Saturday, July 1, 2023

I decided to take the day off

 1. I don't want to deal with that nonsense on the corner.  I just know those men think they own that intersection today and, God forbid,I DO NOT want the recipients to think I am AFFILIATED!  They generally work at it a day or so and then go away for a few months. (see yesterdays's posts if this does not make sense)

By the way I did talk to a driver yesterday who drives the 56 on occasion and says Berry and Airline is, quote "really bad". I asked flat out did she think they needed Jesus and she said YES VERY MUCH. So I will be figuring that out. I might go over there tomorrow just to look around. So that seems like a good next location after I am done with Greenspoint.  

Generally in the past I have moved on when people stop and tell me I already gave them a Bible; that's why I stopped doing Antoine and 249. 

God seems to have used my drivers as oracles, if you will, suggesting places for me to go (unasked). "Well if you go to De Soto you really ought to try..." and I do my research, if it seems likely I go. It is interesting I almost wonder if those drivers have the gift of prophecy because it seems to come straight from God.  

One of my favorite Handouts was a black guy about my age in a mid range car. I had been doing Handouts for several years.  I was out there pretty early one day somewhere around Acres Homes ("bad" area).  He pulled up and rolled his window down, I approached him.  

He said "I have been driving past you for years.  Today is the day!"  I was so happy!  The guy in the convertible with MS-13 tattoos on his neck was another one. I walked up to him and he said "Do I get a Bible?"  I said ABSOLUTELY and I pray for you everyday too (I do) and handed it over, he kind of held it to his chest for a minute before he put it in the passenger seat.  

And then there was the time things were so bad with Ron I went out on Christmas morning one day to do a Handout.  Another man in a convertible, this man white.  He and his friend were very, very, drunk and weaving all over the road. I walked up to them and said something like "Oh, there you are!  Here are your Bibles!" and they obediently took them and put them away. 

I always thought that would have been funny when they sobered up and found the Bibles "Where did this come from?" because it was clear to me they would never remember the encounter. And I did pray for everyone else on the road around them. 

One year on Mother's day I wrapped the Bibles around 80 of them. It was a lot of work but the recipients loved them. 

2.  I woke up with a headache and don't want to deal with that and the heat. 

3.  I am exhausted. 

I have yet to hear from the church but I am hopeful.  I only plan to do a little housework and some laundry.  It will be busy next week. We also have a full moon on Monday.  

Did my God Time.  Yesterday I think it was one of my devotionals said we need to talk to the unreached about the good things God has done for us.  My cab driver friend is not saved, not for lack of material though 😂, Ron witnessing (while buying large bottles of vodka), etc.  So last night on the way home I was "gossiping" about some of the good things God did for me.  

"So there I am 12 hours before Ron comes home from the hospital and his family has disowned us.  I have no home care equipment, groceries, or money for his prescriptions..."  it was a lot of fun and he was riveted.  

I woke up with a headache and then the excedrin gave me an upset stomach but I am feeling better now. 

That's it for now. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wasn't there a gas station that was going to open close to your house? Have you ever thought about applying there so you don't have to do all the hassle? You are a good employee for Walmart and I know that working retail is not for the faint of heart. But it seems like every business whether it's retail or some other type when they get a good worker just keeps loading on them and pushing them because they know they'll do things. And they let the lazy hateful ones just seem to get by with nothing.

Heather Knits said...

They stalled out on the construction of the gas station.

About: neighborhoods improving, yes, De Soto and Antoine area for sure has improved. Quite a bit even the drivers talk about it. Back when I went there were drugs,hookers,gangs. When I went a month ago saw very little drug dealing and none of the rest. They have, in fact, a large storefront church at the intersection.

Yeah work would be foolish to terminate me. Not many people willing to work part time nights AND weekends doing what I do. They won't even give me benefits.