Tuesday, October 8, 2019

A little about bipolar disorder

Ron has chided me on occasion for making assumptions and he is right on occasion.  I have made one here, I have assumed that the bulk of you understand concepts like
manic
depressed
mixed
rapid cycling etc. 

I assumed you would understand about bipolar disorder because you are reading my life.  One reader's genuine bafflement at a classic manic episode has shown a need. 

So I will start at the foundation.  I do not see myself as a great educator and I am battling a horrible depression, but I will do my best. 

Your average person is at a level 5.  Sometimes the mood goes up to a 6 or a 7, sometimes the mood goes down to a 3. 

A depressed person the mood goes down to zero or even below.  The depressed person has trouble even bathing (me, today), cleaning, doing food prep or taking care of "basic" life functions.  I would imagine they generally have a "filthy" house. 

If I did a video blog with my house the way it is now there'd be uproar.  So the depressed person is slower, quieter, "dirtier" for lack of a better phrase.  This is my current state right now. 

A manic person is a 10+, everything in life is great.  I remember my brother in law was very baffled at a mania right before Ron was discharged.  I was 100% confident everything was going to be OK and I would do a great job by him. 

Some things a manic person does a lot: post to their blog (!), talk a lot on the phone or in person, text a lot, spend money.  Sex freak!  The men love that in a manic woman and always such a disappointment when she goes depressed.  We don't just do this, we do it to the extreme.  You can do more research on this.  I have undertaken huge fitness projects like running my half marathon and starting kettlebells. 

So why was I so able to do all the fitness activities some time ago?  Because I was manic.

In fact, when my Dad asked me how long it took me to fix up the garage, I replied "3-4 manias".  Because we have a duration on all this energy and creativity and we had damned well better USE it before the depression comes back like a horrible axe over my head. 

Generally a type one (type two only runs depressed and normal) goes from one extreme to the other with periods of normal in between.  I have a severe variation of this known as "rapid cycling" which means I can go manic to depressed several time in a day, week, or year.  I can also be up and down at the same time, I am, somewhat, today. 

I also get the "schizo" on top of that with fun things like delusions, paranoia, hallucinations all on top of the other symptoms.  This is all very genetic in my family and may I say I am so glad it's ending at me.  No way would I inflict even some of this on my offspring. 

All this results in a double handful of pills every day to control and manage my symptoms.  And overall they do a good job.  My doctor told me "I can't keep you from going up and down but we can keep it to a reasonable level".  And this is far better than what I had before.  I am OK.  My family seem OK, Ron is OK with my moods now. 

I am getting more, hormonal, migraines in addition to the ones I get from my medication.  That also impairs me, I can have a good mania but be stuck in bed with a crippling headache.  Then it is wasted and that is always a shame. 

I try to keep a list of things I need to do the next time I get manic, and do it.  If I have a short lived mania I might burn it out doing cat care, or giving Ron a bath, doing some laundry, or all of it and then back to normal (tired). 

If you want more detail on this I really suggest reading "The Bipolar Survival Guide" I found it very helpful.  One thing he addressed was the importance of sleep, getting enough, consistently, so you can regulate your moods better.  Ron never read any books on bipolar disorder, he felt he had "read" enough in me. 

I will never forget his joy some days after I started my lithium (the heavy hitter).  He raced over to me (he could walk back then), embraced me, and screamed "You're back!  I LOVE YOU SO MUCH!" 

That says it all. 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Could this be why you perceive things to have happened or happened a certain way?: (the kids and the rocks)
”I also get the "schizo" on top of that with fun things like delusions, paranoia, hallucinations all on top of the other symptoms. ”

Heather Knits said...

It was pretty clear the kids were attacking Cleo. I haven't had a delusion in a long time because I take the appropriate medication. Delusions do not scream loudly, run through your yard, leaving the yard littered with rocks and a terrified kitten. I am pretty sure my doctor will back me on that.

So basically you are upset that I got upset that kids were attacking Cleo, that I felt strongly about it, and my only action was to trap her and get her in the house. It was unreasonable?

Well that is just too bad. I thought I showed remarkable restraint.

Anonymous said...

I know about bi polar. My wife has it.

I also know you don’t do what you need to.

Consistent sleep pattern
Calm life
Social situations and good friends

You’ve given up all those to stay with a man who RAPED you and is terrible.

I don’t believe you tell your psych the whole truth because there’s NO way they would be ok with what you are doing.

Heather Knits said...

He is well aware of the situation, Ron's usual condition and what I have had to do as a result of it. The fact Ron doesn't even take me anymore says a lot. Doc needs to know I am under additional stress BUT the lithium levels come back awesome. I am functional. I take my aunt with me because Doc likes an outside party and he always asks her if I am holding up OK, she always says yes.

He may have something to say about + 3 cats. We will see. They are all well cared for so that's what I think is important. You saw Biscuit.

Ron can be great in some aspects, funny, supportive, encouraging, generous to a fault, etc. He can also be an abusive drunk. If he were a jerk all the time I would have left. But he has some good features.

That is not saying he is 100% wonderful he is a mix. Currently he is petting Baby Girl in bed and talking to her.

Re: rape I don't know if you are referring to statutory or the times he blackmailed he into sex. But that is long past and I do my best not to hold grudges.

Anonymous said...

AND not to mention no health insurance and no primary care doctor. You shouldn’t be asking a psychiatrist to treat your migraines. Someone with your condition should also be seeing a regular doctor. Regularly. But RON doesn’t want you to have health insurance.

Heather Knits said...

"Should". Ron would call that "should shit".

I will ask, he will either say 'Yes" or "No". He gave me phenergan for migraines so I am guessing he will help. He saw all my blood test results a few months ago so he knows I am healthy. He knows me better than any other MD.

Ron's pain doctor didn't want me, fine. I will go to my p-doc.

I can't afford half my pay going to a crappy high deductible insurance plan. Especially with all the cat expenses. So far I have been very healthy aside from being bipolar. I haven't even had a bladder or sinus infection in years, thank God. If I did I will go to the doc in the box who understands the concept of "self pay".

I just need something for bad migraine days.