Wednesday, October 30, 2019

What a Wednesday

Well, it wasn't as bad as I thought. 

I didn't enjoy it but I lived.  I went in, I was doing OK pain wise until they took the x ray and I had to bite down.  That sucked. 

I had to wait a while which was totally OK as I was a work-in.  The dentist came in, chatted with me, sat down at the computer and looked at the Xray.  He let out a very big sigh. 

I knew then I was in trouble, he likes us and if there had been a conservative/cheap option he would have offered it.  He said all he could do was extract it or do a root canal.  I said I needed to think about it, he said OK. 

I went and looked at the x-ray, I could see the tooth was cracked in half and it looked very bad.  Felt OK from outside but a royal mess.  So, not lying. 

I had 2 bouts of extractions, four teeth at a time, so far.  First time I was awake and it was one of the worst experiences of my life.  I was pinned in the chair with the tool in my mouth, the crunching I could feel in my jaws, the blood, it was awful.  I would do a lot to prevent that again. 

The dentist came back.  I asked if I could do an extraction under anesthesia.  He explained that dentist was no longer in the practice, he could refer me to AN oral surgeon but THE one they had used had retired.  And it would not be cheap. 

I sure wasn't getting it pulled while I was awake.  Hell no.  Not with a credit card in my wallet.  Ron had said to do the root canal if that's what I needed because, basically, I was "worth it". 

So I told him to do the root canal.  He went away again (other patients).  I developed a very dry mouth.  I drank some water.  I peed a couple of times (nerves). 

I discovered the chair had a snag in the back of the headrest which was catching my long strands of hair, I am sure I left "evidence" I was there.  He came back and gave me some shots.  Went away again. 

I left a message on Ron's voicemail.  Messaged my Dad and aunt.  Updated the blog. 

He came back.  Long story short I needed 2 more shots (I think the nerve was just really angry) before he really got to work.  At one part a piece of tooth, or filling, flew back in my mouth and almost down my airway, but the assistant got it. 

The procedure was uncomfortable but not horrible.  He is a very empathetic dentist and a good guy.  He finished me up, time to pay. 

I went up front, he looked at my chart.  So many pills.  What could I take, he asked?  He knows someone with bipolar.  Well, I told him, Tylenol #3 (what he normally gives Ron) makes me manic.  "Oh, we're not doing that!" he replied.  That's when I told him I had been doing Ibuprofen.  He wrote a script for that and said I also needed antibiotics. 

They were processing Ron's credit card about this time, Ron was OK with the bill "About standard" being his only reply when I told him. 

Once I had paid the bill and set up the next appointment I called Arturo (I had taken him to the dentist) and explained I would need to go to Walmart and then home.  He said that was fine.  Traffic was bad so it took him a while. 

I took some ibuprofen out of my bag because I didn't want the numb to wear off, my tooth screaming at me.  See, I have a horrible memory of my mother, one of the rare times I saw her.  She had just had a root canal and was in obvious pain.  She refused to take the narcotic because she knew (and said) my Dad would not allow her to see me if she were high. 

I really didn't want to end up like her.  I updated everyone and went to Walmart. 

The pharmacy was very busy and they said it would be an hour.  I let Arturo know, no point in him hanging around if that's what he had planned.  He left. 

I wandered around for a while.  The pharmacist came out after about 45 minutes, said the computer was freaking out because Ibuprofen and lithium CAN interact, was I OK with that, or did I want to skip the ibuprofen?  I said I had been taking the Ibuprofen for days now and was OK with it.  He went back, about 10 minutes later I got my medicine. 

It was really busy so I only paid for my drugs and then checked out up front.  All the lanes were open.  I paid and went to McDonald's.  Ron had wanted chicken strips from the deli but they were out.  His phone was off.  I got him a fried chicken sandwich (he enjoyed it, later). 

I called Arturo once I had the food in hand.  He said about 20 minutes, that was about right.  I had been standing outside but it got very cold and windy, I was only wearing a hoodie, t-shirt, and jeans.  I went in the lobby but kept an eye out for him. 

We went home, unloaded, I paid him and he went his way.  I got everything in the house.  The cats were hungry so I fed them, then Ron. 

I heated up a couple of frozen burritos.  The numb had worn off but it wasn't too bad by this point.  It is still what I would call mild to moderate on the pain scale. 

I ate the burritos carefully (not on the bad side) and then took my antibiotic and mood pills.  I have set an alarm to wake myself up and take the ibuprofen in the middle of the night because I am DONE waking up in horrible pain. 

I also bought a nice looking ice pack with little beads in it, at the Walmart, tonight.  It will be nice for migraines, too.  The regular ice packs are hard and stiff, this is flexible. 

Ron is doing well.  He heard me slurring my words (he called me before I left the dentist) and gave me tomorrow off.  I will enjoy it. 

I felt well enough to put up the garbage can and do some picking up around the house.  I am glad the worst part is over for now. 

It is not an experience I would care to repeat. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad it's done and it sounds like it went well.

I have one of the ice packs with the beads. I really like it. It doesn't stay cold as long as the hard packs, but it's flexibility is really convenient.