Sunday, September 1, 2019

The champ

Saving this link for later: working with a shy cat. 
http://www.animalalliancenyc.org/nycfci/newsletter/2009-02/shycat.htm

We are already doing a lot of it, but good progress, Cleo was playing with me today after breakfast!   I even pet her a few times.  So proud of her.  All the links say it is hopeless to socialize after 4 months.  I met her at 5.  She is now 6. 

I seriously (as you know)  considered going TNR and just putting her back out, but too many shitheads around here to do that.  Not to mention she deserves to live in a house with her family.  Glad I let Sara at the vet's office talk me into "trying". 

Inside = safe.  They have the catio if they need "enrichment", but tons of toys, cat trees, etc here.  Litter boxes everywhere. 

I told Ron that is the great thing about cats.  Cleo used the box 10 minutes after I let her out of the box.  She knew just what to do and where to go.  Dogs are not that easy.  Not knocking dogs, but I prefer an "easy" animal. 

Speaking of litter boxes I seem to have undergone a sea change.  I used to be like a lot of people, clean it as little as possible, do it resentfully, etc.  Somehow I have undergone a change where I have a "go get 'em" attitude as I approach, multiple times a day, do it without complaint, and feel like THE CHAMP when I finish.  Look at all the poop I hauled!  I am always so proud of the big pee-chunks from Biscuit.  And then I take it out (tied up) and throw it in the garbage.  It is amusing to think I used to care about having a nice smelling trash can.  Now it smells like litter box and rotten food at best. 

I like that I have become this person.  It makes me happy. 

Poor Mama cat is having some trouble.  She loves to groom Cleo's head, so happy she got her baby back.  She was watching her kids, Spot was playing with his ball - he loves a small stuffed ball, it's his favorite toy.  Cleo was murdering some chicken in gravy cat food. 

Mama laid down on her side, calling the kittens to come nurse.  She lay there expectantly, calling them, and they ignored her.  She looked so hurt. 

It made me wish I could get a litter of 3 week fosters for her to pamper.  She'd probably love that.  "I have a lactating queen"

I find it so funny a pregnant/nursing female cat is a queen. 
A female dog is a bitch.  And I like dogs but they are not for me.  Like Ron, I'm just not into the barking. 

I took my shower.  I have been using the shampoo with built in conditioner, it is good for a couple days use at a time but makes my hair greasy if I do it any longer.  So I used some clarifying stuff. 

Chewy emailed me they had already shipped my stuff.  That is not bad.  But I couldn't help but think of the poor bastard at the warehouse loading all my stuff into a box at 12:46 AM.  And the Fed Ex driver picking it up.  But, if you have decent neighbors, it can be pretty cool working nights.  You get to go shop after work when the stores are empty.  You are up for an all nighter on your day off.   But it's hell if they don't let you sleep. 

I just liked another municipal shelter in my county.  Poor guys are desperate for fosters.  I have to tell myself six animals in one home is enough.  But Mama would sure love some kittens to nurse. 

I am apparently not very original in my naming.  The shelter had named their lactating mother "Mama" cat as well. 

Spot is bugging Cleo, I need to go play with him and distract him.  OK, some time with the mouse teaser wand did the job. 

Cleo is completely able to kick his ass, and has, on a couple of occasions.  She did not have a big procedure like her mother did.  She had a very minimally invasive surgery.  Mama cat had to be gutted and a huge uterus taken out.  No wonder the vet ran blood tests before the procedure.  Mama cat had a longer recovery, Cleo has done very well and is running, jumping, and playing.  She has the cutest little shaved tummy with a tiny line of stitches but that's it. 

I do feel better about my odds of getting her to the vet since she is starting to let me handle her.  She has to go twice, once to get the stitches out (I am combining that trip with Mama's booster shot so they can have company and I only have one trip), and then a booster of her own in later September. 

I really feel Cleo will be fine now that the ongoing abuse has stopped, she is reunited with her family and she is experiencing kindness and care at our hands.  She watches me clean the box, feed them, etc.  I play with her and give her gentle pets.  Ron gives her treats, which she adores.  She watches me with the other cats, all of whom are very kind to her. 

I think this will have a good ending. 

But I need to go to my bank, so I'm going to run that errand on the bus.  Ron is happy at home in bed in his underwear, with Baby Girl and Torbie.  Cat hair all over his bed.  But the girls are relaxed and happy with him. 

I knew a guy from work, he came over to my house one day and the cat hid from him.  I never forgot that. 

Off I go.  Hopefully this will go pretty painlessly. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am sure you sitting out there every day feeding her is what helped her socialization even when she wouldn't let you pet her.

Heather Knits said...

All my cats just needed someone to love on them and provide them with consistency, plenty of wholesome food, etc.

One of my drivers was very proud she feeds "her" stray chicken skin and other scraps "I don't do cat food".

Anonymous said...

Just feeding chicken scraps and other food scraps is terrible for cats because they are not getting the nutrients they need (unless they are eating mice and other animals besides that). Just saying.

Heather Knits said...

I agree, but it was even worse than that, she was feeding raw chicken skins... so very little protein.

I know several people who sort of feed a cat, do not claim it as their cat, would never do a TNR...and consider themselves a cat lover. It is very frustrating as Ron and I paid over $700 this month to take care of Mama and Cleo. I am riding around in cabs with a cat carrier doing the right thing and they can drive, etc and won't.

My aunt is not a cat person but one adopted her about 15 years ago. She got the cat fixed (trap), wasn't interested in physical contact with the cat, stayed outside but had shelter, cat food, water. Worried about her. When she moved she found a new home for her as the cat was accustomed to living in the country and would have hated her new place.

I seriously considered giving her one of the kittens but they weren't well socialized early on and she has a lot of grandkids. I figured it was better to keep them around 2 adults only.