Friday, October 18, 2019

Freaky Friday

I'm going to show my age and say it's been a really gnarly day.

I did sleep great and got a full 12 hours, which helps fill the tank on the other night.  I did a lot when I got up, I pilled Biscuit, I trimmed some mats off Baby Girl, etc.  I also cleaned Ron's leg with peroxide and then applied antibiotic cream, covering it with a bandage (all repeated multiple times on various webpages including those written by physicians - clean with peroxide, apply ointment, cover with a bandage).

I teased Ron I hoped I wasn't using Biscuit's butt ointment.  Ron didn't find it very funny.

I got him dressed and we went to work.  It was one of those "I can help him, or do my work" days.

I told him at one point I would not be able to do my work if I continued to help him.  But Ron's problem he wants to work the shortest period possible and only do his work.  He doesn't want to wait around while I do mine and he never factors in the time I will need to do my work.

Now, it used to be, years ago, he could do his work without assistance and I would be able to do my work concurrently.  Not any more.

At one point he asked me, in front of a roomful of people, if we should do 3 or 4 hours for work tomorrow.  He got a lot of glares.  Later on I reminded him not to do that.  So my end of things sucked massively.  I barely had time to put out the sandwiches.

We left and had a short wait, then off to the bank.  I had no time at work so I had to count the money at the bank, but they have cameras everywhere and a guard with a gun.  Of all the places to count money, this is probably the safest.

We had enough for sales tax, which is a big relief.  We went through a drive through after.  Ron wanted Wendy's spicy nuggets so we got that for him and I got a Baconator.

If you have ever met one you know it is a pretty significant sandwich.  We got home and I set Ron up, took care of the cats.  Then I sat down with my food and a whole day's worth of medication.

Here's the thinking: I am considering doing intermittent fasting, only eating in a window every day (say 11-7).  In that window I would probably have one big meal at which I could take all my daily medication at one time.  But a couple items are known to cause nausea: antidepressant, lithium, iron, probably my other mood stabilizer.

After all, I had a giant bacon cheeseburger.  Surely that could hold my pills.

Wrong.  I am so desperately queasy right now.  But I was OK for a couple hours.

I went to bed.  Biscuit came along, lots of purring and petting, some kneading, a very good time for us both.  Later on he was less than pleased when I tried to clean his butt (he is raw) and wanted to apply his ointment (not Ron's! ;p) but that never got close to action.  I did give him some more dry and some probiotics which I split between him and some food for the other cats.  Cleo ate that share.  Biscuit ate his.

Cleo is allowing more petting but still leery of me.  She adores Ron, though.

The vet was very excited about me giving Biscuit probiotics and said not at the same meal as the antibiotic, and after we ran the course as well.  I can absolutely do that.  I got some little packets her staff suggested and will send those to "Camp" (that's what they call the boarding, at the vet, "Camp") with him next week.  But I am eyeing a big jar of probiotics I would just use a small scoop on their food every day.

When you have 6 cats that scoop looks pretty good.

So I had a good time with Biscuit, who is CLEARLY feeling better.  And his butt looked better too not that he let me near it for long.  He hated the cleansing he got at the vet, then the ointment - I am surprised he is not acting like Cleo.

But he is doing better and that is all I care about.  So I washed my hands after dealing with Biscuit and I'm on a roll, I am THE HEALER.  Heather the Healer, I got my text from the kratom guys it is on the way so I'm the pain taker, the healing expert and I take the bandage off Ron's leg and WTF IS THAT?!

It is worse.  Not "go to the ER" bad but ugly.  "Go to the doctor on Monday if it is not better".

[curses]
[more curses]
[you know I can curse in Spanish AND Chinese?]
F*CK!

OK, you get the idea.  So that pretty much ruined the day.  I got the peroxide.

