Sunday, October 27, 2019

My trip to Austin

A cold front came though Friday morning, it was cold and raining.  I got up very early and got ready. 

About the only thing of note, Ron stuck a 750 ml bottle of vodka in his bag rather than buy drinks at the bar.  What does it say the conference center always has a bar? 

I put Biscuit in the bathroom half an hour before pickup so I'd have him at hand, but not yet in his carrier. 

My aunt and uncle arrived right on time, we were ready.  I took out our bags, one each for us and a bag of food, then Biscuit and his bag.  We dropped off Biscuit and his bag, got some lunch, went to Austin. 

They found the hotel easily and we tried to check in.  They told us they had flooding on the first floor "last night" and they were still fixing up the room.  We had to wait almost an additional hour.  When we got to our room it was clean but I could see they had just wet-vaced the room rather than replace the flooring like they said. 

Not that I cared. 

But the bed was too high, again.  I had to talk to several people, examine the bed, and finally said "Come take the box spring".  They did that and Ron was fine.  He didn't have any problems the rest of the weekend.  You may remember we had to do that last year, too. 

It wasn't a large room and his wheelchair has a footprint, it was pretty crowded but at least I had my own bed.  He found his bed comfortable, liked the bedding and pillows. 

We went out looking for "the reception" but I never found it.  I did, however, find the director of the program and our ECM's (similar to a union rep, to borrow a term from my aunt).  Everyone seemed to like us just fine.  We went back to the room, Ron had most of his bottle of vodka, we went to bed early. 

And I woke up some hours later in excruciating pain.  It is pretty spectacular.  Generally when I need a filling it is more a dull throb.  This is an extraordinary sharp stabbing sensation that is quite horrible.  I was up all night with that. 

One one of our trips I brought toothache gel but did not bring it this time.  I did, however, remember the Advil after some time.  I took a few and managed to get a little rest but not great. 

Then I had to get up, get ready, get Ron ready, find breakfast (we went early which is good).  The restaurant was not large and had a short staff, it was pretty difficult at breakfast.  I determined we would eat in the room Sunday morning.  As it is Ron had one english muffin and a slice of bacon. 

I had a Belgian waffle, it was good.  We went into the conference area and speeches for hours.  I learned a little about prison vending in Texas but that's it. 

We had a trade show, very few tables and no one was really handing out food, we had to find our own lunch.  I wasn't very hungry as my tooth/jaw was killing me. 

Ron laid down for a while and I called my parents, to be met with such sympathy for my plight.  [/sarcasm]

I called the vet's office, they were spoiling Biscuit and it sounded like they weren't going to give him back.  He is a good boy and I'm glad they see that. 

Then time for seminars.  We did the vending repair one, I did not learn anything.  Then they had an Andoid/Apple seminar or one on prison vending.  Ron opted for the technology as we can't do prison vending. 

The speaker was a blind man showing off tech advances and apps for the blind.  Now it is funny, in ADA trainings and sensitivity stuff you will always hear put the disability last, the man who is blind.  But it was "blind this" and "Blind that" every time I turned around.  I found it funny. 

Ron liked the speaker but does not want a smart device, certainly not an Iphone.  Like I told my uncle today, he is always dropping things and that would get very expensive. 

They were having another banquet but you had to buy tickets and they weren't cheap.  The director was also having a Q&A for those interested.  Ron and I went to dinner.  I noticed they had paper straws in our drinks.  I hadn't noted that at breakfast. 

I got a burger and some bread pudding for dessert.  Ron had some chicken wings.  Back to the hotel room.  And he had a very bad night with pain and no vodka because he had already drunk it all.  I did give him some Kratom, he had his pain pills, but still a hard time. 

Another bad night with little sleep for either of us.  Ron managed to drop off about an hour before we had to get up.  I wasn't sleeping so I said screw it (pain is about an 8, steady, on a 1-10), got up. 

If you noticed the photos the hotel had a weird shower configuration: the shower head in the middle of a long, narrow, tub.  I had very little room.  They did have a seat down at the end, I guess I was supposed to sit on it.  They had grapefruit scented shampoo, conditioner, and soap.  I smiled to myself thinking of all the vendors smelling like grapefruit. 

I got ready, got Ron ready.  I ran some hot water through the coffee pot and that worked great, for my cup of noodles. 

I made sure it was coolish before I ate it, I did not want hot things on my bad tooth.  I was able to take my antidepressant with that.  I had brought powdered drink mixes and a plastic cup, I used tap water to make my drinks and that worked very well.  I would do that again. 

We went and listened to about an hour of more speeches before we ducked out.  I checked out of the room and we waited in the lobby for my aunt and uncle. 

They had been gifted some vintage (?) toys so they had that in the trunk, but they managed to get everything put up after I stuffed the wheelchair.  They had Ron sit in the front both ways.  I made sure, both ways, he had taken his motion sickness pill. 

I didn't want to make a kennel worker work today so I will get Biscuit tomorrow.  We came home, stopped twice.  I got a burger for Cleo and as you saw fed it to her.  If you watch the video I am even petting her in it.  She loves her burgers. 

Mama cat is a beggar and wanted "in" but didn't want beef, but you get a nice view of her.  The cats had plenty of food when I got home.  I do need to do the litter boxes but not bad considering. 

Once I got our stuff put up I laid down for a nap.  Ron went after the vodka.  He just now went to bed.  He already made the trips. 

I slept OK considering my pain level.  Torbie did the old "claws in the face" routine which gets old but it is her way of showing love, after some petting she went into her house on my bed and we had a nap. 

I got up.  Friday I got rid of his old walker (with his permission) he is not getting better so better to just toss it.  I put it out at the curb and someone took it (garbage pickup is Wednesday).  I figured they would.  The side of his bed (where he kept it) is much more spacious now but he is getting used to it.  It will make it a lot easier to find things for hi now. 

Ron's wheelchair performed admirably and we will definitely get another Drive when we get a new one. 

The cats had plenty of dry (I did about the right amount there) ate about half the wet.  I put out two, 13 ounce cans on Friday morning once I had locked up Biscuit.  They ate one.  The other looked pretty horrible, I got rid of it and gave them a fresh can with some probiotics on top.  They have eaten some of it.  In the last 5 minutes Mama has set next to a large bowl of dry food, and a fresh plate of wet food, begging.  She is just a beggar. 

I can see why she was getting out, that woman down the street feeds strays and she was probably feeding Mama second and third meals every day.  They did not get the lock off the cat door, so I have time until I get it fixed.  Good. 

I saw the other vendors while I was there (the ones who share our stockroom).  Everything was very light and friendly.  They told me my friend has been released from the hospital so that is really good news. 

I am about to do all 7 of the litter boxes and then maybe some laundry.  No bed bug issues at this hotel so no rush on washing.  We work tomorrow, I need to call the dentist, and I pick up Biscuit.  Hopefully Tuesday I see the dentist. 

Biscuit will be OK tonight at the vet.  I am glad he does do OK at the vet and I don't have to worry about him in the box, blocked, trying to pee, getting horribly ill and then dying in agony while I'm gone.  I am glad they love on him and enjoy him so much.  At worst he tolerates it. 

He didn't ask to be sick and I am nothing if not loyal, I will always take care of him.  I will miss him today but I had no idea when I'd get home and I didn't want to make someone work on their day off, assuming they would even do that. 

That's it for now. 

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like overall you had a decent time at the conference. Too bad your tooth picked this weekend to start acting up. That is some serious pain that just keeps on going and going. I think that was the tooth you were supposed to get filled a few months back if I am not mistaken. On the plus side it is a good thing you weren't stranded on a desert island with this toothache like Tom Hanks in the movie Castaway. Imagine having to pull your tooth without pain meds. Ouchhhh.

Glad the cats did not run out of food and no one killed anyone while you were gone.

Interesting how the Kratom and pain meds did not get rid of Ron's pain when he ran out of alcohol. Maybe he does need all 3 at once.

Anonymous said...

Sorry about your tooth! Last time I had tooth pain was on a trip too. Worst timing!

Heather Knits said...

Yeah, it's pretty grim. I will be so happy to get the numbing shot.

Heather Knits said...

#14 was bothering me off and on, that's the one I talked about. This was #18, bottom left back molar. I had half the tooth/filling fall out while eating pan bread last winter and had to have a "big ol' filling" per the dentist to fix it. The tooth feels OK but extraordinarily sensitive. #14 is yelling some too but I am more focused on getting #18 to shut up and then get #14 in a couple of weeks.

Friend of Heather and Kitties! said...

Why your folks were not more empathetic is beyond me it is ok for you to fume a little folks can be like that ....besides no one pulls teeth anymore unless it is a last resort . If your dad still has a license he could have called you in an antibiotic to hold you until you got to the dentist. My father could call in anything but narcs for us as family members and he saved me with toothaches more than once. It is miserable and I am so sorry but do try to save the tooth pulling it should be your last option.
I am in a holding pattern on a tooth I had a root canal on .it does need to be pulled or undergo thousands of dollars of work ...at some point right now it is fine but I have a bottle of penicillin from the dentist in case I am not in town when it does start to “go bad”

Glad the kitties did well. Ron made it with out any serious issues . Too bad about his pain I think it is masked by the alcohol and unless he completely detoxes for a period of time ..like he did in the rehab he is not ever going to have good pain control. He seems to suffer incredible anxiety more than anything else pain = anxiety ...when you compare it to your pain you get with migraines or even now with the tooth ..you accept your pain it does not “freak” you out it just hurts like hell so you treat it like such...taking Motrin ..trying to sleep it off even when you drink the caffeine drinks you do it with the intent of doing what you have to push through ..women are like tennis balls you hurl us against a wall and we bounce back ...resilient and strong! ...some (not all I am sure there are some but the ones we have lived with ) when they get tossed against a wall like a tennis ball they react more like a raw egg go SPLAT then drip down it into a puddle on the floor...we come along and scrape them off the floor and try to make them into a ball again ..LOL that is my analogy of life and I am sticking to it! (I have shared this I am sure but I am old so I can use it for an excuse to repeat myself LOL)
Take care of your tooth I wish you lived here my dentist is great inexpensive (by comparison) and takes payments!!! (No interest!) . That is impossible to find here . Ok I am done blabbing and going to go take an early morning walk I gained a few pounds eating after I lost them meditating! LOL! Much love Heather and please you do you this week try for an hour a day to just fill your bucket with whatever it takes..I am back to the gym today and applying to work again . We will see OOOXXX

Heather Knits said...

Well, I get to spring Biscuit today so that will be an awesome gift for myself. :)

Anonymous said...

Glad you got that marked off of your list and glad your kitties are well. Hope you got Biscuit home!

Heather Knits said...

Yup, I paid his bail. :)