Sunday, October 1, 2023

Someone's moving next door

 It's not #6, they're eternal; he bought that house as a flooded husk and restored it, built additions, etc.  Every few years he puts another couple thousand into his property.  And overall now he is quiet we are fine I think.  

It's #2.  I have had a rocky history with them.  The wife was parking in front of my house and almost caused Ron to fall one day trying to get around her car, and I went off on her.  She would (still does) come over complaining about my tree or her bushes.  She rented the house to a series of losers (Section 8 was guaranteed rent income she felt) who trashed her property and our shared fence. She swore she would replace the fence and did not for several years.  So it's been tumultuous. 

The last tenant was such a horror (You can search "Barkappotamous" on the blog), a hoarder, horrible constantly barking dog almost gave Ron a nervous breakdown.  He later (Ron) confessed he had had thoughts of killing the dog (poison) but worried it would lead back to him as he was such a vocal opponent.  He made so many calls to local law enforcement about the dog they refused to take his calls. It was just a complete cluster*(&!. 

So they moved out, it was months of repairs and renovation (you couldn't pay me to set foot in the house, much less eat ANYTHING out of that kitchen), I took out some trash one day and met her (owner's wife) she said "I am done with Section 8 tenants" and told me her adult daughter would be moving in.  

That worked out surprisingly well.  We are polite but that is all. They have a dog (fenced) I have cats. She is quiet,so am I.  After Ron died my aunt told her he had passed and she said OH and went in the house, but never said anything directly to me.  

After Ron died I didn't need the parking in front of the house for paratransit so I told her one day I didn't need it, she was free to park there if she wanted.  I know the street parking is first come first serve but I wanted her to know I didn't mind. 

She said OK and her friends parked there now and then. 

Yesterday afternoon I saw the U-haul out in front but I couldn't tell if they were loading or unloading.  There's already a racial difference and the owner's wife frankly scares me so I didn't snoop.  But from what I can see today someone is apparently moving IN.  That I think is good if an additional roommate shows up (4 bedroom house).  

I like the status quo and hope this doesn't mess things up.  

For Ron, with the drinking, the head injury and later the Alzheimer's he couldn't abide any background noise: children playing, dogs barking (at all), yard work, construction (get a lot of that at #6), music of any sort, etc.  He would get very angry and agitated.  He would scream and cry, call the police (before they stopped taking his calls), etc.  He would get very drunk and have a blackout. It got me very upset as well.  

Long time readers will remember this well.  

For a long time I thought I was upset by the background noise and then I realized it was just me reacting to him.  Now that he's gone it generally doesn't faze me unless I've had a long day and want to sleep.  

Speaking of I'm going to take a nap.  

No comments: