Sunday, January 19, 2020

Saturday and some of Sunday

I went to bed early and slept 12 hours.  Good sleep, getting used to that cot. 

Yesterday I got up, got Ron and I ready, went to the warehouse and bought stuff, took it to work and stocked, etc... had a really long wait to come home as our ride home was an hour late.  Then had an attitude. 

We got home, I worked on the computer for a while.  I bought some flooring samples (total cost, $13) and watched videos on how to install vinyl plank flooring (the leading contender for Ron's room, meeting the criteria of waterproof, affordable, attractive).  Then called my parents, who seemed pretty shocked that I had paid them, much less early.  I hate to think what they were expecting. 

After I hung up I went to bed...slept pretty good, too. 

I got up around 7 this morning and got on the computer, looked at the various spreadsheets I have.  I am pretty confident I can do the sales tax when Ron gets up.  Done that... not as meaty a payment as previously, due to terrible sales. 

The cats are all good, Cleo came in and ate, then went back out again.  I think she will always be about 80% feral.  I still love her and will do anything for her.  We just need to get the house back in order first. 

I got a letter from the insurance company, the adjuster hasn't sent in his report yet.  But at least it is in process.  It was nice of her to send me the letter rather than just make me call.  The adjuster seemed to feel sorry for us so maybe we will get a hearty payment. 

I feel like she, the agent, is doing everything she can for us and that is good.  I do think I need to raise the limit on my insurance and do the sewage backup coverage as well.  I am a little wiser, I hope.  I have all new pipes but eventually will need a new roof - as the old one is about 16 years old.  The water heater is AWESOME so no rush on that. 

My aunt did tell me something interesting, the new faucets on the tub have safety regulators in them that don't let the water get "good" and hot, it is just tepid to lukewarm.  That sounds utterly awful and SO glad I couldn't afford new tub fixtures in all this. 

I will need a new toilet.
New cabinet and sink for bathroom. 
Drywall in every room.  That is going to be the most expensive.  I did get great advice from Mike the Plumber not to drywall Ron's room until someone can "stub out" the bathroom sink drain as it needs to be redone.  Otherwise, they will just have to cut it again. 

Ron's wall was cut up pretty bad for plumbing.  But he never touches the wall and doesn't care.  We are experiencing more drafts in the house with the drywall and insulation gone between house and garage. 

After the drywall then the paint and that is pretty much the whole house. 

Then get my stuff back, sort it (most into dumpster) and move it back in.  It will be so nice to sleep in my own bed again. 

I've said this: a lot of people are going to make some money off my troubles. 

I did get the water bill and it was the same as usual, so we didn't lose thousands of gallons.  It was enough, though. 

So I am trying to plan all that, get flooring samples and see what I want to live with.  I am thinking Ron's room in a light wedgewood, walls, and then gray flooring with vinyl planks which are waterproof. 

Not sure about my room yet, it gets more traffic, I did find some nice wood look tiles but I will need to see HOW MUCH to install and how much insurance will pay as well. 

It was great, though, yesterday someone threw up on the concrete and super easy to clean.  I have discarded, pretty much, the concept of staining the concrete as it involves several steps, involves acid, and will basically drive us from the home until it is done. 

I have learned my lesson from the plumbers, I managed to sell the idea to Ron while making it seem like his idea (very important) that we could stay in one of those $200 a week hotels during the worst of the renovations so it wouldn't disturb him, as he does really badly with loud noises and chaos.  Insurance will pay us back.  And it will be less stressful for all of us; I can get him settled at the hotel and then go to the house and "help", then come to the hotel when it's all done for the day. 

I just never thought he would have a problem like that, with the noise.  But he did. 

It's a lot to consider.  My aunt said I will likely need to hire separate subs vs one contractor to do it from start to finish.  That will be more difficult. 

She has a guy she likes but what is he going to charge?  One thing contractors hate about my home it was not built well, either.  The drywall guys were just horrified the house was built with no insulation at all in the exterior walls, and some of the interior ones we checked.  The studs and electrical are OK, as far as I can tell, we have a good roof for now, but it is a lot and I don't want a crappy job. 

How do you make a contractor care about a job done right when it wasn't done right to start?  Good question. 

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your insurance company will NOT replace your roof unless it is damaged by hail or wind. So don't waste your money upping the coverage since insurance isn't designed to cover routine maintenance. It has been a month since this happened and they are not moving fast on this at all. You need to call them and light a fire under their asses. Funny how you are still focused on ron and getting flooring for him when you have no floir and no furniture. I honestly don't get it .

Anonymous said...

The flooring needs to be the same in all the rooms. Not tile in one vinyl in another. Since you will probably be selling soon because ron will be in a nursing home. I suppose you will pay for the new floor in rons room too.

Anonymous said...

Lots of old homes have no insulation in the walls because if any was put in it has since disintegrated. We redid the drywall in parts of our old house (built in 1940) and there was no insulation. But walls were wet plaster, so thick. We put up new insulation of course and the difference in the winter was drastic of course!

Anonymous said...

That is not true about nee bathroom fixtures. More than likely they have the temperature on their water heater set to low.

Anonymous said...

We had vinyl plank flooring put in a few rooms. We love it. Great with the pets, waterproof, easy to clean. We bought the supplies through Home Depot and arranged for installation through them.

Home Depot where I live has contractors that they work with. You pay Home Depot for the service and materials. If you have any problems with the work, you can take it up with Home Depot (right through your local store). We have used them for our flooring and a few other things we couldn't do ourselves. The contractors I have met seem to really value their relationship with Home Depot and work accordingly to maintain their sweet contract.

Have fun picking flooring.

Heather Knits said...

I know insurance won't pay for a roof, but I need to put "roof" on the list of things to save for in the future.

I need to figure out what I want in the rooms so I will be able to say "that" with authority when we do have the money in hand. I need to figure this out as all 3 bedrooms need flooring, and Ron absolutely needs something water proof.

I am considering getting the same vinyl plank in all 3 bedrooms but haven't decided yet. I an not overly worried about 50 cents a square foot as we do not have a lot of footage, maybe 300 for all 3 rooms. It is going to be the LABOR that gets us. The stuff I am looking at all has goo warranties and excellent reviews. Ron's room and computer room will be tricky as the doorway is on the diagonal on both rooms.

Anonymous said...

You don't even know if the insurance company is going to cover your claim yet. What happens if they don't?

Anonymous said...

Contractors with Home Depot overcharge. Do not go with a Home Depot contractor.

Heather Knits said...

I'm pretty sure they would have denied it already if they were leaning that way.

If they do refuse to pay I call our local news station... I trimmed Ron's beard, give him a bath and get public pressure... if that doesn't work then save up and pay for it ourselves, maybe get another part time job.

We have a bipolar friend who loves to do home repair. Pay for a ticket for him to come out and help. Just some of the ideas.

Anonymous said...

If you can’t afford upkeep or potential catastrophes of a home that insurance doesn’t cover, dont own a home. Not trying to be rude- just saying that it might make more sense given your overall situation to live in an apartment. One that is accessible, has amenities for disabled, etc. then you can get a real part time job and end the vending thing.

Heather Knits said...

If it gets to the point I physically can't work the way I can now I will consider it.

Or....

I could get a tenant! [grin]

Wouldn't that be a cluster... ?

Anonymous said...

You really are messed up. Talking about getting a part time job. Getting roomates. I really think you are off you meds or off the deep end at this point.

Heather Knits said...

I am KIDDING about the tenant, which would be a terrible idea. Ever seen the movie "Pacific Heights"?

Anonymous said...

Good to know you were kidding about the roomate. I really thought you lost it.

Anonymous said...

Yes, same flooring in all rooms is so much nicer, keeps the flow. I don't see why your claim should be denied, but with insurance you never know. I hope they cover everything.

Heather Knits said...

My hope they cover everything but Ron's room. My concern is finding a decent contractor(s) who will do quality work for a reasonable price.

Anonymous said...

The insurance company can recommend contractors they will cover as well I bet? Why not ask