Monday, October 21, 2019

Bad news about a friend

It has just been a day. 

I think I'm getting manic which is good.  I got into work and my buddy was missing.  I asked about him and was told (I consider him a good friend, he is very level headed which I really value in people I know) he fell, hit his head, and when he got up was speaking gibberish so the took him to the ER.  Later I was told he had a massive stroke, in surgery.  Later yet I was told they do not expect him to survive. 

I don't feel bad for him because he is a believer and loves Jesus, is saved, and told me he did not want to be on machines or live severely diminished.  So I wish a peaceful and painless passing for him IF it is his time.  If not, I hope he recovers quickly with few residuals.  He is not a young guy. 

But the fact they told his family he will die sort of says it all.  I don't know if I will go the funeral.  Damned straight I am keeping Big Mouth home from that. 

But I am glad this happened the way it did, imagine if he had the stroke in the middle of the night and his wife woke up and found him like that.  Better to happen among friends who could call 911. 

So that.  I did get the cats in the house, they are not happy about it but the rain this morning drove them all inside so I could shut the cat door.  Work was uneventful aside from my friend.  We made the soda order, which we need pretty desperately. 

Ron's ear is clogged with wax so I talked him into going to the doctor.  He says he will make the appointment later.  His leg continues to improve and I feel OK about it finally.  I am getting a good amount of protein into him which can only help. 

It is sad but true, when someone dies I tend to think about myself, how much I will miss them, how much they contributed, etc.  Also bad for the other people around them (their family and other friends). 

I have never had grandfathers.  My grandmothers are both gone (one was schizophrenic and convinced I was a devil spawn so never around), I did miss the one grandmother a lot (the nice one).  My mother died, I missed what could have been but her as a person?  I didn't really know her.  By all accounts that was a favor. 

So, in the long run, this will probably hit a little harder.  I knew him for 20 years.  I will wait until I get the news and then get a nice condolence card for his wife and son. 

He was a genuinely good guy, very level headed, never played games or had drama.  Just a good guy. 

He also had cats which I hope his wife does not try to bestow. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sorry about your friend. Glad he is a believer.