Thursday, October 17, 2019

What the hell happened?

Biscuit had the runs yesterday, I didn't think much of it. 

Let me take a second to brag on my boy who has lost TWO POUNDS this year.  What a good boy! 

But he was still a little meaty too clean it, and he got a rash.  He was licking at the rash. 

Anyway, he was licking all night which totally freaked me out.  I called the vet, made the appointment, called the cab, and then I couldn't find Biscuit for about 10 minutes.  I still don't know where he was but it's a good spot because I looked everywhere and he's a big cat.  He may have been in Ron's closet. 

He finally came out after I prayed, got him in his box.  He was fine about that, I took him outside so the sight wouldn't upset the other cats.  He did fine until I put him in the cab.  We got to the vet, they took us back right away. 

Vet came in and examined him, found he was raw on his privates from licking.  Did a culture (he did not like that) of his stool and examined it.  He had a bacterial overgrowth, the runs caused by that caused irritation which led to the rash and licking. 

She said it was something "like salmonella".  I asked if he could have gotten it from a lizard, as he loves hunting.  She said absolutely. 

So the lizard got his revenge in giving Biscuit a bacterial infection.  I asked if the other cats needed antibiotics and she said no.  She did a course of antibiotics for Biscuit, one tablet a day.  Since his butt was so raw she had her guys clean him up and apply some ointment.  She gave me some of the ointment to use on Biscuit 2x a day. 

I paid up (not bad considering) and got a snack from next door, then called Arturo again.  He was happy to come pick us up and take us home.  I let Biscuit out and he got on the table, hungry and wanting a meal.  I remembered Doc said "with food" so I gave him the antibiotic and then gave him both canned and dry special formula. 

So that is all done.  Ron finally woke up (passed out in the wheelchair, I put on the seatbelt) and got into bed, I cleaned up his burn and gave him some lemonade. 

I am going to clean all the boxes and then take a nap.  I am beat. 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I highly recommend using pill pockets to pill him if you have trouble. Even my pickiest cat who hates treats (lol) eats them and has no clue there is a pill inside. He is impossible to pill.

Heather Knits said...

Oh, he's a VERY good boy, I just scruff him, open his mouth, stuff it in, he swallows, I give him something to eat "Take with food".

Torbie will rip your face off if you try to pill her, her I would do a pocket, or better yet pay to have her boarded and let them deal with her! I'm a coward! I wouldn't want to do Baby Girl either and Cleo of course would be impossible.

Mama Cat and Spotty would be good, I think.

Friendly me :) said...

So glad your Biscocito is doing ok !

Heather Knits said...

That was it! I had forgotten Biscuit in Spanish! Biscuit is making out like a king, $2 a can wet food (special formula for his condition) and of course his beloved dry. Not so crazy about the antibiotic but only one a day and he is pretty good for that. Not like the girls would be.

Best of all I did not have to put his bill on the credit card or wipe out my savings. Ron and I agreed the he will pay me back when we get the sales tax, conference, and cat cage repair done with. But I had enough and it was very reasonable considering all they did.

Anonymous said...

If you still have the probiotics try and give him that while he takes the antibiotics since they kill both good and bad bacteria.

Heather Knits said...

Vet said give the probiotic at a different meal but to absolutely do it. I also have some packed in his bag for when he goes to "camp".