Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Wednesday afternoon

I am pretty pleased with myself.  

I had some energy, I cleaned out the big cupboard in the kitchen and also did the stove.  I have found the Method spray cleaner (pink grapefruit) to be very effective and it doesn't aggravate Ron.  It can be hard to find a cleanser he is OK with.  And it gets grease, so, yay.  

Anyway I did all that put some liners and decided to test the burners.  I don't use the stove very often I am more likely to use the rice or crock pots.  The right side worked fine but the left side wouldn't light.  

I took everything off the stove and opened the lid.  I could see a small flame on the right (gas stove of course) but not the left.  So, the light was probably out.  

I had a couple of choices.  I am very leery of anything to do with gas appliances.  Normally I let someone else handle it.  But it probably just needed a light.  I remembered seeing a technician light the stove with a long handled lighter years ago when Ron accidentally got the gas cut off.  When they turned it on, they had to come out and light everything.  

I had a long handled lighter.  So I fired it up, and the pilot lit.  I closed the top and tried the burner knob, both front and back lit nicely.  So, that was done.  

In a lot of ways I was sort of programmed to be helpless so it's a big deal.  

I also often don't initiate cleaning, think "Now's a good time to clean the kitchen" but I am starting to wire myself that way.  Hope the social worker doesn't read that!  LOL  What I mean: I generally clean when I have energy I just have to recognize it, I am a lot better at that now.  It is easier to keep a home nice than to fix it.  

But the kitchen looks great now.  I am glad I got the liners in there it looks so much better.  I have the square kind, the gas stoves often have them.  I do like cooking on the gas stove but I'd be lying if I said it doesn't make me nervous.  

Ron's parents had those old time gas space heaters, now those made me very nervous and gave me terrible headaches, too.  Only the poorest old houses have those, I think, in Houston.  We have a gas furnace and it gets the house TOASTY in the winter, the first time, to be honest, I was ever really warm in the winter since Virginia.  Conventional electric furnaces are either too expensive to run to a pleasant level or just not up for the job.  I am very happy we bought a house with a gas furnace.  

After I did half this post I took a shower and shaved my legs.  That is a lot more important in the summer.  I have some really good razors they last forever and do the job.  That's one thing I don't cheap out on, razors and toilet paper (if at all possible).  Even female supplies I can generally find something but not the razors.  I tend to have some more energy in the late afternoon most days.  The plan is to just take my shower in the afternoon every day, we will see how that works out.  

It is better for germ warfare as virus can hitch a ride on clothes/hair so better to wash it off.  

Totally unrelated note my "I am up do you need anything?" routine with Ron is working very well.  That way he isn't interrupting me.  

I made a delivery order then talked to Ron (wrong order), he said he did not want the protein bars (I only refer to them as salted caramel nut to him), I had to cancel that.  I also found my measuring cups so I could cancel them.  

Oh, I forgot the water I need to put that on.  I will check in later.  

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMGosh pilot light being out could be the cause of headache, didn't you smell gas?

Funny I was brought up to be independent at a very young age unlike you. Both my parents worked, I basically took care of myself. One time when I was five my mom forgot to set the alarm for me to wake up and get to kindergarten. So when I woke up I thought I overslept (I couldn't tell time yet). Well, I was way too early for school, so, the nuns took me into their house and gave me breakfast. Can you imagine what would happen to my mom if that happened now? LOL

Anonymous said...

Forgot to say good job, Heather, that was a big thing for you.

Anonymous said...

I love the Method brand cleaning products. My favorite scent in the all purpose spray is the Lime and Sea salt. The body washes are also great and leave your skin so soft and smooth. My husband bathes in the Olive leaf.The scent while in the bottle is totally different than the scent it leaves on the skin.

Mrs Meyers also has a good line of cleaning products. I like the Geranium dish liquid and the Lemon verbena. I have the honeysuckle all purpose cleaner and it smells like the real thing. I don't care for strong scents.

Anonymous said...

If the pilot light was out and gas was leaking they would have been dead from an explosion.

Anonymous said...

Get a new stove that does not need to have a pilot light constantly lit to work. Your stove must be at least 20 plus years old.

Heather Knits said...

The stove came with the house so at least 16 years old. I don't use it much as Ron doesn't like me heating the house in the summer.

Anonymous said...

He keeps the heat set to 90 and he doesn't want you to use it because it years up the house. Do you even realize the disconnect in that statement? And again another example of ron making the rules and you dutifully listening. What rules do you put on Ron? Just curious.

Heather Knits said...

Mainly my rule for him is a very strong mandate not to bother me when I am sleeping. Usually he is good about that.

If he is truly ill or needs assistance I will get up for him but I don't view "I didn't eat all day and said no the 5 times you asked but now it's 1 AM and I want a breakfast bowl" as an emergency, and dealt with that by providing caramel nut protein bars, and various types of crackers, for those times. If he tries to wake me up to feed him I will tell him to eat his snacks. Suddenly he got a lot better about eating during the day.

We are also in conflict about one rule - this came up at work today, if he "needs" me and a customer requires aid, I will make him wait. He feels I should tell the customer to shove off and run over to him but I do not unless it is a true emergency. The rest of the time I make him wait.

He is waited on hand and foot 24/7, it won't harm him to wait a minute or two now and then while I aid a customer, and they always love hearing me tell him to wait.

Anonymous said...

You really are delusional he wakes you up all the time at night.

Heather Knits said...

No, he doesn't... he was starting a bad little habit with not eating all day and then demanding food at night, but I stopped that with the crackers/protein bars.

I wake up sometimes *on my own* which is when you see those 1-3 am posts.

Anonymous said...

Yeah right.