Saturday, July 22, 2023

The sickest I've ever been, 2 stories

 So in this post I talk about being sick a couple times if you don't want that then just scroll.  

After Ron and I ran off together I got a LOT of bladder infections.  He didn't keep himself clean and I hadn't learned a few tricks I later used daily which prevented "self" caused bladder infections (using a wet wipe after bowel movement, etc.).  I had a doctor who was a narcissist and "had" to be right and "prove" I didn't have yet another bladder infection every time I went to see him.  It was a difficult relationship and since I had Kaiser HMO I was stuck with him.  So one time he calls me and says the culture came back that I had a severe bladder infection but he thought I had contaminated the sample (he said it right out like that).  And he wouldn't give me antibiotics.  Needless to say I got really sick a week or two later, ended up in ER with a raging kidney infection and in the hospital for a week on the IV because the nausea was so bad.  Even the nausea medication didn't help it just stopped me vomiting but I was still miserable. Boy was I happy when the antibiotics kicked in. They gave me Keflex.  I urinated a few hours after getting my first dose and the stench was horrific all the dead bacteria.  I have never smelled that before or since.  So that was a top contender for sickest in my life.  I ran a fever of 101-103 the entire week. 

The good news Kaiser fired him for malpractice and I got a much better doctor after that.  I never felt like I had to sue I was just happy they canned the guy. 

Then in 2004 we had a long and complicated process buying the house (interest in a blog on that maybe?  Let me know!). finally closed on it in June 2004.  We went out to breakfast first at a nationally known restaurant chain. I had scrambled eggs, Ron had an omlette. They used egg mix for the omlette so Ron was OK. I got sick right after we closed on the house when we should have been celebrating. It was one of the few times in my life I saw Ron 100% happy. Then I started vomiting.  

I had salmonella we had both taken food safety classes and knew the symptoms.  Based on the timing we knew it was the scrambled eggs (I still don't really like them). I was very ill, so ill I did not want to ride in an ambulance or in a friend's car because I was worried I would erupt in there and leave a God-awful mess. It was hard enough getting 15 feet to the toilet Ron had to bring me the (mothballed) commode chair and empty it out for me; and he did.  He was very faithful bringing me water (realize now it should have been Gatorade),and emptying the bucket even though I could hear him gagging. It took me about 2 weeks to recover.  I lost 15 pounds. He gets a gold star for that and I'm sure God let him know how much that meant to me. 

I bought myself a small pack of women's adult diapers years later when the stores began carrying them in case I ever have that happen again. 

My cat Baby Girl the First was a good companion in that, and Bubba of course.  I only had Baby Girl the first (I tend to reuse cat names) for a few months she was the one that was poisoned.  But they slept with me. 

So I very rarely eat scrambled eggs now, and when I buy them I inspect them for cracks. But I rarely eat eggs.  I lost my taste. 

I cannot remember why I started this blog but there you have it.  

Oh and also my throat swelled up the last time I ate almonds so I am terrified of them now.  

No comments: