Tuesday, June 28, 2022

A tale of 2 charities: the turnip

 When I have been low income my "giving" has been focused on buying candy and supplies to hand out.  That generally consumes at least 10% of my budget and then I don't worry about any other giving unless led by God (someone got robbed, etc.).  I am doing that now.  

Last year I was supporting two charities.  I will name one, World Missionary Press (WMP) and not the other as I will not be casting them in a good light.  Both charities do good work and focus on getting the gospel out.  Charity B also focused on doing some holistic things and then preaching the gospel what was fine with me.  I had them both on auto pay.  

Both charities were fine with small monthly debits.  I commend them for that.  

But I had to stop it as I literally have very low grocery budgets some times and I really needed the money.  God does want me eating right.  I take the bus nearly everywhere I go, stand out at hot bus stops in the middle of the day to go to work in feels like 108, etc.  So not living in luxury.  

So I changed my debit card and decided not to provide the companies with the new number.  WMP sent me 1-2 emails "Your donation didn't process" and that was it.  I was asking for more booklets, I go through a lot, and they were happy to send more even though I wasn't donating any more.  I think it was handled very well.  That was all they did.  I still like them on Facebook and I am not getting any more emails, I never got any letters from them aside from the newsletter with reports of what God is doing with the booklets (I like the newsletter).  

Charity B was quite the opposite.  I turned off the debit card months ago and they are still sending emails, paper letters (what a waste of resources), treating me like a deadbeat.  If I had the money I would have been giving it but Ron always used to make a comment about not getting blood out of a turnip.  But their response has been so awful I don't think I will be contributing any more even if I do get more money.  It's just not respectful.  I would have helped if I could but I am poverty level, my lawyer said so.  I can only do so much and I believe God wants me "on" the candy ministry for now.  

World Missionary press has been a rock star in this and I definitely plan another autopay when I can.  

No comments: