Monday, October 21, 2019

NIMBY

I am going to do it.  I try to present myself in a good light, a hardworking, lighthearted, spiritual, dedicated, loyal, kind person but I have to get it out. 

I don't want ignorant neighbors.  I cannot ABIDE loud ignorant voices outside my window all hours of the day and night, late night drunken parties, loud music, taking my parking, kids running all over MY yard, etc.  I stay on my side of the fence, you stay on yours.  As far as we are both concerned the other one does not exist.  We are both QUIET, respectful, considerate. 

The most interaction we have is when you return a talking book that came to your box by mistake.  That is my ideal. 

Some things I have dealt with various neighbors. 

  • Kids coming onto my property and tearing up my landscaping.  
  • Kids terrorizing my cat (every child that has lived near me has done this)
  • Adults talking loudly outside late at night, that ignorant "shout at each other even though we are 3 feet apart" and NOT hard of hearing because I have spoken to them in normal tones and they heard me just fine.  
  • Late night and all night parties
  • Adults trespassing on my property "just because"
  • Adults bothering my drivers (parked in my driveway), kids rubbernecking.  
  • Throwing their trash onto my property
  • Throwing items at the cat cage
  • Wild dogs barking constantly day and night
  • Dogs running loose 
  • Neglected dogs I had to call animal control a few times to get the owners spanked.  
  • Hoarding which led to a rat infestation (thank God for Bubba cat)
  • Boyfriend of resident's daughter throwing used condom in my yard nightly after their "dates" in his car in the driveway.  What a shock she became a teen mom.  
Etc.  

Drivers, lots of drama, nearly all of them extremely ignorant.  One of them got angry and was fighting with Ron about the 3 states of matter, stated things were solid or liquid only there was no air.  And this woman drove us down 1960 (a very busy street).  All that's required is a high school diploma and a clean driving record.  So everyone applies, not many can get competitive pay doing something else with their skill set so we are stuck.  

But, overall, very IGNORANT.  I am HATING the owner of #10 because, after he evicted the weird guy who kept trespassing on my property half a block away, he put up a big FOR RENT sign in his front yard where my drivers can see it.  And they all get so excited "Oh, I can live in this nice neighborhood"

And I want to scream NO because they have proven the whole way home they are ignorant, they play head games, etc. and I just know they will not be a quality resident.  NOT.  

And, like I told Ron, there is no excuse not to buy a home in Houston in a good economy, in that line of work - because they will never lay you off, ridership will only increase as the boomers age, etc.  I was told once 6 months clean credit would get you a home in Houston and it worked for us (we also had a large down payment but an abysmal credit score).  Point being you can buy a home for way cheaper than renting, and in a good neighborhood.  

I don't know who would choose to rent vs. buy but I have to wonder about stability.  I do know #10 has had a steady freak show going the last several years with each tenant worse than the last.  #8 only rents to spanish speakers now and the current ones are very quiet, I like them.  Everyone else on our street is a homeowner.  We are all quiet and I can include myself in it because the lady across the street and down a house, said so: "I like you, you're quiet."

I don't want the drama and the stress and thinking you know me and I owe you because you "gave" me a ride you were paid to give.  That is one huge reason I never ask my neighbors for anything because some of them make you pay and pay.  I believe that is when #6 got permission for "his kid" (singular!) to come in my yard and "get his ball" - after he did us a small favor.  Wanting to seem gracious, I said yes.  This was about 2006 and led to such a series of abuses I revoked permission in 2011.  

I just want a quiet tenant.  This driver was very persistent (it is a nice neighborhood) until I said "If you're loud we call the police after 8".  She sat back in her seat as if struck.  So much for "I'm quiet and so are my kids".  And we do call the police.  

We finally got #19 to shut up with their stupid car stereo gimmick.  They would open the door to the house, turn on the car stereo, leave it running and open the doors on the truck, then play the music at earsplitting volume.  It was horrible and just an ignorant, stupid (ever hear of car thieves?) thing to do.  But we kept calling every time they did it and eventually they stopped.  They moved in on a rent to own deal and bought the house right before they started making all the racket.  

And I don't get that, you want to live in a quiet neighborhood that is quiet every day of the year.  But you want to party hard and keep everyone else awake, disabled, children, slow disabled children in wheelchairs (one lives not far from us), working adults, nurses (one across the street), people who get up very early for work, etc. because "I want to party".  

GROW UP.  And go live somewhere else.  

No comments: