Wednesday, January 8, 2020

Fixing it.

Well, I'm certainly becoming stronger and more independent. 

Just now I noticed the house was cool.  I checked the heater, the switch was on, but no heat.  I played with the thermostat.  Nothing.  It seemed to have: no power. 

There was a time I would call Ron to help and he would figure it out.  Those days are gone. 

I put on a jacket and went outside with my flashlight, and looked at the circuit breaker.  Nothing out of place.  I even closed the box cover correctly which is not easy. 

I came back in and remembered the switch in the attic.  There is a switch near a light bulb and if you don't know you assume they are related.  But if you flip it you kill the circuit to the furnace. 

I went up the ladder with my trusty flashlight and sure enough the switch was off.  The plumbers must have done it today.  I hate heights, and rickety ladders, I didn't even go up during the pipe breaks.  But I went up because it would be, what, a $100 service call we cannot afford. 

I reminded myself there would be a scary noise when I flipped it, because it was set to heat and the thermostat showed 75 and we had it at 82.  I flipped it and the furnace roared to life, good thing I reminded myself.  I very carefully went back downstairs, very pleased I had saved the household $100. 

I did get a splinter somehow but not too worried about that.  So I am happy about that. 

I am becoming more confident as a homeowner. 

Ron is still pretty variable so we will see what kind of sleep I get tonight. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bravo Heather! I hope today is a turning point for you in so many ways. You are capable of so much more than you realize.

Heather Knits said...

That is what I'm learning.

No person is going to take care of me, that is up to me. If I can't/won't take care of myself no one else will do it.

God is guiding me but this has been a very hard road.

Anonymous said...

I agree with anonymous that you are capable of more than you realize. Good job in figuring out the furnace issue! I have had to figure things out on my own during times when my husband was working odd/late hours or was sleeping, and while frustrating I’m glad I did it. It’s good to have those skills.

Anonymous said...

There ya go! And, I agree you are capable of more than you think. Not only does it save money, but each time you accomplish a new skill you will be proud of yourself. Even if you're not able to complete the task, you tried, and you will learn something from it.

I think we're seeing a new Heather, you go girl!