Wednesday, December 18, 2019

Till the love runs out

I went back to bed around 4, fell asleep, and slept a couple of hours.  I feel pretty rested now getting up.  I took my pills, and did up 2 more weeks. 

Last night I told Ron about Mama cat and Cleo getting snagged on things, with their claws.  He immediately went to "Take them to the vet to get their claws trimmed".  I told him I had got the clippers and he got very upset. 

He was worried I would hurt and upset the cats, reasonable fears.  I told him I wouldn't use them if it upset him that much and he again repeated taking them to the vet. 

And we are already frequent flyers at the vet.  We spent more than 2 weeks of my pay already this month.  But he did have a point. 

Later on that night I got up and I heard Ron talking.  I asked if he was talking to me and he said no, he was talking to the cats.  He continued "Now, if she tries to clip your nails I want you to bite and scratch, OK?  You do that."  I was laughing by now.  "And I will give you extra treats." 

I will "try" with Mama cat when the clippers come in but experimentally she has not been letting me handle her feet.  Worst case I can take her in with Spotty when he gets his shots next month and have them trim her (It's only $15, and I am already paying the cab fare for Spotty). 

I ordered 2 new litter boxes, which will hopefully keep the flinging to a minimum.  I understand they want to cover, and I want them to cover, but litter all over the floor every day.. ugh, I hate stepping on it in bare feet.  The current one I just got has been great and really cut down on the flung litter. 

It helped with another issue I won't detail because yuck. 

I went on the Chewy website - now I can do some damage on Chewy.  One year my stepmother gave me a Target card.  I really could have used a Chewy one!  I saw the Tasty Treasures beef and liver flavor.  I gave a can to the cats yesterday and they loved it.  It is basically mixed grill with extra liver in it, and a piece of beef was in the room when they canned it. 

I thought about getting another case... but would they eat it?  Some times they only eat one can and never touch it again.  Which is why I buy multiples, at least 2 of each flavor I try on the cats.  I called them (it didn't take much) they all ran over and I served it up.  They did some pretty good damage to it, and I had to chase Biscuit off even. 

If I knew a meteor was going to take us out in an hour I would open a can of every variety in the house and let Biscuit binge on cat food.  It's funny, he wasn't that into it when he could eat that stuff.  But I was serving another brand and not Friskies. 

I don't perceive Friskies as having the "best" food but it is very appealing to my cats.  And that gourmet can will just rot on the floor if they don't want it.  I would rather have something with dubious meat byproducts, that they're eating.  I was admiring someone's fur (I forget who) last night, very soft and silky, plush.  Baby Girl is growing her fur back at a good rate (I am still grooming her every day), so it's good for them. 

You can always tell by the fur. 

I am going to go back to shopping.  I have plenty silvervine catnip blend which really affects the boys and Torbie.  I also have a refillable toy I put the 'nip into.  Mainly I just sprinkle it on the floor, that is the nice thing about being the housekeeper. 

I may get more refillable toys. 

I am listening to "Till the love runs out" on a one hour loop. 

That's it for now. 

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

What's the difference if you clip their nails or the vet does it?
$$$$$$ Good grief.

Heather Knits said...

He's worried I'm going to hurt her. I have trimmed cat nails before and it went fine. It is really up to the cat. Mama was fine for the vet trimming her so I am hoping she will be easy for me. I will try one claw. If it does not go well off to the vet next month.

Anonymous said...

Ron is such a D-bag. Clipping the cats nails at home is no big deal. Does he realize how much money it would cost to maintain ALL THOSE FEETS on six cats by doing it at the vet?? I’ll bet there are YouTube videos demoing easy ways to clip so the cat doesn’t squirm.

Anonymous said...

Oh please. Let HIM pay for it then, and your cab fare.

Heather Knits said...

I am only worried about Mommy's and Cleo's claws being too long. Everyone else has a healthy scratching life, I have things everywhere for them.

Cleo is only going for severe illness and shots. Mama can go with Spotty, though.

Anonymous said...

You’re really going to take them to the vet for a trim because Ron wants you to? Remind him they aren’t “his” cats

Anonymous said...

Wrap your cat in a towel, like Dr. Pol does when he clips the talons on birds.
It's NOT brain surgery.

Alex said...

FYI: Your Amazon Wishlist doesn't currently allow shipment directly to you, and most of your readers won't have your address (nor should they).

In order for the carrier to be shipped from Amazon to you (by someone who doesn't already have your address), I think you need to enable 3rd party address sharing on your Wishlist. According to Amazon, this will allow the buyer to ship directly to you, and to protect your privacy, only your name and city will be visible to the buyer (not your full address).

Would you prefer the Two-Door Top-Load Pet Kennel (hard shell), or the soft-sided collapsible one on your Xmas list? I personally recommend the collapsible one, because it takes up less space if you are moving the cats all at once. It is up to you, though.

Heather Knits said...

@ Wishlist, I will go fix that! No point in having a list if no one can send anything. Collapsible would probably be better.

If I can't do the nails - and it is possible Mama will fight me, then I will take her along when Spotty gets his booster in a couple of weeks. He has to go in anyway; I have to hire the cab anyway, so it may be easier to tag her in and do it that way.

I am not deeply invested in "winning" the cat claw trimming debate with him. Now, feeding Biscuit normal foods I would fight - but who trims the nails? Really?

She did find a cardboard scratcher she is using a lot so hopefully that will do the job naturally.

Anonymous said...

It’s not really about winning- he shouldn’t have a say in it. Plus, you guys cannot afford to pay all that for claw trimming. Tell him it will have to come out of the vodka money! Lol

Alternatively you could work with mama and Cleo to encourage scratching post use.

Heather Knits said...

Oh, worst case I would just pack Mama along with whoever was going to vet and have her rolled in. She made it to 2 (?) years without my help.

But I will work on scratching behaviors. She really likes that one scratcher on the couch so I will leave it there.