Friday, January 3, 2020

Friday afternoon

My aunt and uncle came to visit today.  I think they were able to pay more attention to some things due to the fact it was quiet and most of my stuff is gone (more every day).  They noted the absence of the bathroom sink. 

I told them it was no big deal, I use the kitchen sink for brushing my teeth, I could get a new cabinet and sink for $200, they sell kits at Home Depot.  I found a very nice white one for that in the right size.  They said maybe I could fix up/use part of what the guys left me and I said I don't want to fool with that, it would be a lot more labor for whoever did it and it would be cheaper in the long run to have the cabinet with built in sink.  Is it a fancy pedestal sink?  No.  But it will help me wash my hands and teeth, fill up a glass of water in the middle of the night. 

Ron heard this but didn't say anything.  Then it was the toilet, the inside has minerals and it is not appealing.  I said it doesn't matter because the toilet doesn't flush anyway.  Did I get a plumber out to replace the inside parts?  Yes, more than once, about 5 times we had plumbers out about the stupid toilet.  For that cost we could have just bought a new one which we will probably end up doing at some point.  In the meantime I flush with the bucket as needed. 

At another point I had discussed with Ron both sinks (kitchen and bathroom) will need faucets and asked him if he wanted the lever style or two knobs.  He asked why and I explained the kitchen faucet is leaking and the bathroom faucet is very old and, again, more labor to "move" it onto the new sink than to spend $50 for a new one and use that for a decade.  He said he didn't care; I told him I like the two knob style and will get those unless he changes his mind.  They are also, I hear, easier to install. 

A while ago he was sitting on the toilet and he asked me when I was expecting the new bathroom sink.  I said at the end of all this, he said he couldn't afford one right now. 

I would paint before installing the cabinet?  Console?  I would paint before installing the unit.  That is going to be a while down the road. 

Ron told me he was feeling overwhelmed by everything and very poor, I told him it was OK and we would get it.  I am glad I got him some ibuprofen, I found it very helpful for my toothache when I had my cracked molar/root canal.  That is all I took, actually, ibuprofen.  He says it is helping. 

He wanted to know why they were so struck by the loss of my cabinet/sink and I said most people can't fathom living without a bathroom sink, it is a bias.  Millions if not billions do every day, but your average American has trouble with it and probably one of the reasons everyone assumed we would stay in a hotel. 

Biscuit has been fine, by the way, wandering around.  He is sitting by my foot right now, very affectionate. 

The other vendor just got my message, apparently, about how we will not be getting her sandwiches on Monday.  We have a destroyed home we need to rebuild.  It should not come as a surprise we need to meet with a contractor.  I doubt many vendors would sleep in a wrecked house one minute longer than necessary to provide delivery sandwiches vs. Sam's Club frozen.  I know I won't.  Sandwiches are one of our worst sellers, very slow.  We used to sell about 100 a week, now we are lucky to do a dozen, and the price has gone up very little in the last 20 years considering. 

Everyone is bringing their own lunch these days and we are lucky to supplement with $1 or two in sales.  That is just our new reality. 

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ron is feeling poor. LOL! Good time to talk with him about how much he spends every single month on vodka. $500+ is a large chunk of change. A bathroom sink is a necessity as one usually washes their hands after using the toilet.

Anonymous said...

Why would the inside of your toilet have minerals in it? Sounds like you need a water softener for the house so that your toilet doesn't look like a crime scene. It is not normal to have to flush the toilet with a bucket of water. I believe this issue is more than just getting a new toilet installed.

Heather Knits said...

We, as a rule, only flush on the solids so we get mineral build up. I will be changing that policy. The out lines on the plumbing are great and that was actually checked as part of our last visit on the toilet. The mechanism that pushes the water into the bowl is defective, and at best only lasted a few years after we got the toilet. Remember the toilet is only 5 years old. Everything goes down great with a bucket of water, but pushing the lever just results in a weak little flush and the water barely swirls in the bowl.

Anonymous said...

You SERIOUSLY need to consider a pedestal sink, so Ron can use it with his wheelchair, not just you. If he can't get up to it, no wonder he doesn't use it. And a single lever handle on the sink has less moving parts and it handicap accessible. You are not thinking ahead on these things. With the toilet, we have a double layer on, it does not sweat on the floor. The toilet could also come with a lifted bottom, so Ron can get off and on easier. Your old sink was not handicap, you took a picture of it. It also gives the wheelchair a lot more room to turn. Best wishes and prayers, you have a lot going on, glad you got some shoes. We all go through these things, but Ron could get disability, his pride is in the way of making logical decisions...you need to listen to your Aunt and Uncle.

Anonymous said...

We have a softener...we still have mineral deposits...I put vinegar in the toilet to sit overnight, that helps a lot, a good splash of it after last flush at night.

Heather Knits said...

I don't need/want tile in my bedroom though, stained concrete will be fine. At some point I am taking Ron to Home Depot and getting him to actually feel various fixtures, see what he likes. The current toilet is somewhat elevated which has worked well for Ron. We would do that again, and I like the elongated. Other than that not picky as long as it does the job and easy to obtain replacement parts.

Yeah, I just don't think a softener is going to add that much value to our lives.

Anonymous said...

Look up your area agency on agency through the Houston Health Department. On the website, there is a tab for Health Promotion Programs. This lists residential repairs necessary to safely remain at home as a service.

Area agencies on Aging are amazing resources. I mentioned them to you once before because they have caregiver support programs.

I strongly recommend you reach out to them and talk to them. They may be able to help you with renovations to sinks and stuff so Ron can access them.

My Dad has used area agency on Aging services where we live and he loved them. Check out all the tabs on their site. They could help you and Ron in so many ways. Please consider them.

Heather Knits said...

Let me find out what is going on with insurance billing and contractors first. My understanding is I buy it now and the insurance pays me back, up to a reasonable limit.

Ron has been more concerned with getting the toilet chair back in his room right now. So we are doing that and it is pretty crowded!

Anonymous said...

I was thinking the area on Aging could help you with things not part of this flood, not covered by this claim. Like Ron's flooring in his bedroom and maybe some kitchen or bathroom modifications that would make it easier for him. Maybe some practical and safe storage in his bedroom.

Obviously you have to deal with this flood issue first, but keep them in mind.