Wednesday, December 25, 2019

Christmas morning

So still battling a migraine and didn't sleep well.  Ron and I are pretty certain we will stay at one of those $200 for a week motels starting Thursday, and board the cats. 

I opened my presents, Ron felt horrible he couldn't get me anything but I reminded him I am getting a remodeled house out of this.  I want a plum carpet in the bedroom with lavender walls, I think that would be really pretty and go with my purple stained dresser. 

I opened my presents from Mom and Dad - more than usual this time.  The mystery package from yesterday proved to be the pipe cleaners I had forgotten I'd bought. 

I was delighted to find a cat carrier, God knows I need one (ideally I can use 2 more, 24 inches long).  I also got a vest and a soap collection which will be great.  Ron got some batteries (requested) and a heated throw.  He was excited about the throw as he is always cold. 

We had a good little time.  Then I went out in the garage and got rid of 95% of the flooded clothes.  Like I told Ron, they are not precious, they can be easily replaced...I don't see a need to cling to something that is going to take a lot of work to restore - some had plaster dust on them too.  Especially something so easily replaced. 

Yes in an ideal world I would have documented everything for the insurance company, but I had them in the laundry room because I wasn't wearing them.  That's the end of it.  I also had some socks and underwear which were toast and I was not hanging onto soggy underpants that were dirty to begin with.  Yuck. 

I was tempted to strew them over #6's yard, though.  [grin]  Make him pick them up! 

If I had daily use items that had more than a $3 value each I would have documented but not worried about this.  I am just happy we have only paid for the plumber so far. 

I do have the first plumber's invoice maybe we can get paid on that - if not it is proof for insurance adjuster I had someone out.  Although they don't see worried about my timeline.  It came on suddenly - my aunt has a photo of that thing GEYSERING.... let me see if I can post it. 

Here it is...

And a photo of me right after the ceiling fell in.  


You actually get a pretty good look at the hole behind my right shoulder.  

So they are fine, the adjuster was most worried did we have a mediation company out yet, and very relieved when I said we did, they had been doing work, he said that was great and not to worry, he would see us Monday.  He had a lot of cases going at the same time, it's not just me having problems around Christmas.  

I think the worst was hearing about the sewage backups.  I need to get that coverage settled because Eric (estimator) said we didn't have it on our policy.  We got lucky this time

Ron is in pretty good spirits and handling it very well.  Basically it seems all we have to do it sit pretty and sign forms now and then, we can do that.  

Tomorrow will be interesting, I go into work early, get a delivery, stock (if needed), take some money if there's enough, come home (doing Uber both ways).  Then help the crew and get the cats loaded so I can take them to the vet to be boarded for a few days.  Maybe find a hotel around here, we have a lot of extended stay ones.  I think this will all be done in a month or so but I just want a bed.  It is not fun for me, a fat, middle-aged lady, to sleep on the floor.  

I might just get an air mattress, especially if the cats are gone so I don't have to worry about them puncturing it.  We might do the "hot cot" thing where Ron and I rotate sleeping in his bed... there is only room for one twin in there.  

I will have to see just what they do tomorrow.  

But so far having a good day.  I sent my stepmother a photo album of cat photos - a little mean as she can't have a cat, but that has been a consistent request from her, more cat photos.  I hope she likes it.  

I ordered Dad's gift.  Jack is doing the clothing line now and made me a baseball cap with the business name in flowing script.  Dad liked it so much he asked for one, himself.  So I will do that for him.  It is very stylish.  I will need to think a little bit if I want to let the business name out yet or not.  But it is cool.  

I am going to go check on the cats, brush Baby Girl, feed, and litter box.  

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please don't do lavender carpet in your bedroom. The walls at least can be repainted but the carpet needs to be a neutral color.

Anonymous said...

When is the last time ron got you an actual present? He is such a faker. If he wants to give you a gift he should lay off the vodka for one day.

Heather Knits said...

Says who, about the carpet? I am honestly curious. I have a serious love of purple. Am, in fact, wearing a purple t-shirt as I sit here typing. The walls in there were gold with purple dresser. Sounds like a bordello but very comfy for me.

About the bear - it does not take up much room, maybe 2 by 4 feet, on a shelf we made out of an old bookcase. Ron put wheels on it, it is elevated and a good thing, huh? It is a part of the family now.

Ron is not having a meltdown right now, for that I am very grateful. I will take that as my gift. He wanted to give me some cash this morning but we have a soda delivery so he couldn't.

Anonymous said...

Lavender carpet in a bedroom will impact it's time on the market and sale price if you decide to sell. My house sat on the market for a long time and they dropped the price a ton because of their weird flooring and paint choices.

They make some lovely neutral carpeting that has a few colors in it that may suit you better than a boring plain tan. A carpet like that with a grayish purple paint would be beautiful. Look up Behr silverberry or Benjamin Moore African violet. It would make your purple dresser a statement piece in your room and you could get some pretty bedding. Sophisticated and purple.

Go to home depot if you can and just look at the carpet samples to get an idea of what is out there. Bring a notebook and write down what you like. You can check out the paint department for some ideas too.

Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

So what if you love purple. Paint the walls purple but make the carpet a neutral color . Even a gray carpet would be better than purple. Plus gray and purple look good together. I would go with a medium gray.

Anonymous said...

If you were to need to sell your house, you’d have a difficult time with PURPLE carpet. Because anyone buying it would need to replace it.

Heather Knits said...

I would have a hard time selling the house because it only has one bath, and is 900 square feet. If I am going through all this and putting new plumbing I am going to stay for a while.

I will talk to the foreman tomorrow about how do I select things for the restoration phase, if he knows he will tell me. I don't think I need to talk to the big fish on this yet.

Right now I am just thinking. I figure it will be at least a couple weeks (especially as we will be re=piping) before we are at that stage of the project.

Anonymous said...

Why not do tile in your bedroom and buy yourself a really pretty purple rug? Easier cleanup with the tile and so many cats. Even a wood laminate would probably be better than carpet.

Heather Knits said...

I agree about the tile but insurance would never pay for that, it is about 3x the cost of carpet. My aunt had a very nice fake woodgrain tile in her old house, I liked it.

But insurance wants to get away from this as cheap as possible, I am sure it will just be a very basic carpet which is fine.

Anonymous said...

It doesn't hurt to try. Don't assume they won't