Friday, January 10, 2020

Friday

So nice to hear the washer running in the background; I was really worried I would have to buy a new set.  It's a very good washer for most loads.  The worst problem I have had is very dark loads need 2 rinses or you see soap residue. 

So I got up, took a shower, got ready.  Got Ron ready, off to the warehouse BUT the driver was new, and an hour late, so Ron had to call Jack and delay our ride to work. 

We eventually got to work and they had borrowed my cart AGAIN and put it back wrong.  I will have to let them know, very diplomatically, I will need them to leave it alone Friday mornings so I can get my stuff. 

There were a couple of people up front yelling at the office staff about their paychecks which happens every year.  It really doesn't inspire me to ever hang up my vending apron and go work for them. 

We did it all and came home. 

Everyone has been bugging me the insurance might may for the re pipe, I never thought they would because it is maintaining the home, not repairing it, really.  I was afraid to call my insurance because I hear so many horrible stories...but I got up my nerve and did because Dad was pretty worked up about this. 

I think Dad was hoping insurance would pay so I wouldn't have to pay him back.  I am ABSOLUTELY paying Dad back, there is no question, but I think he feels bad about "wanting" it back.  He shouldn't, it is his money. 

I don't think he has the resources he could have just made it a gift, and, at the end of it, HIS money.  I am paying.  I even asked them if Google Pay would be OK. 

So I called, went to voicemail, left a message with our claim number.  She got back to me in an hour, first thing I said, thanks for calling so fast. 

She said, first of all, they are not paying for the pipes and I said I figured that but I had to ask, then we moved on to what is going on with my claim: it is being processed and she will get back to me Monday or a little later.  Excellent.  I thanked her and we left it at that. 

I am happy with the company, and her.  She has been very kind and professional.  So far a very good claim experience. 

So that was done, I was really avoiding it.  I sent Dad a text and he was disappointed but I said I was OK with it, and I am. 

I ordered some dinner, which was very good.  My Walmart delivery came, I got everything.  He was very sweet and worried about the ice cream which was fine.  I got my detergent!  So I can do laundry!  The movers packed all my detergent and took it away when they cleared hte house. 

I brought my stuff in and pretty much immediately did a load of laundry.  It is running right now. 

So nice to wash my own underwear and a big load off my aunt having to come and get it.  I went through my clothes and I have 3 pair jeans - plenty - and about 6 t-shirts.  I could use an additional t shirt or two.  I can also use socks.  I have, again, about a half dozen pair.  I have a couple bras so fine there.  I have a zip front hoodie.  And my nightgown and that is literally all the clothing I possess right now. 

Kind of liberating. 

So I have a plan to go buy Ron more paratransit tickets tomorrow, then take a Uber to my bank (I got a love offering and need to deposit the check), then Walmart to get some socks and tshirts if they have some.  I am partial to the men's, with a pocket. 

And it takes a licking... I just put the laundry in the dryer.  So glad the guys checked it out. 

I am developing a great affection for men in the trades.  They are all really hard workers, dedicated, skilled.  They deserve a lot more respect than they get. 

It's going to be so nice to sleep in tomorrow.  I probably won't sleep past 8 but it will be nice to turn off my phone tonight.  I am going to do that right now. 

I just need to get the tickets (or Ron can't go to the dentist, Tuesday), go to my bank, pay the electric bill, and do my shopping. 

Tonight I need to install the faucet filter (I bought a new one as Ron is very partial, and they're only $20) and finish doing the laundry.  The cats are good.  Ron is asleep.  I moved all my clothes out of his room into the front room.  It is better for me to have everything in the same place. 

I have no problem wearing the same tshirt or jeans for a few days if they are in good condition.  That will help cut down on my laundry load.  I found a laundry tablet (that cleans the washer) in a box of laundry room things the movers forgot to take and am using that to run a clean cycle on my washer.  The manual said once a month so I aim for that.  I normally do it on the first but that didn't really happen this month. 