Years ago my grandmother told me a story.  She had a friend who had breast cancer, she was getting radiation for it.  She got burns from the treatment, the doctor said "Use triple antibiotic ointment" and then went out of town for 2 weeks.  She began to apply it and got dramatically worse.  She called the service and Doc said "Well the radiation did a number on you, it is normal" and by the time he got back she was in really bad shape.  She was allergic to the cream.

So I am going to stop using the cream and see if that is it.  Peroxide has always worked well for Ron in the past.  And no more bandage.  He was fine with open air.

And I feel like a whole jury is watching everything I do with Ron and the cats, don't screw up (not you guys).  We have a conference coming up, he HAS to attend.

This is just, pardon my language, messed up.  But we do have sales tax done and Biscuit is better.  Ron is worse but Biscuit is better.  And Ron is not in any pain.

But I always feel like there is a stern authority figure standing there waving a finger at me saying "BAD caregiver!"  That's up to you to decide.  I will say I do my best and Ron can be very difficult at times.

He DID elect to take a large dose of Vitamin C and his multivitamin.  So hopefully that will help.  He is also a huge believer in Olive Leaf Capsules so he took some of those, we will see if they help.

The burger had cheese so that was not fun.  Apparently cheese is an issue and not just lithium.  Glad I got rid of all the dairy in my fridge (except for Ron's cheese sticks).  I need to remember to ask for no cheese on my food.

Ron was teasing me that I was black.  Sometimes I wonder what is in my heritage.  I have been told I have some native blood, about 1/16 on my Dad's side.  I don't know if that would do it but who knows.  Dairy is out now, that is all that matters.

And what a miserable hour that was.

I am really trying to have a good day here!  I really am!

So if you pray please pray his leg heals up quick because I need him functional.  Everyone else remains healthy (as long as I stay away from the dairy).

We have to work tomorrow but we already did sodas so it shouldn't be too hard.  And Ron has more kratom coming - that was the only thing that squashed his back pain during his last attack.  I am glad the conference is in Texas and not out of state where it might be illegal to take it with us because it is going in the bag.  I am curious to see how "Super Red" works for him.

I am sure glad I have a handful of mood pills every day because today I needed all the help I could get.  The pepto pills are working so my nausea is better.

I think I will go check out probiotics on Chewy.

I bought this: https://www.chewy.com/fera-pet-organics-probiotics-organic/dp/191808  I am glad I still have some cans of Biscuit's specialty wet food because it has to be mixed with wet. 

And can I say again how proud I am he lost another pound?  He is down to 17 now. 

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I googled it and it says not to use peroxide on a burn. A thin layer of petroleum jelly is recommended and it should be kept covered. Especially since he is not very hygienic about his bedding etc

Anonymous said...

Adding to my other comment wrap loosely

Your friend said...

I agree Heather no peroxide he is compromised due to the incredible amount of alcohol and as hard as you do try to keep him as healthy as you can. He does need to be seen by a doctor so glad you are thinking that direction. We rarely use peroxide in healthcare except for flushing wax out of people’s ears . That betadine and alcohol seem to do more to irritate than heal wounds I only use sterile saline on wounds to flush and dress it then there is a myriad of creams and ointments to use topical. Hoping this helps?

Heather Knits said...

I just want to put something on him and he gets better. :( I really don't want much.

He woke up cold, haven't looked at him yet. O.o But hopefully better. We have an ER not far away if he gets bad and they have a good idea of his history. Current plan is to take him to the doc on Monday.

That is the one thing I hate, taking him in and giving the medical history. At least the mean, shouting, doctor is gone.

Anonymous said...

Burns can become very serious very quickly so if it looks worse today a trip to a doctor is in order even if you have to go to a walkin clinic. Is the burn blistered? If it is try and keep that blister intact as long as possible.

Heather Knits said...

Unfortunately the blister broke.

The problem: when he spilled the gravy he was embarassed, cleaned it up himself, did not tell me until he couldn't get it off the sheets. He pulled his shorts down over his leg so I did not see it.

I didn't even know about this until a day or two later when he dropped something on his leg and I pulled up his shorts leg to wipe it off. What a nasty surprise. It took me a minute but I tracked it back to the gravy spill.

It is a mixed blessing he doesn't have much sensation. Had I known he was injured I could have put cold compresses on it, gotten some aloe, etc.

Now I just feel terrible and beat myself up for missing it. But Ron takes care of his own grooming most of the time so there's no way I would have seen.

And how is this going to look to medical peeps? AGH. We do have a lot of urgent care places if he doesn't want to do a hospital.

Anonymous said...

It reminds me of my grandmother. She never wanted to go to the doctor. Got some cut on her leg and by the time she told anyone it had progressed to a really bad infection. She died because of it. With any burn you have to get the skin to stop cooking by running luke warm water on it for at least 20 minutes then washing gently with soap careful not to pop the blister. Hopefully this will not get infected.

Friend said...

His burn is NOT your fault it was an accidental. His healing is not your fault none of this is just do your best and move on sweet girl . Do you have an “ urgent care”? To avoid the stress of an ED ? If so they can do the same thing ? Check his temp if he is running a fever get his ass in. Good lunch clean! Maybe you could call APS ( adult protective services) yourself and blurt your circumstances out ? ask them what to do? Something they know is how to manage these kinds of situations

Heather Knits said...

He hasn't let me look at it today. He said he would let me clean it when he gets up.

I wouldn't go to APS as he called them several times before my diagnosis and they were going to set him up in assisted living "Because I can't live with her". Once I got diagnosed and treated he cancelled but he is on their books.

I never had a chance to treat it after it happened because Ron hid it. I have a feeling we are going to the doc in the box on Monday.

Anonymous said...


I wouldn't go to APS as he called them several times before my diagnosis and they were going to set him up in assisted living "Because I can't live with her". Once I got diagnosed and treated he cancelled but he is on their books.

Heather—I once posted as a lawyer if you needed help, you thanked me. This isn’t so! They wouldn’t do that. If you need help, call them!

You are doing all you can. Good luck and in my prayers!

Heather Knits said...

He was just telling me how happy he is with my care so [shrug] I guess we are OK. If someone does show up one day he can tell them that.

I keep the blog to document everything in case someone comes after me one day. I tend to run paranoid.

Anonymous said...

Lawyer guy again:

It’s ok to be paranoid!

You are doing fine.

But if things get bad a call he made years ago won’t matter—you won’t go to jail or lose him.

Good job on the doctor Monday. You got this!

Friend said...

I agree 100% understand your paranoia considering the incredible daily stress of your life . They can help YOU get him to comply with care and it would look better in the long run for you to reach out. I know it is scary but think about it please he is in horrible shape all of his own doing not yours . No pressure just think about your “plan B “ .

Heather Knits said...

My uncle was a lawyer before his stroke, and his son has done pretty well in the legal profession. My aunt was a CPA (let her license lapse due to very high renewal fees). They will be giving us a ride to the conference and I can talk about this with them.

Do I think I "need" help? No, I don't. But I think most people in my situation who need help don't think they need it, if that makes sense.

My aunt & uncle (with one exception) have been my "check" - I will run things past them to see if I am on base with something.

We can handle our own finances and I can handle the shopping. The only thing we might need is help with the housekeeping. Stop laughing! :p Equipment: Ron only wants a new wheelchair and that is $80, we can do that in a week or two (old one is fine but has an annoying drag at times when I push it).

So I think we don't need anything from APS.

I want to get him his bath today and change the sheets, get him to take his pills and clean his leg, get a feel if it is healing. After he has his bath I will talk to him about seeing a doctor tomorrow after work (we have to mail sales tax, and get a delivery).

I will ask him to go to the doctor tomorrow (at the appropriate time today). He could go either way on that. Right now he is pretty single minded about getting sales tax done and won't hear/do anything else until that happens.

He may say no but I will see. And I need to go pick up his prescription.