Monday, January 6, 2020

Monday afternoon

It was a busy day. 

I got up around 7 (my default) and got ready as best I could.  My aunt came around 10, the contractor shortly afterward. 

I have a feeling he will be quoting a big sum.  He did say he knows some guys who do the concrete stain I want.  He seemed surprised I wanted it and talked some about wood grain tile - WAAY out of my budget! 

Stained concrete is fine and should be very easy to maintain.  Eventually I would like to do all 3 rooms in it. 

He found they put no insulation in my walls, when they built the house.  Somehow I am not surprised.  It is not the first example of shoddy construction.  I said I was not interested in ripping out all the drywall to redo that.  It has been fine for 15 years, our "light" bills are pretty low considering home size (about $100 a month).  So not overly worried about "fixing" that.  He said he would get back to us with a quote. 

The insurance lady handling our claim called Ron during this to see if we wanted a hotel, he said no.  Later on I got a shower so I am good until we do the repipe. 

A manager called from the plumbing company and sent someone out to me, he gave us a quote and we got the ball rolling on the repipe.  It starts Wednesday, I will have to do some clearing out.  I expected as much. 

It doesn't sound like much but it sure felt like it.  Oh, and my 'dog" house came and I can't put it together, I will sic Larry on it tomorrow.  He is busy today but said he would come by tomorrow night. 

I have had a headache most of today so I will probably not eat the mac and cheese again for dinner, I don't know what I will eat to be honest.  I am not super hungry and have had WAY too much caffeine. 

It sounds like the re pipe will be a 2 day job but then it is DONE. 

I got my shower so I'm good for a while.  We couldn't afford to replace the hot water heater and do the repipe but it was plenty hot for my shower.  The plumber did say something about it being a very tight fit for a water heater up into the attic.  I want to minimize debt if at all possible and would rather save up and pay cash when the time comes.  He will have to do more demo to do the work but so be it. 

I need plumbing.  I don't ask for much but I need electricity and plumbing. 

I have gotten 2 different views on how the repairs will be paid for:
1.  I pay out of pocket and insurance pays me back. 
2.  Insurance writes me a check. 

I am hoping #2 because that would be a lot easier but we will see. 

I will have to call our caseworker (?) and find out.  Ron did ask about one thing, how much to widen the doorway of the bathroom so he has an easier time getting in and out.  That will apparently go into our estimate. 

The contractor said they cannot reuse my old doors so I put them at the curb, they are standard interior doors so maybe someone will take them before trash day (I hope).  I know some people repurpose old doors into desks but that would be way too large for my house. 

I do plan to move the computer into the front room, near the TV. 

My aunt left somewhere between the general contractor and the plumber.  I did let her and my dad know what is going on with the plumber.  Dad because he is paying. 

Ron got pretty drunk during the plumber's visit which was embarrassing but there you have it.  We are going to work tomorrow, I'm not sure when, and then be home Wednesday and Thursday. 

This whole process has been exhausting. 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ron shouldn’t be involved at all. You should absolutely be using the hotel. Ugh.

Why not sell the hoise after all this and get an apartment. He’s not capable of being a homeowner.

Anonymous said...

Why couldn't ron wait until the plumber left to get drunk? Very embarassing.

Anonymous said...

Since ron feels so poor when will you talk to him about the $500 a month he spends on vodka? That is a rent payment for some people.

Anonymous said...

Agree with the first comment about using the hotel and Ron shouldn't be involved in these decisions. You need to clean out his room and get stuff done. He isn't helping, not even by being supportive.

Ron is not capable of being a homeowner. You, however, could learn to be a homeowner. I hope you are gaining some confidence from this process.

Heather Knits said...

I hope I am learning something from this, right now I am learning apartments are not as bad as I used to think they were! But plenty of apartments have bad maintenance so there's that.

I will be paying on this plumbing for years.

Heather Knits said...

I agree about Ron getting drunk, it was humiliating.

Anonymous said...

From now on don't tell Ron when workers are coming. He knew the plumber was coming, and I think he got drunk on purpose just to humiliate and embarrass you. He really is being vicious towards you.