Tuesday, May 26, 2020

I got permission before sharing this. Ron: "I don't know these people"

So I fixed Ron up this morning, bed bath, deodorant, brushed his hair, dressed him, etc.  He wasn't far wrong when he said he was my big Ken doll I got to dress every day. 
 
I got him in the wheelchair.  As we are about to leave the house, the driver just moments away, I remembered his eyes.  He has prosthetics and they get a little goopy.  So I gave him a wet wipe to clean them (the unscented baby wipe works well).  He raised his hand to his face and said:
 
"My eye fell out.  Is it on the floor?" 
 
I looked all over the floor (this was not my first eye hunt although I doubt we have discussed it before).  I didn't see it. 
 
He couldn't ride paratransit with a hole in his head, can you imagine the driver's reaction?  Thank God we caught it before the ride arrived. 
 
I searched the floor carefully and found nothing, I took him back to bed, searched the covers, nothing.  I told him to search between his bed and the wall. 
 
He told me to go outside and wait on the driver, explain.  I did for about 10 minutes, no driver.  I went back in the house.  He said he had called and the poor dispatcher had been very flustered when he explained the problem, but ABSOLUTELY agreed NO ONE wanted him to ride without his eye. 
 
This has brought up an issue for me, I need a cheap, very dark, pair of sunglasses for Ron if this happens again and we can't find the eye.  I asked if he wanted to get new eyes and he said no.  It is his face.  It was a fairly long process back in 1999 and the solvents gave me a horrific migraine. 
 
He found the eye by the time I came back but work is out for the day. 
 
What a morning.  Thank God he did keep the eye closed when I looked at him. 
 
I generally avoid eye contact it is a bad habit and I need to look at his face more.  And get those sunglasses. 
 
But it could only happen to us.  I did make sure he washed it off before he put it back. 

No comments: