Thursday, October 24, 2019

Thursday early evening

I used to have 3 different formulas for 3 cats.  Then I got Mama's family. 

It is virtually impossible to keep an adult cat from eating kitten food, it's just delicious.  And certainly not good for a kitten to eat senior formula (I forget who did that). 

So I came up with Special Blend.  I have 1/3 Royal Canin adult because most of them are adults.  1/3 Meow Mix basted bites (for flavor), and 1/3 kitten food (the hope being it will nourish the kittens without fattening the adults too much). 

Everyone seems to enjoy eating it.  Biscuit's food is of course everyone's favorite because it is so expensive.  I want to leave out a lot of food for the cats so I had to mix a new batch.  I got the three bags and started. 

I have a 10 pound canister that locks and keeps things fresh.  I put a scoop of each and then would blend with a long handled spoon periodically.  I made up about 10 pounds.  That should hold me for a while. 

I plan to keep feeding kitten food until about February, when they will be about a year old.  I was happy to see the Meow mix bag (the basted flavor 11 pound sack) had a mylar lining to keep it fresh.  I didn't notice the kitten food.  And of course the Royal Canin comes in royal packaging with mylar and a zip fresh seal. 

When the kittens hit a year I will do half each of the Meow Mix and the Royal Canin. 

Ron is asleep.  My aunt called and wanted to know our plans for tomorrow, I don't know what Ron wants.  It is so hard for him to sleep I hate to wake him up.  She understood. 

I apologized, we have more stuff than I would like but it is just impossible to cut it.  Just my medication alone...

Oh, I just had a bad scare.  I got a confirmation email from the hotel for my ONE night.  I freaked out, called the hotel, it is 2.  But a bad moment. 

As I was sitting at my desk going through my email I could tell someone had used the litter box behind me (it's the hopping place to poop, right by my desk in the big box).  I had a look, Mama cat.  She has had digestive trouble since we adopted her but no infection.  I was beginning to think that was just how it would be. 

BUT I looked at the result and MUCH better than before!  The probiotics seem to be doing a really good job for them.  I think they just didn't have good bacteria in their guts (her and the kids).  Now that is changing.  Biscuit is sure doing great in that department but I already talked about it. 

If I love the cats I had better care about, and monitor, their health.  Ron can't do it, it is on me.  I never thought I would be feeding the cats supplements but they work.  I would do anything for my cats. 

Torbie could undoubtably use some glucosamine but has refused every treat with it.  I won't give her pills, she hates them.  So she can limp along without, I'm not going to rape her.  It would have been great if I found a treat that worked, though. 

Biscuit has his special treats which he does love, and his special food.  I forget who but an ancient doctor once said "Let food be your medicine" and it is good advice. 

I have plenty of his food for his stay at the vet, probiotics, and his treats because he is just that cute they will want to give him something.  I will take his towel, too, I already talked about that.  He does love the towel. 

I am just waiting for the dryer to finish and then I will fix up Ron's pants for tomorrow, and also fold up the spare that is coming with us.  I already have our tshirts and underwear.   Just finished the pants portion. 

That's it for now. 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

They don’t need meow mix. That’s the worst cat food you can give them. Their poop will smell better on something grain free. But at the very least take that nasty meow mix out. I’d bet that would eliminate the runs and need for probiotics.

Heather Knits said...

When I fed grain free the poop stank just as much. Canned only = issues. This seems to work OK and everyone is getting at least some of what they need.

Remember Ron feeds garbage treats at every opportunity so this is at least better than that. In fact, he was upset earlier because they were all eating dry and did not want treats.

I will be putting out both canned and dry when we leave so they will have plenty to eat.

Anonymous said...

Well you better STOP feeding the cats their food immediately so Ron has a chance to load them up on treats. What a bastard. So selfish he even wants to cause harm to the cats just to make himself feel good.

Heather Knits said...

He does his best for me and the cats, but he did have a terrible crack to the head. Thinking about it I am amazed he still has his brains. But as far as I know he didn't even crack his skull.

They won't get any treats when we are out of town so they will be very happy to see him when he gets home.

He honestly doesn't believe treats, or overfeeding, will hurt the cats.

Anonymous said...

Another reason letting him decide on his own what is medically necessary or not makes no sense on your part.

Heather Knits said...

Odds are he is going back to the doctor next week. If I drop the hammer he will go. But the silver ointment is helping so let it.