Sunday, July 30, 2023

So what am I handing out exactly?

 I think it's a good question but first we have to break it down into 2 groups: "The Candy" and "The Bibles". To make it really confusing sometimes the candy has a Bible.  

So for the candy I do a sandwich zip top (zipper important as I don't need/want loose candy in my tote bag) baggie.  I put in a Scripture thing.  It may be a tract, let's start there.  

I started with Grace and Truth tracts still love them to bits. Go to "publications" link  They have great tracts like "The Bible", a nice little one page tract about the sanctity of God's Word and why the Bible is important, great to stick in a Bible I am handing out.  They also have "Debt Paid" (God pays your sin debt), "Where will you spend Eternity?" was a favorite of Ron's.  They also have tracts for combating false teaching you can email them on that. Love those guys.  Free on request, would love a donation kind of place. 

Then we have good old World Missionary Press.  They have a small tract but it is 48 pages long and chock full of Bible verses.  I like them a lot.  All the tracts are great and they also offer some nice Bible studies I stick in my pocket and read occasionally at work. Free on request but would love a donation.  https://www.wmpress.org/  I have handed out a lot of booklets and everyone likes to get them. 

I recently teamed up with https://fellowshiptractleague.org/  They have some really nice tracts my current favorite is "God's Last name is not Damn" because there is a lot of profanity in the neighborhoods where I work.   Free on request but DOES take a while and I only got 40 from them out of an order for 100. 

I am also using https://bibletractsinc.org/ after finding one of their tracts in my store. They have nice full color tracts, fast shipping, free on request but love a donation kind of guys.  I like "Overwhelmed" right now they also have tracts specifically for first responders, drug addiction, etc. Nice guys.  They do need to talk to you the first time if you order without a donation but I was fine with that.  

Last and I go through a lot of these: in fact, you want to buy me something?  Send me some of these.  
Invitation KJV New Testament.  I cannot keep these in the house, Handout Recipients love them, Bus Drivers love them in a bag of candy, I can hand these out anywhere and all the recipients love it is "old" King James.  I do have some other translations I use but I like this because it is a compact size yet still easy to read. 

So what I do I take the baggie, put a "Jesus" in it (tract or booklet).   Sometimes the New Testament (fits in a quart bag 😉) and a handful or two of candy.  I use pinata mix from my low cost grocery store as it is tasty, affordable, and handles the heat very well.  I bring bags of this to work with no booklet of course and the other associates and Team Leads eat it up.  I do this, if you can find it.  I get mine at Joe V's (HEB offshoot) for about $20 for a 10 pound bag.  



It is prohibitive to try to buy pinata mix online you will have to go to your local grocery store (here in Houston they all have pinata mix of some sort), a party supply store might have something, your local Walmart might have something likely in the candy or ethnic food aisles, or a Spanish market.  

That's about one serving of candy for me right there so that goes in the bag along with say the New Testament and a tract, ideally also with a note letting the recipient know I'm praying daily.  Or just a tract or booklet.  I have a special tote bag for the candy and also carry a couple extra Bibles daily because I've had people asking for them (they know I am good for a Bible) if I am out somewhere.  

Now on the Handout it's a little different.  I carry some of the candy for my bus drivers and service professionals. 

But a lot of it is, say, those New Testaments.  I like them they are easy to get to a Handout and I can hand one to someone walking by and he can stick it in his pocket (happens a lot). In the New Testament I have a tract (even though the Bible has a plan of salvation on it, and the "Roman's road" underlined if you know what that means), and a note saying I'm praying daily (God has impressed on me this is important).  I try to also have a Bible verse on that as well.  

I also carry Spanish.  Those I let the Sponsors pick out.  

About sponsors I have people contact me asking how they can help.  I will send them a link to the "Invtations" and my address, something shows up a week later.  Or I say I need Spanish and send them the Church Source link for evangelism Spanish New Testaments.  (I am OK for Spanish right now).  

Mainly it's been Invitations.  Those are going like hotcakes!  

Personally I like pretty much all translations as long as it is not a cult.  I am not crazy about NIV or ESV but I will hand them out. I do mostly King James. I like New King James that is my preferred personal Bible but they don't have a lot of evangelism in that. I also do the CSB which is done by the Southern Baptists it is a good translation and an alternative to the KJV.  They make that in an "Invitation" also.  

That's it for now.  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I bring bags of this to work" at $20 for a 10 lb bag exactly how much are you spending a month to feed these walmart people? I am thinking with your comment of bags of this that it's at least a 10 lb bag a week. Let me know if I am right or if you are going to change your story to "I only bring one bag a month."

Heather Knits said...

Well I share the bag out between bags+of+candy+with+Jesus and work. Work gets one sandwich baggie every day I work. Most of it goes to Jesus though probably 80-90%, I share it between work and Jesus. Total it is about 10 pounds every week to 10 days depending. More likely now that I am riding bus both ways to work 3 days a week that is 5 trips a day. I spend about that on soda every week so I don't see it as a concern.