I guess I will go attack that faucet filter before the antipsychotic gets me too groggy. 

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why isn't his root canal covered by Medicaid?

Heather Knits said...

He doesn't have Medicaid, income limits. He just has plain old Medicare classic so no dental.

We do have a discount plan which got mine down to $1200 but still a lot of money. We will see on Tuesday, I would be delighted if it were a filling but not hopeful due to his poor diet and oral care.

He could probably spend $20K on his mouth if he won the lotto. I would be a couple hundred.

We do have a credit card we ONLY use for things like this so we can pay, I don't want to appear we can't. It will be a thousand dollars I could have used to fix the house, though. That is what I can privately say I resent.

Anonymous said...

He literally never brushes his teeth. Ever? So what’s the point.

Anonymous said...

Why does it have to automatically be a root canal? Why not just a simple filling? Just like how you thought the plumber you used ALL those years was a good company I have a feeling that this dentist is also screwing you over on dental work.

Heather Knits said...

Ron seldom goes in unless he is in excruciating pain. So by that point it is a root canal.

Brushing his teeth is a condition of getting romantic (sorry TMI) but other than that, no.

The dentist actually tried to do a filling on my molar when part of it broke off, it probably should have been a root canal then but he says he considers us friends - it didn't hold so I did have to get the RC back in November, that has held up nicely. I don't think he is hosing us like the plumber.

My only real complaint on the dentist would be the fact the office staff take forever to call you.

Anonymous said...

He could probably get Medicaid buy in. This is Medicaid for people with qualifying disabilities who work. He may have to pay in some, but it would qualify him for lots of services he needs (and could relieve you of some caregiving tasks).

I looked it up for Texas on the Texas Health and Human Services website. It is under Medicaid buy in for adults.

It can be something you discuss when you call the hotline for help. It could take some of the burden of his care off your hands and get some professionals in to document his behavior and overall health.

Anonymous said...

A few months ago you would have said the same thing about the plumber and look at how that turned out.

Heather Knits said...

The plumbers we used (a national company) never charged us less than $400 a job, no matter how big or small. I had been unhappy with them ever since they hosed us for $600 for what should have been a simple sink stopper job, right before Christmas.

Anonymous said...

I am assuming the reason you continued to use a plumber who was obviously ripping you off was because ron made the decision to continue to use them. Same with this dentist. No dentist in good conscious could look at rons teeth and continue doing root canals on him (it would be very obvious to a dentist how long a person has gone without brushing their teeth).

NOTE: not all teeth that are painful require a root canal. A root canal should only be done if the root is decayed. Most times a filling is all that is needed. BUT a filling is far less expensive than a root canal.

If you need a root canal, it’s not a bad idea to get a second opinion, just in case you could resolve the cavity with a less expensive and invasive procedure.

4 Warning Signs of a Fraudulent Dentist

1. Urgency Without Details
If your dentist tells you that you need to have a procedure done immediately, ask why. A dentist who is vague about this could be pressuring you into a procedure.

2. Heavy Work That Comes Out of the Blue
The number one warning sign is when you sit in a dentist’s chair for the first time and are told you need a bunch of procedures of a type or quantity you’ve never needed before. Trust your gut on this one. If you’ve never had a cavity in your life and at your first appointment with a new dentist, she tells you that you need 12 fillings, that’s a red flag.

3. Deals That Are Too Good to Be True
A common pattern I see is dentists that use a deeply discounted or even free cleaning or checkup to get you in the door, and once you’re in the chair, hit you with thousands of dollars of work that you don’t need.

4. Not Showing You X-Rays
Does your dentist show you what s/he sees on your x-rays and point out the lesions and how they differ from healthy tooth structure? They should!

Looking over x-rays to talk through a treatment plan should be a group effort between the dentist and patient. Avoid working with a dentist who is hesitant to show you their findings on an x-ray.