Friday, March 6, 2020

I'm not sick but I hope I'm not contagious

I had 2 paratransit rides
One ride with Jack
Three Ubers. 

That's, like, a vector. 

I slept OK, got up and ready.  We went to the warehouse.  There were already a lot of people there getting bottled water.  I remarked on it and one lady at work said something about virus in the tap water?  I just shook my head.  How is she going to bathe? 

I think it's simpler than that, our only main event in Houston, disaster wise, is a hurricane.  You need bottled water when a hurricane is coming because the water pumps run on electricity and they don't always have a diesel backup. 

We are not used to pandemic so we just default to canned food and bottled water, throw some sanitizer in there if you can.  They were sold out of course but the 3 packs of Lysol spray were moving briskly.  They had a 5 case limit on the water and everyone had 5 cases. 

On the plus side, if we do get a hurricane anytime soon Houston is set.  I was able to find everything on my list (hundreds of dollars worth) except the Grandma cookies, Hershey Almond, and the bottled water. 

We went to work, the machines were still full.  We said screw it and left early (first Uber) after I put everything away.  We came home in a Prius, that actually worked with Ron's wheelchair.  He really liked the car. 

I got Ron settled and debated going to the bank.  I decided to go.  I took another Uber to the Walmart and my bank.  I looked pretty intensely in the home decor section because I will be almost done with my journey pretty soon and I can think about finishing touches, pillows, etc.  I am considering an orange shag runner for next to my bed.  It is $30. 

Anyway, I decided to go with the waterproof white fabric shower curtain, plain, and a clear liner.  I think the solid white will be nice and fresh and the clear liner will allow maximum light.  I feel good about that choice.  I also got a rubber sheet for my queen bed because the cats love to vomit in said bed.  I checked out the comforters and quilts but like "my" purple Amazon one the best.  It is also very afforable.  I find it funny both the rug and the comforter run $30 each. 

I looked at the freeze dried food.  Ron had been talking about buying a kit.  Not only did they have the individual pouches, they had some on clearance.  I got some.  You add boiling water to the food and let it stand for 10 minutes for a hot meal.  I didn't get the lasagna or the macaroni ones because I can get that in a can.  But scrambled eggs and bacon?  Absolutely.  Ron had been talking about that with the kit "You get breakfast".  [Edit, he was thrilled when I showed them to him]

We don't really do breakfast around here for a couple of reasons.  We tend to do one big noon meal and a snack around dinner time. 

Then Ron wanted a radio that plugged into the wall, could also run on batteries.  I had to hunt through the whole department but I found one for $20.  They also had the $5 headphones so I got him a couple pair.  He will use them, break them, for sure.  That is the best deal we have found. 

I got some chips in the snack food department but I am pretty well set for snacks. 

I should probably tell you about my secret carb binge.  When I really want something sweet I will have a spoonful of cake frosting out of the tub, and then put it back in the fridge.  I got another tub.  No one else has figured that out as a carby treat.  I prefer the whipped cream cheese. 

I also got a pint of ice cream which would not fit in the freezer so I had that for lunch when I got home.  They also had a lot of the cat food I feed.  No one has figured out they need it.  I didn't buy more as I don't have the room right now. 

I got Ron a couple of hamburgers and called my Uber.  He was a ways a way and that is the longest I have had to wait on a Uber.  I stood there outside thinking it wasn't smart to be on my feet all day and then walk around the store for an hour and then stand for 20 minutes. 

But I was very nice to the driver when he pulled up.  I only had 2 tote bags so it was easy to load me. 

We came home, I put it away.  I fed Ron.  I filled up the cats' water bowl.  Now I can stay home all weekend. 

I have a little bit of a headache so I will hang the shower curtain tomorrow.  Then I will clean out the rooms to be floored and bring in the flooring.  I figure 13 cases for the one room and six for the other.  I overbought but I still hope it is enough.  It will have a couple days to adjust, doing that. 

I figure any leftover flooring can be saved for Ron's room and do it all in the same plank.  That way all the bedrooms have the same flooring when I'm done. 

I have 2 color swatches on the wall of his room, and I'm debating about which one I like better.  I am leaning toward the blue that is a little lighter and grayer.  I could always do something shocking like a bright turquoise because I am never in there long but that might be a bit much.  Ron won't care. 

Right now I am just going to focus on my floors, and getting my stuff back.  I will call the dumpster people after floors are done, how long to get it,  call the water restoration and find out how long to get my stuff back, call dumpster again and order it.  Stock up on snacks for the movers. 

Then get my stuff back, sort through it all. 

No comments: