Saturday, July 29, 2023

Bible Handout update

 I have excellent bathroom habits.  When I leave a bathroom it is in good condition.  I don't squat.  I don't urinate on the seat or leave strips of paper hanging in the bowl.  I get in do my business and leave making sure it is presentable.  

I just want to get that on the record. I have to if for no other reason than at work, there is always a line to use it and when I come out another associate is probably going in there; and they will TALK if I don't take care of it.  

So.  I left the house with a small cooler, a frozen bottle of water, some regular bottles of water, a couple bottles of Diet Dew, and a bottle of Powerade. I caught the first bus no problem and waited on the second bus nearly an hour (a bus driver later told me one of the buses on my route had broken down about that time).  I drank the two bottles of water and the Dew. I had also had some Gatorade before I left the house because the heat index is over 100.  

I did hand out 2 Bibles to cars that saw the sign on my cart while driving by so I felt that was why God allowed the bus problem.  

I got to the transit center and saw the 56 waiting to leave I boarded because it goes right to "my" intersection.  I had a little wait and by this point I am thinking I will be really glad to use that gas station bathroom. I got to the intersection and went in the gas station, bought some drinks and asked for the key. He said no it was out of order.  Great.  

There were a couple of food places in the strip mall behind the gas station and some other stores.  I figured I will just find a store that would let me use it.  

I guess some of it is privilege.  I'm an evangelist I am accustomed to special treatment as a result. After all, America is a Christian country, right?  

So I went down the row of businesses and they ALL said the same thing, some with a smirk, that their bathrooms were out of order.  There is nothing else nearby except apartment buildings and a gas station I know won't let me use the bathroom because that turkey turned me away bleeding after I fell a couple months ago. 

Well this was well played. God (and other beings) know I'll be out there on the median all day if that's what it takes and I have bathroom access.  And I didn't even have that many Bibles maybe 30 English and some Spanish.  

But I figured Bad Things want me to give up and I'm stubborn so that's not going to happen; asked God to give me a strong bladder, and went out and did it anyway. 

It was mainly 1 and 2 at a time.  One guy wanted 2 one for him and one for his daughter.  Most requested King James which I had. I gave out some Bible promise books as well to those interested and each Bible had a tract and also a card that said "we" would be praying for them daily (please do). 

I handed out everything but about 7 or so and had to quit due to a screaming bladder.  I think I was out there for about an hour.  I decided to go to the other strip mall across the street both ways.  Surely one of them would have a public bathroom.  I had some trouble with the cart at one point and a Spanish gentleman helped me so I gave him a Spanish Bible.  I went in the grocery store and found the bathroom.  I don't know if it was for the public or not but they didn't have any signs up. 

I really liked the look of the grocery store I will be back; after I left I waited at another bus stop to go back to the transit center and I had an older lady pull up very skeptical. She was somewhat consoled by the fact I DID have King James and took a New Testament.  She asked what "else" I had and I gave her a King James Bible Promise book as well.  She held them both to her chest for a minute as she said "Thank you" and drove off.  

Then I had a fun one, a Spanish family in a car, 5 of them and thrilled to find out I had Spanish.  I got them 5 New Testaments and they said thank you and drove off.  I handed out 2 more at the transit center, to a grandmother and her grandson.  It was his first Bible.  Those were the last 2 of the fancy ones someone had sent me a while back. Then there was a girl on the bus clearly mentally ill but definitely wanted a Bible so I set her up. 

I had brought candy + Bibles and such for the service providers and gave those to my checkers and bus drivers.  That's it for today!  

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you sit on the seat, you're sitting on layers of pee though. I put paper down and don't touch anything.

Heather Knits said...

My life has been a series of substandard public bathrooms. If there is nothing apparent on the seat I don't worry about it and trust the immune system God gave me. I work at a Walmart and ride the bus. If I were worried about cooties it would end right there.

The worst was the Greyhound public bathroom in downtown Houston. That one was the absolute worst.

Handout bathrooms have been awful enough I brought a little baggie yesterday with the single use wrapped wipes in case I ran into trouble. Baggie was so I could pack things out if needed as the one bathroom at the gas station did not often have a trash can or toilet paper (the one under construction yesterday).

But the grocery store was very clean and nice.

Anonymous said...

You should wear depends on your bible handouts. Then you don't have to worry about finding a bathroom.

Heather Knits said...

When I pee it's a lot. I would need a catheter and I was wondering how I could work that, yesterday, let me tell you!

I plan to meet with grocery store manager Wednesday night after work and get formal permission to use the bathroom. I won't feel right using it regularly otherwise.

Anonymous said...

People are allowed to use the grocery store bathrooms. Don't be weird and ask permission.

Heather Knits said...

I won't feel right using it during a Bible Handout if I don't have permission. I had permission from the gas station owner for months. And I always left it pristine. I feel obligated to say that.

It was not marked as a public bathroom. My ethics say I have to get permission.

Anonymous said...

You are still weird. Anyone can use a public bathroom. That's what they are there for.

Heather Knits said...

It was not marked; I found a door marked "exit" and went through that found another door that was the bathroom.

At work we have a big sign in the public area RESTROOMS. That I wouldn't ask permission if it had been like that but the way this store is set up I got the "rather not have the public" vibe.

I have my own code and this falls under that. You don't "have" to understand it is just how I work.