Thursday, January 30, 2020

A trip to the Waffle House

Ron and I came to an agreement, when we eat out we will take paratransit to the destination and then take a Uber home.  He has fit in every Uber so far, only one had stuff in her trunk (? why?) and the wheelchair wouldn't fit but we got a new driver for no charge. 

I woke up, went in Ron's room to check on him.  Saw some water underneath a coupler on the wall.  I am very glad we did not close up the drywall.  I took a picture and sent it to the plumber.  It was not extreme, just some moisture on the 2x4 underneath.  I took a shower and it was still OK, flushed the toilet, fine, so I didn't worry about it when we went to the Waffle House. 

Ron is having problems sitting up for very long, in his wheelchair.  It isn't as bad if he's working but is very bad if he is out shopping or eating.  I gave him some Kratom at one point which did help.  I have quite the arsenal in my fanny pack, hemp cigarettes, kratom in 3 varieties, etc.  We had a good meal but were finished by 10:45 and we weren't due to be picked up until after 12. 

Then Mike the plumber texted me he was on the way.  I hailed a Uber (3 minutes) and we went home ($12).  That's when Ron and I agreed to take a Uber home rather than paratransit, when we eat out, which, frankly, isn't very often these days. 

We barely beat Mike home, he said he had never seen that (a leaking T valve), they redid it, and left.  I hunted for some contractors. 

First guys quoted me $13K, about $6K for drywall and painting. 
I put out a request on Angie's list. 
Today's first guy also quoted me that, and he doesn't know about the laundry room ceiling. 
Second guy (I like what I heard, over the phone) is coming at 2:30.  We will see what he quotes. 

Everyone so far has had really good reviews.  It doesn't have to be luxury work but I want a repair that will stand. 

A little backstory, we had a very bad flood in Houston, Allison, you can look it up on Wikipedia.  Our house was actually OK with floodwaters standing in the yard, but not in the house.  Then the [censored] law enforcement came along in their air boat, which created a wake that went into, and flooded, ALL the homes on the street.  And they would have been fine up to that point.  So the house, I have been told "got a couple inches" of water, so they had to do the drywall.  Well, whoever did it did a terrible job with the taping.  You can see the seams.  That hasn't been a huge issue for me but I do NOT want more seams. 

Ron talked to a friend who is involved in a handyman ministry, literally begging them to come help.  Nothing. 

So we are on our own.  I have tried to be sensitive because I don't want Ron to feel unmanned but he has been very clear this is my project.  So I am trying to find someone reliable.  Then we get to work. 

We will likely have to stay in a hotel for some of it.  I just don't see Ron doing well with the noise.  I will talk to him, though.  I think he will be OK for insulation and maybe drywall.  He will absolutely have to go (and cats locked out) for painting.  Flooring as well, that's going to be very loud. 

The house is "packed out" so it will be easy for the men to work in my room and computer room, then we can move Ron's stuff to the computer room when they do his room, but I don't want to do it for about a month.  Mike told me it is best to wait about a month after plumbing work, leave it open so it can be easily adjusted if necessary. 

Plus insurance is not covering anything in Ron's room, that will be on us.  I really want to get the drywall closed off for now and then paint, flooring can wait a little bit if I have to save some more money (although I did not choose an expensive option).  Ron's room can, and should, wait a little while.  It is perfectly reasonable to focus on my room. 

I will be glad to get my bed back. 

No comments: