Wednesday, March 4, 2020

Wednesday afternoon

A pretty uneventful morning until floors came.  I was very happy to see the truck. 

My front yard is not very wide, and trucks have a hard time with that, they overlap onto other properties.  But when do I have a big truck in front of my house?  The last time was the pack-out when they were moving my stuff. 

So, it came 19 cases, trim, underlayment, tool kit.  He got it in the garage (I could have done better prep work) and out of the way so I can get Ron in and out.  He got a tip and a nice cold soda.  He was happy to get them and left after I signed. 

They gave me 2 pieces of trim (border between new floor and old) and I thought, great, I DID order 2.  He left and I checked it again, one box is a little torn on the end but the slats look fine. 

This is where I tell you having the blog keeps me a little more honest than I might be, otherwise.  Because I checked my invoice and I had only paid for one trim.  So, just now, I called the store and told them I need to pay for the second, I want it, I just need to pay. 

If they give it to me, great, but I can't take it.  That's not moral.  I have to tell you about it in black and white so I had better be accountable. 

Anyway, we will see if they even call me back, it was a $1200 order so they may eat it.  I left a message with Carlos too. 

I decided to get out.  I wanted some more incense, and some hemp smokes.  I walked to the bus stop (foot didn't like it) and had a pretty short wait, rode the bus a couple of stops and got off right at the store.  It would be great to work there because it is so close. 

Anyway, I went in and started picking out incense, I got $12 worth at 5 for a dollar.  That should hold me for a while, it is really good incense, lasts a while, good fragrance... some smell cheap and burnt when you light them but not this.. very happy I can get it close to home. 

SO.  I got that then went over to the hemp cigarettes area.  They had a grape one which I got.  I also got the Stunnas I like, they are very reasonably priced and 20 to a pack, kill a headache, relaxing, doesn't smell like pot.  Overall: good.  So I got those. 

I paid.  There is a Mexican restaurant nearby.  I actually wrote about the time I pushed Ron all the way in his wheelchair, only to find it was closed.  The second time we went the food was too spicy for Ron the Creole.  So I went just to look, plenty of food almost at closing so I guess no one is buying. 

But the flu didn't come from Mexico. 

Anyway...

Lots of peppers in everything so I said no thanks.  I have to live with him if it sets him on fire.  And Ron has a big mouth to complain. 

I went to the gas station: fully stocked, no customers.  I got some snacks.  It began to rain pretty hard and I CANNOT find the umbrella anywhere, so I called a Uber.  $6 to go home ($11 with the tip) seemed like a pretty good bargain.  My foot was happy I did that.. I need to take it easy for a while. 

I really shouldn't be tromping around in public anyway, I guess. 

I came home.  I read something interesting a while back about pandemics/flu.  It said when it is spreading take your shower when you get home before you touch anything, and that makes a tremendous amount of sense, so I did that today.  My hair is still wet but I got rid of any hitchhikers.  Easy to do, especially as I am battling a depression and don't want to shower first thing anyway. 

I will, of course, use deodorant and brush my teeth and hair.  I have a couple of cats in my bed anyway and I wouldn't want to evict them even if I could take a nap.  They are good girls (Torbie and Cleo), who have been becoming better friends.  Torbie had a pretty rough time at the shelter so she can relate to Cleo.  Baby Girl has been coddled and pampered her whole life. 

I am hoping I can get my floors done next week and then get my stuff back.  I look forward to sleeping in my bed. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

All the flooring needs to be inside the house to get acclimated to where it will be installed. Not left in the garage until the day of. Especially since you keep your house at like 100 degrees.

Heather Knits said...

I have vinyl plank not wood so it's a little different. Specifically says it needs no adjustment. Although I may drag it in if I get bored, they don't look that heavy.

Anonymous said...

Vinyl plank flooring will be subject to some expansion and contraction due to to the temperature and humidity in a room. This means that acclimation is as essential with vinyl as it is with floors made of wood. If you don't acclimate, your floor might expand and deform, or shrink and get gaps between the pieces.

Friend who has done flooring said...

I agree Heather with Anonymous the flooring should be the same temp as the house so it all fits properly