Saturday, October 5, 2019

Most of Saturday

I was tired and depressed most of the day.  I still had to go do it. 

I got up, got ready, got Ron ready.  We went to the warehouse, I bought our supplies but forgot the cookies.  Ron reminded me and I ran back and got them. 

I always find it interesting when I get an OCD cashier who has to face the money not only facing up but the heads all pointing in the same direction.  It is tedious.  She also insisted the membership card HAD to be right near a big crack in her console, I kept moving it away from the crack and she kept moving it back. 

We have some drivers like that, too, compulsive with the hand cleaning as they drive.  Very unsafe. 

I will count items as I am stocking them (silent count), and I find it tremendously annoying "1, 2, 3, SHUT UP, 5, 6,"  I have to force myself to stop doing it. 

We got to work, I helped Ron do his work and then did mine.  For once I had plenty of time.  I put him in the quiet area and then got to it.  It took me a while, but all the snack machines look good now. 

I have had some dealings with one customer, he is always shouting at me about turkey sandwiches.  The sandwich is only good for about a week, if we don't sell them in that time we are literally throwing away money.  So we only order a couple dozen total.  He gets very upset if "his" turkey sandwich isn't there on demand. 

Sometimes workers will try to sneak through the handicapped security door, forcing their way in behind us, so they get a "free" break undocumented by the clock.  One guy at work was fired for taking 2 hour lunches, some years ago.  People will abuse the system if you allow them, and for what they are paid they had better put in a good day's work! 

Anyway, Mr Turkey tried to force his way in behind us one day and I grabbed the door and shut it.  Why did I do that?  I have been TOLD by management it will be our jobs if we let "unauthorized" and off the clock employees in/out of the building.  Mr Turkey cussed us out and swore he would never shop with us again... but the other vendor sells even fewer sandwiches than we do.  If he wanted the turkey he had to come to us, and he did, but he isn't happy about it.  He didn't like me before the door incident and he really doesn't like me now.  But I'm not losing my job so you can get a "free" break. 

He came stomping up to me today as I stocked and yelled at me, said I "had to stock sandwiches".  He knows they come on Monday, and that's what I said "They come on Monday".  One day he came very early on Monday and was irate I "hadn't stocked" yet.  The delivery does not come until around 9 and I told him that - but he is always on the attack and shouting at me over these damned sandwiches.  It is so bad at times I am tempted to stop carrying the turkey sandwiches completely and then he will be well and truly screwed because the other vendor does not sell them! 

Yeah, sure, I have a bunch of sandwiches rotting in the fridge so I can sell them Saturday and Sunday (traditionally an extremely slow day) only.  Riight. 

Anyway, I thought maybe we do need to sell more turkey.  And I thought about how I would approach Ron.  I could dump the last 5 paragraphs on Ron or I could put it through a filter.  I decided I would try and put the best possible spin on the whole incident. 

The next time I went out to check on Ron I said "Oh, by the way a customer asked if we could sell more turkey".  I was SO pleased with myself.  That put it in the best possible light while being honest and distilling the essence of what he wanted. 

The sandwich customers are not very reliable, though, and it is hard to predict.  I really hate throwing away food.  So I will leave it up to Ron. 

Other than that it was a nice day as far as work goes, my feet and legs were tired, but it was better than my old work boots.  I got all my stocking done, I didn't have to leave empty coils.  I was happy. 

I finished up about 20 minutes before our pickup time.  I put everything away and Ron told me "I swear I heard a (paratransit) backing up outside."  I scoffed and told him it was probably construction related. 

I saw a sticker for the "North Houston Recovery Team" so they have a title now.  They also have a big "we will recover" poster with a big photo of a bunch of staff.  Whatever works. 

I just stick to MY area but mail delivery is totally screwed right now. 

We went out and sure enough Ron was right, but the paratransit was in the wrong area, and I had to walk an additional long distance to go tell him that and wave him back.  I don't know why the $8 an hour security guard let him through that gate, it is for staff only and we were not at the credit union.  Had he read the notes in his computer he would have seen that. 

So I got him back over to Ron.  Ron said he was having a bad day and "had better" ride in the back.  He hates riding in the back so if he says he needs it he cannot get into/out of a seat.  So he rode in the back. 

They dropped another pickup on the driver on our way home.  I don't have a problem with that.  At the JW compound.  It has been my experience those clients can be difficult.  The driver kept punching buttons on the computer veering all over the road and I finally said "Can you do that when we stop?  I don't feel safe and I don't want to get hurt."  That stopped him.  Now, 99.9% of the drivers can access the computer without veering all over the road but as the veterans are telling me, "a lot of new drivers". 

We get to the destination - we are in a small minivan cab, Ron is in the wheelchair compartment - and the other client is in a wheelchair!  There is literally nowhere for them to go.  So he has to call and get permission to leave and all the JW's are crowded around the driver whining and complaining "they've been waiting"  Welcome to paratransit! 

So we left and got home OK.  I got Ron in the house.  I about needed a drink after that ride home veering all over the feeder road. 

I got Ron settled, fed the cats.  I gave them a can of Special Kitty tuna.  Cleo loved it but all the other cats hated it.  Passionately.  They wouldn't touch it and kept begging. 

Last night I did up about 5 pounds of special blend, kitten food, meow mix, and royal canin so I gave them a bowl of that and they liked it. 

I took a nap, had a pretty good one, stopped hurting, but woke up with a headache.  It took 2 caffeine drinks to kill that rascal. 

I got on the computer for a little while, checked the mail (empty) and ordered a free pizza with my reward points.  Tonight's selection features a thin crust, bbq sauce, double chicken, and bacon.  I am still wearing my bra much to my displeasure, I want to get this thing off. 

Ron is good, not hurting, fairly sober.  He is looking forward to Live PD.  I called my Dad but they are busy and told me to call tomorrow. 

They did ask to call 4 PM their time every Saturday and have gotten very upset when I don't, so I tolerate going to voicemail days like this, although I don't see why they don't just have me call on a non-weekend. 

I need to clean the boxes after I eat and take my pills, but then I am done for the night.  Ron and I don't want to go anywhere tomorrow because it's the start of the month and all the clients on the paratransit have money burning a hole in their pocket and they want to spend, spend, spend. 

Speaking of spending I notice Walmart delivery is doing more same day deliveries now, which I think is pretty awesome. 

That's it for now. 

No comments: