Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Not a good way to wake up.

I couldn't believe it. 

I was in the laundry room very early this morning, fully dressed, wearing my badge and keys.  I was after a couple of bottles of Mountain Dew, which, for some reason, I decided to store in there. 

And I heard a vigorous dripping.  No [censored] way.  No way. 

Our ride was there and work was NOT optional today so I cut the water to the house and left.  I worried about it all day at work feeling quite persecuted if I must say. 

Came home, water in the garage.  OK, now I really know I wasn't hearing things.  House is dry, ALL OF IT so that's not it. 

I texted the plumber, who called me and got out there in an hour. 

He came in, said the new pipes were fine.  But we had a cracked pipe from our air conditioner drain pan to outside, and every time we got condensation it was leaking.  Not only that, someone (a roofer most likely) had driven a nail through our sewer vent pipe, which had lost a big chunk.  "That" he told me "will cause rain to leak in your house". 

[insert more cursing]

Got it fixed but yike.  No dripping at all right now.  Ron and I are so post traumatic about leaks now it isn't even funny. 

That makes 3 leaks now, not counting the one Biscuit did moving a pipe when he went in the wall to play.  Hopefully I am done for a while now. 

Good news:
My pipes are fine. 
This had to be fixed sooner or later anyway. 
We could barely manage it, but we did. 
House is fine now, no water in it at all. 
I made a small inventory order for Friday so that will work with my budget. 
All done and everything is working as it should. 

But, oh, what a terrible start to my day. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my...I'm glad it was easily fixable and your plumber was able to come out so quickly.

Water *really* wants to get into your house.

Anonymous said...

I had chest pain reading this OMG Heather! Thank goodness it wasn’t worse!

Heather Knits said...

I know! I feel like I'm cursed!

If I didn't need it I would cut the water altogether, although it still wouldn't have stopped the last leak.

I keep thinking people 100 years ago didn't have this problem, but they had a well and had to haul the water instead. Even when they were sick or injured.