Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Wednesday morning

Once I went back to bed I slept pretty well.  It may have been Ron was hungry.  I need to pursue that more diligently, try feeding him again before I go to bed.  It's a thought, it works for babies, they make a lot of noise when hungry.  

Worst case I offer and he says no, makes noise anyway.  I am trying to work on the run-on sentences.  I have noticed I do that a lot lately.  So I ended up sleeping OK after all.  

Ron just woke up.  1.  He is "cold" (I adjusted thermostat) and 2.  Please fix his pillow?  I did.  He took some lemonade but did not want anything to eat.  I asked him about the lentils, I asked if he would prefer a large or smaller chunk sausage, he said he didn't care.  I think I will do larger.  I want a big piece in my beans.  

I am about to start cooking the lentils.  Recipe so far: 
One 3-4 ounce link sausage (I prefer Chappel Hill garlic)
1 cup dry lentils 
1/4 teaspoon salt
2T Bolner's Fiesta Pinto Bean Seasoning
3 cups water... you get the idea.  

I am going to go get started on that.   I did.. Ron asked for more help, I got a little irritated at him, apologized, took something for my headache (!) he was nice about it.  

I actually went through the coupons the Chronicle left in my driveway, found some Bolner's coupons, $2 off total.. worth looking!  A 4 ounce jar of Bolner's runs about $3 so I buy two and get them for $4.  And I will use the spices.  They sure make the lentils delicious.  Chappel hill sausage deserves some credit.  

Not often I go DAMN I wish I could drive, but I was talking to someone (I am very chatty) and he told me he drives out to Chappel Hill (which is a town) now and then.  They have discount ends and pieces, sausages that didn't quite make the cut for grocery retail they sell "For, like, $20 for a huge box" and I was SO ENVIOUS.  Oh, if I had a dude could drive we would go out a couple times a year, fill the freezer (we would have a chest freezer in the garage and a backup generator), and then I could eat out of it all I wanted at $20 a big box....oh that would be delicious.  A package of Chappel Hill sausage runs about $4 a pound and I have eaten the better part of a pound in one sitting... so I would probably get very fat in this scenario.  

So I am pretty modest in my usage of sausage I do love it though.  Pork is probably my favorite eating animal if I can have hamburgers.  

I read recently that in Haiti and very poor countries they try to conserve cooking fuel, so they cook the beans until almost done, add water and rice to the beans, cook the rice, and then add the vegetables to cook at the last minute.  That makes a lot of sense to me so when the beans were about half done I added some more water (got it back up to boil) and rice.  I do need that bigger pot though it gets crowded in the one I have.  

I have done it before and it worked pretty well.  I am a big fan of lentils I will not be cooking all day, even with some older beans (I didn't really get back into the lentils until the virus).  The beans are almost done boy they expanded in that pot.  

I have a 2 quart nonstick pot.  I put one cup dry beans, one sausage link (about 4 ounces) and a half cup of rice in there and it GREW.  That is good just means I don't have to cook for days now.  Now, on order is a 6 quart nonstick pot I will be using that from now on and then I can make double batches, etc. and freeze the leftovers.  I don't have much freezer but I have some space.  

That's it for now.  

No comments: