Saturday, July 22, 2023

I am still very proud of this

 So when Ron and I first started the business we had a deli and a vending machine business.  The vending machines were supposed to give us money to live on and the deli was supposed to pay for itself, only, but they didn't tell us this when we started the business.  

Anyway we had cold cuts, cheese, etc. Later on we had things like raw chicken and hamburger I would cook and make nightly specials like spaghetti or chicken soup. My specials were very popular.  I never saw myself as a good cook (still don't) but God gave me what I needed to make the customers happy. 

We had an old commercial fridge and occasionally we would come in to work and it would be WARM all the meat WARM. So we would throw it out and then call the repairman.  One time we had about 30 pounds of cold cuts in the fridge.  Both Ron and I thought about keeping the meat because it was a lot of money but Ron sighed, picked up the meat, and went back to the meat slicer.  

We lived in a terrible apartment and they had feral/half tamed cats eating out of the dumpster. Ron cut up all the cold cut "loaves" until slabs of meat about an inch thick. I asked what he was doing with it.  He said "We're feeding the cats" and it made total sense. If the cat could eat out of a dumpster she could sure eat a warm cold cut.  And boy did they.  I was feeding all the cats I had calicos I had never met in my life coming up to me and rubbing all over my legs, it was wonderful. 

Because we couldn't feed it to a human. 

We also sold little cartons of milk out of the vending machine for several years and they were always going bad. When they did we threw them out.  One day I had a crate of expired milk sitting by the sink. Ron had me running around doing other things and I didn't get a chance to throw it out.  So the already bad milk was sitting out at room temp for several hours. 

Someone came to me and pointed out employee John was drinking these cartons of milk like free jello shots.  I ran over to him and told him to stop.  He said "Why?  You're just going to throw it out anyway" and I said "It is BAD"  He kept drinking them.  I finally said "I hope you feel better soon" and walked away.  

"I'm not sick" he replied, and I laughed.  I didn't see him for a week!  

Then we had the sandwiches in the cold food vendor. They would go bad and we would throw them away.  One maintenance worker, who made at least $50K a year,  was taking the expired sandwiches out of the trash and taking them home to her grand kids and putting them in the kids' lunch.She bragged about it to me. So when I threw out the sandwiches from them on I got a rolling trash can and put them in the dumpster so she couldn't feed the expired sandwiches to helpless small children. 

Chips, pastry, stuff like that we would personally eat once it went bad. If I knew a customer well I might offer it to them but I had to be careful about that otherwise they would come to expect "free"food.   It is not free.  We paid for it. 

That's it on expired food.  

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure I throw out food that might have a day ot two left. If I don't eat cooked meat by day 3, I usually throw it out. My SIL has no problem cutting mold off cheese and eating it anyway, not me!

Heather Knits said...

I eat my cheese too fast for it to mold, even the 5 pound bags of shred. LOL

Anonymous said...

Wow. 5 pounds!

Heather Knits said...

I love cheese. So does Biscuit. When I am snacking on block cheese he gets his own little bit.