Saturday, August 31, 2019

Cleo let me pet her

We had a standoff.  Mama cat was on her house and Torbie came over. 

Torbie likes the house, as well.  She wanted to use it.  Mama cat said no, growling, putting her ears back, plenty of hissing.  Torbie kept looking up at her and inching forward, then gave up and left.  But not before she scratched on the side of the house. 

I have a spot I plan to clear.  It has a dead suitcase Torbie scratched up and loves to sleep on.  I think she would much rather have a house of her own.  If nothing else both cats will have access to a house at the same time. 

I want to pamper everyone equally.  I will not play favorites.  I am not as close to Baby Girl because she is a one person cat, and chose to bond to Ron.  But I love them all equally. 

I do have a soft spot for the abused ones, which is all of them.  Anyway, Ron enjoyed my narration of the battle - and this is the only serious conflict I have seen in a month of living together - so much he offered to buy the new house.  So I went to Chewy.  They made it easy to find what I had just bought and put it in the cart. 

I looked at some litters.  Cat toys.  I got some "hypernip" toys and a compressed catnip mouse.  The old guard love those.  And I'm over $50 and checking out. 

Biscuit came to me and looked so pitiful, I opened a can of his prescription food.  He is not crazy about it but the new cats love it.  Something brushed against my leg, it was Cleo. 

I bent over and pet her.  She let me.  I was so surprised I did it again, she did jump that time and then scooted off a little, but she didn't go far.  She came over once I put the food on the floor and began eating. 

Way to go, Cleo! 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like Ron is just making it a treat for all since he is now just throwing treats on the floor - from your previous post. You should be monitoring the food and taking it up so biscuit doesn't get sick again. Why you keep relaxing the rules on this is very confusing.

Heather Knits said...

We talked. I asked him how he would feel if Biscuit got blocked and was crying in pain. He was horrified.

SO we do the treats when I am watching to ensure Big Mouth doesn't come over. Ron also pets the cats before he puts the treats down, and knows what Biscuit feels like.

For instance, I went out today, when I came back he was in the kitchen. I watched as he gave Mama and Spotty some treats and made sure they were all gone. It's a little more hassle - things would be a lot easier without the special diet, but Biscuit is worth it.

It does make me wonder how many cats with FLUTD (his condition) are given up or put down because "It is too much work".