gets him drunker than just swallowing like a normal person.  And he grunts at me until I figure out what he wants... well, he wants me to - it is very rude, very, very, rude.  I have walked away from him when he does that and he gets angry because he "has" to swallow the vodka and talk to me like a human being.  He did that with a cab driver one day, kept grunting at her and she finally asked, in real concern, if he was OK.  He swallowed the vodka, laughing, and "explained".  She was pretty pissed. 

Then he starts up with his whole "What will I have to do before you put me in a nursing home?"  Not much, these days.  The irony, I told him, the nursing home will not let him drink and he won't need it anymore.  But he will be stuck because everyone would know he would go right back to the bottle on release. 

He never once said thank you for anything I do... just kept going on about "I see how it will be now" and the nursing home.  This is all me. 

The only thing I said was this: he asked me where I would put him.  I said I knew of one along a bus line and I would probably do that.  That is all. 

I did not make threats, this was all in his head that he is going into a nursing home.

Ron was a psychology major for about a year, in college.  One thing they did was have him read a lot of pop psychology books, the intimate enemy, pairing, I'm OK, you're OK, etc.  And he demanded I read them, too, so I could come up to his exalted level of understanding. 

This from a man who peed in the hall, today. 

So anyway one book talked a lot about "scripts", how someone will write a script for their life and make it happen, hell or high water.  An example is "I'm no good with money" and Ron failing to save for sales tax, and on one occasion loaning the money out to a disreputable person when he did save it, then going "Oh no!  I'm just no good with money!" 

Now he has the "I'm going to end up in a nursing home" script, doing whatever he can to drive me away, verbal abuse, bad behavior, blackouts every night, spending money on vodka above all else, etc.  Doing whatever he can to drive me away so I won't fight it when he does need a nursing home. 

Then, the "payoff" "And I can lie in my bed all day and be safe with no worries".  He really thinks it will work that way.  He is trying to make this happen, at my expense I might add. 

It makes me profoundly angry.  If he really wants to "check out" go ahead and do it but don't waste all our savings, run the business into the ground, etc. before you do it.  Don't destroy my health. 

Today I stood by the bed and I told him "If you fall I am going to let you, because I'm not wrecking my back for you".  That took him aback and he was much more careful moving after that.  But I'm not going to wreck my back, he's already literally pissed away our savings, which we could really use right about now... dragging me down with him because "I want to be safe in my bed at the nursing home". 

He has been in long term facilities twice before.  And both times they had other patients who were very loud screaming all night keeping him up.  If he thinks he will get a peaceful 12 hours he is kidding himself.  And the food!  Horrible.  No alcohol allowed... he is not thinking about that.  Not to mention he will have no SS check, just, what is it?  $80 a month and that is it.  He is NOT thinking it through. 

I will have a talk with him on this when he is sober, whenever that is.  He really has it in his head he can "quit" life and get everything he wants, waited on hand and foot, and it doesn't work that way.  God wants us striving every day, not "quitting" life sitting around draining vodka bottles having pity parties all day long.  I am CERTAIN God does not want that. 

And that's what frustrates me the most.  He wants to "quit" life and drag me down with him.  Then, today, almost in tears as he told me "I can't take care of you anymore".  He hasn't taken care of me in a real way in a very long time, he has just torn me down, pretty much ever since my diagnosis in 2006.  The verbal abuse only got really bad as I got "better".  I was better, he wasn't, huge imbalance - could have used some counseling at that point, looking back - so he became a drunk and a verbal abuser to "teach me my place".  He feels very threatened by my recovery. 

But then again I remember one night I was suicidal, before my diagnosis.  I put all the knives in a toolbox and gave them to Ron, asked him to put a lock and keep it out of sight please.  He threw a knife at me about an hour later saying "Why don't you do it?" in the most bitter and hate filled voice. 

He hasn't taken care of my needs in a very long time. 

31 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are going to need a ton of primer between the new drywall and The paint. A small bedroom is not going to need 5 gallons of just paint if you get a good paint. WHY don’t you just let the contractors handle this? Now you are wasting money on paint samples

As for Ron, tomorrow he will be husband of the year so whatever. You cycle through these same stories and scenarios with him it’s so predictable and I’m so sad for you and frustrated at the same time. God just walk away.

Heather Knits said...

Well, the stuff I'm looking at is paint and primer in one. It sure did a good job on the dark purple.

My room is about 11 feet square, then the hall and front room is about 20 feet square with 10 foot ceilings in front room. So I think 5 gallons will about do it.

BUT I need to find a good cream first because I am going to be looking at it for a very long time.

Anonymous said...

So you are OK with him intentionally urinating in the hallway and in his bed? I just don't get it.

And I agree with the other poster you will not save money on the paint by getting it yourself. The labor is the most expensive part. Have the just prime and paint everything and later if you could paint the rooms yourself that is where your savings will come into play.

Plus for cost savings on paint use a neutral color in most if not all the rooms. Stick to cream in the laundry, your room and even the bathroom (anything is better than a good awful pruple bathroom). What is the point to paint rons room when it is coated in urine and filth? Wait to paint it when he moves out. I saw a picture of the wall by his bed and it was covered in grime. Just a waste to have it painted.

Also the paint estimates are usually too high and you can't return tinted paint so better to buy less paint and have to get more than buy too much and be stuck with it. And yes if you have the color swatch with the number Home Depot can make it in the store.

And yes you do recycle the same stories. It is like ground hog day with you. He clearly wants to go into a nursing home. Take him to some and get the process started. Ironic he feels like he has to take care of you that was probably the most honest thing he has said in a while.

Anonymous said...

Why is the ceiling paint color on the actual wall? Did you do that when you painted? If you did please forget my suggestion about painting yourself. You clearly need it professionally done. Plus it is included in the cost of the insurance claim. Speaking of which why aren't you calling them to get an ETA of when you can get the money to get your walls put back together?

Heather Knits said...

I didn't put ceiling paint on the wall, just the plain white version of the brand I will be using. I wanted to see it's "hide" and it did an excellent job with one coat so happy. I agree I am a terrible painter.

Insurance already sent me a letter they are waiting on the adjuster, and he said he had to send the carpet sample to a company to be analyzed so they could see it's value... so probably hung up somewhere in there.

Anonymous said...

Call the insurance adjuster and tell him to get his ass moving.

Anonymous said...

You still need regular primer for the bare new drywall part. The primer and paint in one isn’t going to cut it there. I don’t put much stock in the 2 in 1 and I’ve used it.

Heather Knits said...

I am not OK with him peeing everywhere but if he can't help himself then it does no good to flog him. I will have a talk with him about nursing homes when he gets up. If he really wants to go I will stop fighting him on it, but he has to realize that means he will likely never see Baby Girl again. Or be able to drink. And I think either is a deal breaker for him.

Anonymous said...

So who painted those orange walls and didn’t cut in with the ceiling and make the edge nice and straight? Whoever that person was should not do the painting.

Anonymous said...

He’s peeing everywhere because he’s drunk, no?

Anonymous said...

He is not incontinent. He was drunk and pissed on the floor. If that is acceptable to you then you need help. Stop using the drinking and baby girl to stop him from going into the nursing home. It is wrong.

Heather Knits said...

I think for Ron it is a combination of being drunk and being unable. I think the hall time he got lost looking for the bathroom and couldn't hold it. I don't know what happened in the bed but I am glad we have separate beds, even if mine is a cot.

Heather Knits said...

I did the paint in the bedroom, it is gold, not orange... I was manic and very inexperienced. i am just happy I got paint on all 4 walls considering. Like I said, I had no idea what I was doing but the grey they had was so hideous I had to do something.

Anonymous said...

If that's the case he needs to start wearing depends.

Heather Knits said...

I need to cure him of the nudity habit first.

Anonymous said...

I can’t believe you haven’t left him yet. You never will.

Anonymous said...

time for adult diapers

Anonymous said...

What battle have you actually won with him? Him laying in bed without taking a bath is just vile beyond words. Ecoli is nothing to play around with. Even nudists bathe regularly and sit on towels.

Anonymous said...

But Ron is taking care of you financially. His social security or disability or whatever check plus the money from his business is all the money you both have.

He is telling you that he can't do it anymore. You are not listening.

Don't get me wrong, I understand that Ron is an abusive alcoholic. He is also a person who needs help. I suspect he has not bathed in the bathtub since before the initial water leak. Get him some services in the house at least for basic care and support if you are not going to pursue a nursing home. He is at least somewhat aware of his decline, and that is very difficult. There are plenty of services available to both of you that can help with this process.

Heather Knits said...

I did talk to him and explained a nursing home means no alcohol and no cats. He was a bit taken aback. Once things get a little more settled I would look into getting some more help.

Anonymous said...

No you won't do anything. At this rate your house won't be fixed until the spring.

Anonymous said...

You are threatening him with no alcohol or cat. Nice.

Anonymous said...

Don’t forget about the incident with the police when they came out. I thought you’d make an effort to keep him from drinking after that and take videos to protect yourself.

Anonymous said...

Telling him no alcohol and no pets is just a way to encourage him to stay at home and continue to provide financial support to you. It is manipulative and not entirely true.

I have family members in nursing homes. They can go home and visit family and pets. Ron could come home and visit all the cats. Some of my family members have access to alcohol as well. Ron probably shouldn't, but that would be up to the facility.

Stop procrastinating. Get your husband some help and support. Get yourself some help and support.

Anonymous said...

Ron doesn't need to go into a nursing home, what you both need is extra help to keep him at home. I agree you will lose everything if he is in a nursing home. You may not want to admit it but he is taking care of you financially. And, he is telling you he just can't work anymore. It doesn't matter if you do most of the actual work, it's still his business. He's tired, he's over 60 years old, and severely disabled. I think this birthday is so important to him because he realizes age along with his disabilities are catching up to him. He's being realistic, maybe you should be too. I wonder if some of his bitterness towards you is because he has felt he had to work to take care of you, and he feels guilty because he can't anymore.

Heather Knits said...

If he wants to resign the business I will accept it; my problem is the drinking makes him more feeble, depressed, etc. and harder to care for. The drinking has to stop or someone else needs to take care of him.

Heather Knits said...

And he'll get to keep the alcohol and cat if I walk? He won't even brush her, I can't leave her with him. No facility is going to let his enabler (not me) bring in cases of vodka, it's a huge liability issue. He might get a fifth now and then but nothing what he is drinking now.

Heather Knits said...

House getting fixed is entirely on the insurance company. I believe I was quoted $4K for drywall alone, and another couple thousand for paint.

Anonymous said...

You enable it by not pouring the alcohol down the drain after the first enabler brings it. You are able to physically stop him and you choose not to.

Anonymous said...

You can NOT cut an alcoholic off without killing him. He has to go through a medical detox. My dad detoxed in the hospital 2 or 3 times.

Anonymous said...

Ok, then put him in the hospital. How long will this drag on?