Sunday, July 9, 2023

Handout update: (edited to add more info)

 The bus driver was very worried about me. "You're going WHERE?" I told him. "With THAT?" indicating my cart with the Free Bibles signs in 2 languages. "You're going to take Bibles into THAT neighborhood and GIVE THEM AWAY?!" Yes, I told him. He shook his head, asked if I had a weapon. "You know this is the HOOD right?" I told him that's why I was going.


Poor man was worried sick about me (he did not want a Bible or the candy with Scripture booklet). I hope he saw me on the way back.

I was out there for about 2 hours, I didn't keep track. The people who loiter around the gas station watched me work. They didn't bother me but they were watching. Maybe to make sure I wasn't selling drugs? Or I wasn't a "narc"? I don't know and it doesn't matter I am just an addled evangelist.

I brought a lot of Spanish but only did about 5-8 total. I had 10 nice whole Bibles (the nicest I have ever handed out) and I handed out all those quick. In fact, I was at the gas station getting a cold drink before starting, someone saw the sign, wanted a Bible, I gave her one, someone else wanted one, it was a frenzy there for a minute. The gas station owner was grinning the whole time. The rest of it I had the KJV New Testaments. The recipients want KJV and are very vocal on that; so that's what they get.

It was mainly cars wanting one or two. I had two men ask for 2 Bibles each "One for me and one for my girl". I thought that was very sweet. The buses making the left turn off Imperial Valley onto Greens had to sit right next to me and a couple of them wanted a Bible. Even better one driver held up one of "my" Bibles she said i gave it to her a while back. I love repeat business.

All the Bibles had a card saying I would be praying for them daily. Then I came home.  

I never edit posts but thought about this after I got home: 
I lived in one hellhole with my husband for 7 years, thinking about it today after I got home. The pipes above our bathroom leaked so the whole bathroom was covered in mold (we both had health problems). There was a crackhouse down the block. Hookers working the block. Head shop around the corner they would pierce ANYTHING and they also dealt drugs. Dirty syringes and broken crack pipes everywhere - I just never wore "cute" shoes worried about picking up AIDS or something. They paroled sex offenders to a residential motel 2 blocks away, if I went out after dark I got hassled constantly.

You know what that was? Bible Handout boot camp! :LOL: HE protected me then, He protects me now.

This was Silicon Valley during the dot com boom. Ron and I worked at non profits and the rent ate up his entire disability check and then some. 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ironic God didn't protect you from Ron. I bet ron loved living there with hookers and drug addicts all around.

Heather Knits said...

I'll allow that because Ron actually asked the hooker what her rate was; she told him he was married and she wouldn't hurt me like that. She gave him holy hell and then caught me on my way home that day and told me, then assured me she would never do business with him.

Ron was very embarrassed and said it was just "for research to see what they charge these days" but I didn't believe it.

The drug addicts didn't really bother us.

Anonymous said...

That woman was 1000 times a better person than Ron.

Heather Knits said...

I agree; she was a good kid,just enslaved to crack. I used to see CPS meeting with her. She had a son, she lost custody of him eventually.

Anonymous said...

Man's "opinion" of who is better is the opposite of God who says None are righteous.