Tuesday, September 17, 2019

Tuesday morning

I got my grocery delivery and slept pretty well last night.  I woke up a little before 7. 

Ron was already up, probably had been up for hours.  "I've been watching the news" he told me somberly, then related a grim tale of torrential rains to come from the system off our coast.  I looked outside, mild and overcast with no rain. 

Now, years ago I mocked a weather forecast when Tropical Storm Allison came ashore.  I called it "dull and boring" and as you know we had an epic flood event out of that.  I actually wrote a story for the newspaper about that. 

And they have taken it down - it was almost 20 years ago so not surprised.  I was going to put up a link.  Anyway, Ron and I got stranded at work and had to walk out about 13 miles.  Back when he could walk. 

So I don't mock weather but I wasn't impressed or, more accurately, intimidated.  Ron bowed out of going to Walmart.  I would have to take a cab. 

I figured I had better do it quick just in case the storm did worsen.  I took a shower and got dressed.   Ron suggested I call Alex as we haven't called him a lot lately.  He was in the medical center (across town).  I called Arturo a couple times but went to voicemail, he wasn't up yet. 

I was dressed and ready to go.  I called Yellow and got a ride in about 20 minutes.  He was a nice man.  I would ride with him again. 

I got there quickly and performed the primary function: pay the electric bill.  Years ago Ron mixed up the account number for the pay by phone - and it didn't process.  So the company has held a massive grudge against Ron and he must pay at the kiosk at Walmart.  This is apparently irrevocable.  So I go in and pay every month, not that big a deal and it's not like he did it deliberately. 

So I did that.  (It was $140 if you were curious).  I did my personal shopping.  I found Diet Mountain Dew and the lemonade Ron loves.  He is very partial to the store brand electrolyte energy lemonade.  I loaded up on that. 

He is SO bad about drinking enough water.  He doesn't drink enough to keep a rat a alive, but he is constantly asking for more lemonade.  It is great, it really keeps him hydrated so I am HAPPY to give it to him. 

I didn't need a lot of cat stuff but I did get a few cans of something to try on them, if they like it I can have Chewy send a case.  I just got litter and have over 100 pounds.  I just got the mega-bowl for their water. 

I wanted something to line their carriers when I am transporting them.  I looked at baby blankets, that is what they use at the vet to cover the cage when they do the Feliway.  But they were expensive.  I got 5 towels at $2.50 each.  They will surely suffice for cat transport.  If I know I am "moving" someone I can put the towel in the bed for a few days first so it smells like us.  I would hope the cats find my scent reassuring. 

And I got another microfiber to make up for the one Cleo soiled. 

I checked out, total wasn't horrible.  I had already gone to the bank.  I kept some money back for Biscuit's boarding.  I don't imagine I will need that much but I don't want to be caught short.  I got some takeout. 

I called my first driver. 

When someone drops me at Walmart I always tell them I will give them first crack at my ride home.  He said no thanks but after an inquiry said I could keep his number.  I called Arturo, really hoping he could do it.  He could. 

I had a little bit of a wait (didn't mind) and talked to an older lady waiting on paratransit.  It made the time pass.  And there's Arturo. 

We got the back loaded and off we went.  The nice thing about Arturo he knows where I live and I only seldom have to give him directions.  I opened the garage door when we pulled in and he put most of the stuff in the garage. 

I gave Ron his stuff (I like to get him little treats) and put my stuff away.  The cats wanted to play in the garage, the weather is mild (still no real rain), so I propped the door and let them (the door to outside is closed). 

#6 is doing more remodeling.  He does massive projects, a couple times every year.  I don't see why.  From what I saw when they had the blinds up one day, I was getting out of a cab and had to turn toward their house to help Ron, they have a very nice interior.  No one else with a home by this builder is compulsively FIXING ALL THE TIME doing something.  Today it seems to be painting.  They just painted the interior a couple of years ago.  He is just doing for the sake of doing, can't leave well enough alone.  I feel sorry for his wife, going through all the remodel upheaval every few months.  What a waste of money.  I bet he wouldn't do it if he had to pay for his own health insurance (the taxpayers are on the hook for that). 

And my house (laugh) could use paint, siding, could use a wider bathroom doorway, could use grab bars for Ron... and we don't. 

I will try to make a cell phone video and post to Youtube when I get up from my nap.  I have been really bad about taking my antidepressant lately but I took it today.  I am just waiting on the towels to finish in the washer before I lie down. 

I gave Mama cat some wet for breakfast, then some dry when I got home.  Biscuit got 2 servings of dry.  Cleo was adorable today, she kept getting in my way but I was gentle with her.  She laid on my shoes this morning and I went around barefoot as long as I could before I gently reached - spooking her.  I told her (softly) I was sorry and put them on.  But she has been running around watching me put my stuff away.   Spotty has also been precious. 

The girls have mainly hung out with Ron, it's like they claimed him when they sorted out territory one day.  Mama cat can have me, but the girls (Torbie and Baby Girl) get Ron.  I don't care as long as they all get along. 

Torbie does still sleep with me. 

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

No wonder they are all shitting their brains out , with all the different types and massive amounts of food offered to them.

Anonymous said...

How are the tax payers on the hook for his insurance? That’s... not how it works, even if he is illegal.

Heidi said...

I hope you mess with the dates of your posts so no one knows really when you are gone?
For those who are worried of the cats going ballistic ..chill they were in worse shape before she took them in and life is much better now no matter what ...I just imagine the liter boxes will be a nightmare but that is their problem not ours ! We can watch and be happy they are not in our home!

Besides she may be gone and back by now if she is not posting daily that would be a smart thing so no one would know what is what

Much love and have a wonderful trip and if you are back and doing some delayed or early posting to confuse us ? Good for you!

Heather Knits said...

Misdelivered mail to my box, on more than one occasion, with his kids' names and a welfare insurance return address. I did not open but pretty obvious what it was.

Me at mid forties alone health insurance was $500 a month when I turned it off. I can only imagine what it would be for two adults and six kids. He makes plenty of money and lives a pretty lavish lifestyle, fancy cars, constant remodels, very nice clothes for everyone, frequent catalog deliveries. I know his wife runs an off the books daycare so that cash is not reported. I also believe a significant percentage of his construction work is paid cash off the books and not reported, so they qualify for the welfare.

I know they get the insurance and I can only imagine what else they get. She drives a 50K minivan (I looked it up) and he drives a late model truck, new vehicles (as in brand new) every couple of years so some fraud is definitely going down.

Heather Knits said...

Heidi, I have the Blogger app so I can still post, can't do photos though. I can say I don't leave for a while yet.

2 trips - overnight next week, Ron at home so OK to say gone Monday night, come home Tuesday, Biscuit spends the night at the vet boarded.

Weeks later, both of us go out of town, Biscuit is boarded for the weekend. I am hoping he does well next week and next month is no big deal to him. He's a good boy and they love him at the Vet. He is good for them unlike Cleo "gator cat".

Anonymous said...

Do you have proof that they do these “off the books” things? Also just because they had a welfare check before doesn’t mean they have one now. You make WAY too many assumptions about people way too much.

Are you paying the lovely Obamacare tax fee at tax time since you have no healthcare coverage? It’s a shame your husband-employer can’t provide healthcare coverage

Heather Knits said...

The only way they can have all their crap and still get welfare is if they are working off the books. I qualified for welfare once when I made about $80 a week, 27 years ago. I imagine the requirements are equally stringent. And, back then, I only took Medicaid and did not take the food stamps they offered.

You need to work on your reading comprehension. I never said they got a "welfare check" I said they got insurance paperwork from the Medicaid children's program. The return address was very clear. Medicaid is for indigent/very poor families living in the ghetto or have lost everything. Not ones with a stay at home mom with 6 kids in school running a daycare (I see the damn kids dropped off every day, and picked up, have for years). Husband/father working 12 hour days and must be getting paid pretty well out of it to live the way they do. A small example, they recently bought an expensive chrome grill and have used it about 3 times in a year.

If they are both working full time and still qualify for welfare, they must not be reporting income. If the agency did a title search and found their vehicles they might be disqualified but that's on the agency and not me.

There is no penalty anymore with obamacare. Trump took care of that. You really need to inform yourself before you start throwing rocks. If Ron and I, barely working, cannot qualify for welfare/medical coverage (me at least) for me then how are they LYING next door to qualify with BOTH of them working full time?

They are VERY comfortable. Why shouldn't they be? So I wonder what other perks they are getting, like food stamps. If they are getting the full welfare package (food stamps alone would be over $700 a month for the whole clan) then they are milking the taxpayers for thousands a month in addition to the income they are not reporting. That upsets me. We work hard and pay our taxes and I expect the people around me to do the same.

If you need a hand I hope it is there for you but if you are working off the books cash jobs and committing fraud I will point a finger at you. I don't ask for ANYTHING.

Anonymous said...

"There is no penalty anymore with obamacare. Trump took care of that. You really need to inform yourself before you start throwing rocks. If Ron and I, barely working, cannot qualify for welfare/medical coverage (me at least) for me then how are they LYING next door to qualify with BOTH of them working full time?"

Why don't you got to a charity or a free lawyer to re-evaluate this? There's a chance you didn't do it right or fill out forms right--not a diss, it is TOUGH to do.

Alex said...

I agree with anonymous. Heather, you work at a federally subsidized vending program for the blind. You yourself are not blind, and could be doing other work, yet you earn a paycheck from that program. So taxpayer money is going towards supporting you working at that federally subsidized program. when you point a finger at someone, three more point right back to you...

Heather Knits said...

I am a hired, on the books employee. Ron pays taxes on me. I am not seeing anything "paid taxes" or "on the books" next door at all.

I don't earn a paycheck from the program, I earn a paycheck from my hard work, ON THE BOOKS as an employee. Ron has to fill out lines on a report about me every month. Again, on the books.

If they were disabled (they're not) I would understand if one of them got a benefit check or some Medicare, help with wheelchair and stuff like that. No problem.

But these are able bodied people CHEATING the system to make themselves appear indigent. Ron and I have NEVER done that. In fact, the few times we did apply for assistance we were always told we made too much money to qualify. That's how I know they are frauds, we "made to much" at barely 2K a month for both of us, I know they are lying to get welfare.

If you are OK with that it's on you - it's money that won't be available to YOU when you need it. But they are living very nicely on your money. It's just one of many reasons I don't put them in the nice-guy seating.

Heather Knits said...

@ obama care thing - I double checked online, no fine.

We have a guy.

Anonymous said...

I would get a new guy. You should qualify. I’m a nurse and have seen who legally gets it. Want me to send you people who can help in your area?

Heather Knits said...

Oh, I'm OK. (((Hugs))) That is very sweet. Right now I am just focusing on taking good care of myself and building up a small emergency fund before I find a decent catastrophic plan. I do plan to get a policy after I build up a small emergency fund (somewhat depleted by cat expenses)...and I need a new toilet as well...

Anonymous said...

Why do you go through so many toilets?

Heather Knits said...

We have only had 2 in the house since we bought it almost 16 years ago. It is the same toilet, doing just the strangest things. Once I have the new one in I will talk some about what I have had to go through with this one.

I just want to flush with confidence knowing what I input is going away. That is all. Things are so bad now I don't even put paper in the bowl, throwing it in a trash can that is disposed daily.

There is a chance I may just be able to replace a part inside the tank and have a fix. But do I want to do that and have to do it again in a year or two or just get a whole new better working toilet? Or is there such a thing?

I have had really bad luck with toilets going back to when I was a toddler in daycare and trapped in a stall with an overflowing toilet. I was in pretty traumatized shape by the time they found me (not to mention probably a mess). My second home (10-18) had such bad plumbing...it was insane. Most apartments I stayed with Ron were OK but the house has had problems.

We had a guy with a scope last year who looked and the line is clean so that isn't it. I am baffled, frustrated, and downright scared to use my toilet most days.

And that is sad.

Alex said...

You: "I don't ask for ANYTHING"

Also you: "the few times we did apply for assistance we were always told we made too much money to qualify"

So... You absolutely HAVE asked for something, more than once, you just didn't get it.

The contradictions you make about your own finances are dizzying. It just makes the bizarre assumptions you make about this family's finances even more ridiculous.

Heather Knits said...

What have I asked for? Medicaid to get my wisdom teeth out (boy that was a nightmare). Asked for utility assistance but told I had to have a 3 day notice to be considered. Paid that on my own. Low cost spay and neuters for some of our pets but I did pay my share. I asked for rehab for Ron because his family was convinced it was the answer to all their problems, a guilt free place to stick Ron and forget about him. They wouldn't let it go, so I filled out the form in their presence and handed it to the representative. Who reviewed it in MY presence after they left and said we had better forget about it, we "made too much" and Ron was not in any shape for rehab. He was very frank and I appreciated him not sugar coating. When they raised some money at work for us I took it, damned right I did... some money raised online I also took that. One of my online buddies gave me a ride home the day of Ron's discharge. My Dad paid for my wedding and either he or my aunt bought me some new glasses. That's all I can think of off hand.

My general policy is I don't ask. If someone wants to help I accept it but I don't ask. Overall God takes very good care of us.