Wednesday, October 9, 2019

Wednesday afternoon

Ron is working on the report.  It is a mix of drama and extreme boredom.  I have to stay "on" so I can help him. 

I woke up with a migraine today, feel like crap, haven't bathed or dressed (but I talked to you!).  The cats got dry food instead of their wet and were quite unhappy about it. 

After a nap, I took some more Excedrin.  I got the Chewy cat food delivery (wet cans) and gave them a can of 9 lives beef and chicken, it actually did not smell bad.  The cats were pretty eager for it and let me go see how much they ate. 

They ate about half.  That's not bad, the food was not expensive so I don't mind "wasting" some.  I can always put the uneaten part out and something will eat it.  Whatever it is always eats the leftover cat food.  Not sure what it is, never seen it, don't want to. 

And Spotty was eating Biscuit's food.  He has a hard time with the concept "That is not your food".  On the plus side, if he ever, God forbid, comes down with FLUTD he already likes the diet.  He is a very agreeable cat, very soft to pet, a nice little size and cute as a button.  He has a very demanding meow.  He is great friends with Biscuit and can often be found getting pounded by Cleo in one of their wrestling matches. 

And that is why Spotty will be BOARDED after his neuter, for a few days, so he doesn't rip something like Biscuit did after his.  He is a good boy, they will love him, and it will be better for him to have his own hotel while he recovers. 

Mama doesn't seem to be nursing as much, they are about 8 months now so I guess she is letting herself dry up.  Ron and I were talking today, he said he was very glad he had her spayed so she didn't have to go through childbirth another time.  I said, most cats have 5 kittens in them, you saved her childbirth x 5.  He was aghast.  I explained, they deliver one baby, recover, deliver another, etc.  That is often why the last one isn't as well tended to start.  He somehow believed they all came at once. 

It had him reaching for his bottle. 

I did get him to eat some chicken today, and had a little cheesy bread but it has garlic too so I think I may need to stop.  My head isn't too bad but I had to take more Excedrin.  Good luck sleeping tonight.  But we shouldn't need too long tomorrow, one of our machines is down and sales have been sluggish enough the other vendor cut hours on his staff. 

He has his wife, brother, and two employees.  Ron has me.  We make it work. 

It is a really nice day but very bright sun.  I am light sensitive when I have a migraine, scents and light.  Sound isn't as bad but scents can be awful.  The cats kept coming in here and using the box and I was gagging.  One of the main reasons I have not done the boxes yet.  I will be glad when I do get them scooped because I can smell better with a migraine and I really don't want to when I am seated just inches from a litter box. 

I did take in the garbage can earlier so I don't have to worry about it out at the curb.  The last place we lived the "not native to the US" population would steal any garbage cans left at the curb on trash day.  I had to go to their kids and demand they give them back.  I was pretty upset.  Who steals a garbage can?  But some will. 

We were not issued cans with our units (duplex) so we had to provide our own.  Some of the residents were cramming large families into the 2 bedroom units, generating a lot of trash, and apparently "needed" the extra can.  We had really high water bills, too, over $50 a month, and the water tasted like bleach.  It was always failing the safety tests so they had to keep adding more and more chlorine.  I am sure that wasn't healthy. 

I do check (and just did) the water quality report and it was fine, here.  I feel fine drinking tap water and giving it to the cats.  I am funny, I would get a filter for the cats and just drink the plain tap myself.  And Ron only drinks bottled water, that is how that turned out.  He will drink a lemonade Crystal light drink mix in cold bottled water, I have bottles of it in the fridge made up for him.  Aside from the vodka that is the only liquid he consumes. 

I am amazed his kidneys are OK.  But every blood test they are.  He pees a good amount.  So [shrug]. 

I'm starting to feel more human.  Once we get this report filed I will clean the boxes and take it out.  I am not hungry, I have some pudding and will probably do that and a protein shake for dinner. 

I would love it if Ron did a protein shake every day, I have tried...but he wants to take a sip and then finish it 2 weeks later, you can't do that.  It is better to drink the whole thing in a day or so. 

I try to feed him as much as I can, the cats are a lot easier.  It would be great if I could put a bowl of dry down for him! 

Probably not legal, though, so I settle for getting him munchie mix (this) so he can graze in his room, good things to eat in the fridge. 

Sounds like Ron is progressing, he mentioned showing me how to do the report and I think that would be a good idea.  I know of one other vendor his wife does everything and they (management) doesn't care.  So we can just do that. 

Hopefully by this time next month the gingko will be helping.  But we'll see. 

If Ron does have a decline I am not going to be a bitch about it.  Ron was the sweetest he's ever been right after the accident, he was a joy to be around, very sweet and appreciative, concerned, empathetic, etc.  He just wants a quiet life, something to eat, and his cat.  I can do that. 

I just wish he would change the way he gets into bed.  The bed goes longways on the wall across from the doorway.  He rolls the wheelchair up, stands up, wobbles back and forth, feels the bed to position himself, puts one knee up in bed, leans forward, gets into position.  I don't know why he doesn't just stand facing the bed, turn around, and lie down.  I don't get that at all and he won't give me an answer.  Times like that I do wish we could get an OT in to show him a better way to go to bed. 

He is ready to do the report so I will go for now. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If the other vendor can have 5 employees they must be making pretty good money. Especially to hire 2 additional workers. Which fits with my comment a few months ago regarding about how much you and Ron make with this job. The income should be split 50/50 (really 70/3o with you getting the 70%) since you do practically ALL of the work.

Heather Knits said...

The other vendor had 40 machines (prior to the building collapse), we have 8. He also has way more aggravation.

He was awarded the vending contract back in 1990 when the opened the facility, he had everything. They asked for a deli and he said he would not do it, but surrender some of "his" vending to whoever did so they could make a living. That would be us.

They closed the deli (not profitable) so we just have the 8 machines. We actually gave him the coffee machine some time ago because they are a lot of aggravation.

So we don't want what he's got, they always have a repairman out, employee dramas, etc. On Monday their girl went home sick.

We really don't make much, I believe on our last accounting report Ron made about a thousand. For the month. Not counting what I make. So it is more 50/50 right now. I am OK with that because we do work part time. And he pays all the bills except my cell phone.

The majority of people in our area bring their own lunch and do not make a meal out of vending snacks. We are "lucky" to sell a can of soda or a bag of chips now and then. We do see better business with the temporary staff at holidays, they will spend $5 a day, each, on the machines. The old timers do not, and buy with a lot less frequency. It does not help they have put:
Several large commercial refrigerators
An ice machine
A filtered water fountain
and several microwaves in the area so SUPER easy to just bring your own food and eat it without touching the vending. They also put SCALES right next to my snack machine "It's a wellness center!" so that ruins sales as well.

But we make enough. I have to laugh when I hear them complain about the microwaves because my first job away from home we did not have a microwave, ever. You just ate your food cold. It wasn't until I started working in offices in the late 90's that we had coffee pots and microwaves. Maybe it was just working retail jobs but that's how it went for me.

If I was a postal worker I would just bring cold food every day and eat it like that, no competing for microwave.

The other vendor has 4 employees, not 5, and has cut their hours because sales are down since the building collapse. We are hoping hungry construction workers will help boost sales but not yet, not as far as I have seen.