Sunday, September 15, 2019

Sunday Afternoon

It's been my experience many people can give me ideas I wouldn't have necessarily considered.  An example: on the phone with my adoptive mom last night.  "How are you going to do their water when you go out of town next month?  How fast do you run through your automatic water fountains?" 

Well, crap.  I have to fill those every day, I estimate we do about half a gallon a day minimum.  I will have to unplug the fountains because they can't run dry.  Which means I will have to do something else for their water. 

I have one large bowl that might hold them for a day or so.   I plan to get another one of those and add it to the existing supply.  I found a 4 gallon bottle on Walmart's website.  I can start that this week and get them used to it by the time we go. 

Wow... now that was very interesting.  As you may know I am plagued by headaches, particularly ones I get in the afternoon.  I did lie down for a nap but couldn't really sleep, all I got out of it was a cuddle with Biscuit (still at the top of the cuddly cat list).and a nasty headache. 

I got up and had a very cold caffeine drink.  It didn't help.  I saw a small bottle of OJ in the fridge.  I got them originally because I envisioned serving Ron his Kratom as an OJ drink with the powder.  But the powder has a very strong taste and he prefers capsules at all costs.  So the OJ has just sort of sat there. 

Anyway, I figured, maybe I need some sugar or potassium.  I drank one.  It is 10 ounces.  And the headache is gone almost instantly.  That's some good juice.  I put more on the list.  Good to know.  My favorite is the super pulpy kinds but that is less popular.  I will look. 

Dozens of choices, two that might work: pulp and high pulp.  Useful to know. 

So I had a nap with Biscuit... always a good time.  I love how he likes to throw a leg over me.  It is very cozy. 

I did all the housework already, Ron will need his shirt changed.  I fed him twice and got him kratom  couple of times.  That works very well for his pain.  I am glad I tried it. 

I have 4 varieties.  I use a different one on him every day.  That way he doesn't build up a tolerance.  I would like to add 2 more "Super Red" (doesn't that just SOUND effective?) and Red Malay, add those to the rotation, that would be pretty much a different variety every day of the week.  We still have plenty so no rush to reorder.  I am just so glad it is available. 

I do need to get a capsule machine (I asked for one for my birthday) and some kilos - doesn't that sound hard core?  Make up my own capsules, that will save a lot of money. 

The Kratom works on his agonizing pain but does not touch my headaches.  The green variety, sort of a cup of coffee type, does a good job of getting me going without making me jittery, so it does work, just not on my headaches.  I would get more green when my current bottle runs low but I don't take it every day.  Again, you have to be careful you don't build up tolerance, and it is a blend so I can't rotate like I do with Ron. 

My stepmother already shipped my present, it is an Amazon box on one of my kitty condos.  It is medium sized.  It is clearly not the cat carrier I had on my list, I will have to buy that myself.  But Amazon sells it with a plush little bed if you want and I would do that for Cleo <3 p="">
Oh, I almost forgot.  You guys are going to get sick of pictures.  I am glad I cleaned under the table. 
Even though I don't have any vet expenses other than Biscuit's stay at the "hotel" I still have a list of stuff I want to get for the cats:
Water bowl options to get them used to drinking out of something other than the fountain.
Carrier dedicated for Cleo, with front and top opening and a little plush bed. 
Stuff from Chewy: cat litter (but I would try Walmart first), cat food, maybe some probiotics. 

Not to go into much detail but the cats are still a little stressed and it is showing in the litter box.  We know it isn't parasites.  So, probiotics and a Feliway diffuser on the list too.  The vet uses Feliway and it works wonders on them.  She has a massive "vet size" spray bottle.  I have a smaller bottle and it helps at times.  The trick being to spray it on a paper towel and shove said towel into the carrier. 

So I will try the probiotics and the Feliway this pay period.  See if it helps.  I think it is important to look at the whole cat, but if you've looked at the last couple photos of Cleo she is a lot more relaxed lately.  Even after her trip to the vet. 

I will get paid tomorrow so that will be nice.  And I won't have a big investment.  I had my phone die and a pretty meaty vet bill the last pay period. 

I am just debating if I should make a Walmart order for tomorrow and get that, then go to Walmart on Tuesday, on the bus, and not really buy anything because I already got it.  Thinking about that. 

Ron is back to drinking in the kitchen.  I will need to figure out dinner, I am thinking one of my frozen chicken parmesan dinners.  Ron had a "big" lunch for him so not likely he will want anything for dinner. 

I am really leaning toward making a Walmart delivery for tomorrow.  

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why do you have to attend a conference every year? It sounds lame. If you want the cats to get used to the carriers you can leave them out with a towel in them so they can go in them like a little kitty cave. This way when it is vet time it will be easy to get them to go in the carrier. Of course the cats are ALL stressed. You never did a proper introduction period and threw everyone in together. 6 cats is a lot of cats. I shudder to think what will happen when you are gone for how many days at the stupid conference.

Anonymous said...

What about one of those water dispensers that holds a big tank and only dispenses a little at a time (I hope I’m describing it right). They look the same for food

Heather Knits said...

Attendance is actually written into our contracts. It is one of the most boring things you can imagine + a lot of politics. And everyone drinks. So you have Ron with alcohol and VIPS...it tends to be an anxious period for me.

They all get along pretty well unless Torbie gets catnip, then she gets evil.

I can get everyone in a carrier - I even did Cleo last week. I want to have a box for each cat should we have to evacuate or board them. I have 3 that are acceptable. So I will work on adding new ones. I really like the Chewy one I got and will probably get one Amazon (front and top load, hard side just like vet said) for Cleo as she is more difficult and then 2 Chewy ones, they have the pee channel and are nice and spacious, rated for a larger animal. One a pay period will not be a big bite.

Anonymous said...

Can you pay one of Ron’s alcohol fetchers/drinking buddies to take him to the conference so you can stay home or do you have to go?

Heather Knits said...

@ having someone take him. I could but there is really only one person who would do it, he gets lost easily, terrible driver, etc. Vehicle is also broken. Years ago he wanted Ron to find him a slutty blind woman. There is a young, pretty, blind vendor... he would be all over her like a cheap suit (she is married but that wouldn't stop him). He would not help regulate Ron's drinking and probably get him very drunk on purpose so Ron would embarrass himself. So I would never have that done.

It is not that bad. I take Ron to the bar (about the only time I do that) he gets a few drinks, says hi to everyone, and I take him up to the room - nothing to worry about. My aunt and uncle are giving us rides both ways so that is really excellent... already made hotel reservation for a handicap room so Ron will have a safe toilet, etc. It won't be bad.

@ water fountain - that is what I did, I bought a 4 gallon water thing, it looks like a water cooler with a bowl at the bottom. More comes out when they drink. That plus a couple of big bowls ought to do it. I will just make sure to put the water far away from food and litter boxes so they can't get contaminated. The cats dig in the box like they are looking for treasure.

Heidi said...

I say get the hell out of there enjoy the conference and the cats will be fine! Maybe next year you can buy a cheapo camera set up for general kitty viewing and make a deal with someone you like to go over in an emergency
I do not know if it would be ok to do this where you live or how your water situation is but my friend let kept a heavy mug of water under a slowly dripping faucet in each bathroom and that was the watering system when she traveled . Same person who put the baskets on the wall and made me want a kitty just to watch it enjoy the baskets I would hang up! Genius what you cat folks come up with .....your catio is everything have they all been enjoying it?

Heather Knits said...

OH, I got the 4 gallon water tank with attached bowl. They should be good for days. Now I just need to place it.

Anonymous said...

A nanny cam would be a good idea while you are at the conference. You can watch the cats and make sure they are OK.

Alex said...

I second the nanny cam idea. I use one myself when I go on vacation to make sure the cats are safe, getting fed by the sitter, ect. Great for peace of mind.