Wednesday, September 18, 2019

"I have to get my fix"

Here in America we have a huge cultural theme of getting our fix in the morning.  We have a dealer on every corner, means to produce it in every office, means to get it all over the mental hospital, and a home without a coffee pot is just not a home. 

"I'm no good without my coffee".  Let's change that a little. 

"I'm no good without my meth"
"I'm no good without my heroin"   If you heard a loved one say it you would put them in treatment. 

But I am considered the oddity because I don't use coffee.  I am sensitive to caffeine and can't get too much, it messes with my balance.  But everyone else - I remember one time I worked in an office, I had come in about 10 minutes late.  I asked the supervisor (a very nice lady) what she wanted me to do first, take the phone off of voicemail or make the coffee. 

"Make the coffee!"  Oh-kay. 

Growing up my stepmother HAD to have her coffee every day.  That is not a cut on her because probably 100 million women in America "have" to have their coffee.  She had to stop it for health reasons and does not miss it.  She can always get a decaf if she craves the ritual or the taste. 

I'm not bashing caffeine users, I use it myself.  Unlike many I do not use coffee.  I have gone off it for weeks to months at a time, and I regulate it now.  As of this moment I am a little shy of 180 mg.  My doctor says keep it under 450, so I do.  It is easy enough, happily people campaigned to get caffeine counts on everything now. 

I know some people who use Bang, I saw it at the Walmart yesterday.  If I drank one I would probably get the lemon because I am a citrus girl when it comes to caffeine.  I checked it out, unremarkable ingredients but 300 mg of caffeine each.  Ouch.  That is five bottles of Dr Pepper. 

I admire people like my friend Sean, who went off caffeine entirely due to health reasons.  He had a hard couple weeks at first but is doing great now with no desire to go back.  Way to go, Sean. 

Ron uses very little caffeine and is quite happy to skip it.  Years ago he took too much "Jet Alert" caffeine tablets and had a very bad experience hallucinating, paranoid, and anxious.  That pretty much cured him of caffeine use.  He was so happy when it wore off. 

His lemonade does have caffeine but not much, and he never finishes the bottle. 

What am I trying to say?  Just be aware you are addicted to caffeine.  What does that mean?  If you really need your coffee every morning think about getting some instant for if the machine breaks or you don't have power.  Let me tell you, people in Houston were FRENZIED for coffee after hurricane Ike when many places didn't have water or power.  For them, that was the worst part of the whole storm experience.  Factor that. 

I won't tell you how to spend you money but do look at the cost of all those lattes in a month, are you OK spending that?  I spend a lot of money, I feel, on diet soda, so I don't judge.  I don't have a look in your wallet anyway. 

Lazy option for disaster would just be to buy a bottle of caffeine tablets and take one every day.  It will do the job, it sure did for Ron.  But don't take 3 like he did.  [eek face]. 

Ron just gave me tomorrow off.  OK, I replied.  I got paid so I am good.  Oh, I need to verify my deposit.  It went through. 

Mama and Cleo just came in the room, I petted Mama, Cleo was right there, I petted Cleo a little too... she wanted some milk and let me.  Mama laid down and is nursing Cleo right now. 

I really don't think she will ever stop nursing. 

No comments: