Saturday, June 20, 2020

Saturday morning

So I've got my big pot now... good times.  I have a whole pound of chopped ham, a pound of split peas, in there boiling away with some seasoning.  I will add some rice and cook that in the juices (works very well thanks to the Haitians for developing this cooking style), before I package it up.  

Ron loves split peas.  Tons of fiber, protein, vitamins, what's not to love.  Even low fat.  Yay for nutrition.  Any caregiver will tell you it can be really hard getting the loved one to eat healthy foods.  As Adele Davis said, you have to make healthy taste good or don't even bother trying.  

The latter being my addition.  So the house reeks of split peas with ham, not really my taste but that's OK he loves it.  I never really had anything but a baked bean, growing up, and then not that often.  I liked Beanie Weenie when I worked retail it was easy to eat and filling.  Many years ago I checked the "Bean cookbook" out of the library and read that for a while, I actually have a bean cookbook on my wish list, but I do OK so far with the split peas with ham, and the lentils with sausage.  

Here's the list if you are bored.  Wish list I'm so extra!

I am thinking about doing a tip jar I may try to figure that out today.  I can't put the wish list in the side bar but maybe the tip jar, we will see.  

Am I desperate for cash?  No.  But it would be curious to see if I do get anything.  

I slept great last night, only woke up a few times.  And that is with a few doses of Wild Yam.  I am super excited to get that now maybe I can knock the night sweats down to zero.  The other herbs can only help.  

OOOp gotta check on the beans.  They look good but I am going to have a huge amount of food.  I did one pound each ham, split peas, 3/4 cup rice because I didn't think I could fit more.  I have about 20 minutes on the rice.  

Ron was quiet last night and this morning, he accidentally turned on some music a little while ago and I managed to get it off for him, he said "Goodnight" and went back to sleep.  Overall I am getting a good night of sleep except for the hot flashes/night sweats.  

So I am hopeful I can get that fixed.  

I spent some of my remodel budget on storage food, no regrets on that.  But it limited what I could buy which is why most of the wish list is home decor (except for the purple blanket which is a my bedroom item).  I had considered getting a turquoise rug for the seating area I have in the front room, a right angle of loveseats, window on one side, computer at the top.  BUT I slide my chair back so often getting up to check things I am really glad I just have plain tile and no carpet, it would be very aggravating.  But I could use some pillow covers.  :)  

But I should be about done with the split peas which is nice.  They are fresh so it shouldn't take as long to cook.  And Ron will have tons of food for days.  

I find it interesting, as a teenager contemplating what I wanted to do with my life, I figured I would do some sort of helping profession.  Nursing, I was told, was "too hard and you need a lot of math", same with being a doctor.  For a while I thought I might be an occupational therapist or dietitian.  Funny thing is I'm both.  And a personal assistant and CNA.  It is funny how that all works.  

But the food cooking portion will be over with while I have some energy.  There is nothing worse than Ron lying in bed hungry, I'm depressed, I have to feed him somehow.  I always have but a lot easier to take something out of the fridge already made.  

And I do plan to get him more boiled eggs those are super easy.  And he can get that on his own.  

Another plan for today, I have some nice hard cheeses, I am going to cut them up and put them in zippered bags for a quick snack.  Each bag will have a variety of cheeses.  I think that will be great for either of us.  I love cheese.  

And I have some Queso Duro, Extra Sharp Cabot (very delicious and not cheap), and some generic brand mild cheddar, I have a huge block of that.  I even got a butcher knife (I just had a steak knife) so I can hack it up easier.  That's going to be a good time with a lot of nibbling.  

See, and I hope some new bipolar reads this, I invest my energy periods into stuff like cooking and housework, so I am set for when I crash into the depression.  It is bad enough it affects me so much so I like to rape it and make it work for me.  

And on that note it is time to check on my beans again (chair scrape)

No comments: