Thursday, September 12, 2019

It's too early for this

I woke up at 3 with a proto-headache.  I got up and drank a caffeine drink, laid back down for a while.  It faded off but the caffeine wasn't letting me sleep.  So I got up. 

Everyone was begging for breakfast, I stopped free-feeding a while back.  Cleo will let me near when she's eating so I figured I had better odds if she is hungry.  I decided to feed most of the cats later, and Biscuit now. 

So I put his dry in the food bowl on top of the table.  He ate and wandered off.  I left the bowl there (not intentionally). 

Now I had set up the carrier so I could "throw" a cat in there and close it easily, when I caught her.  It was ready to go.  I passed the table and there is Cleo on top of it, eating Biscuit's food.  I snatched her up and put her in the carrier.  It was pretty painless.  I had asked God to make it easy and He did. 

I got her closed in.  She is probably 4 pounds and the carrier is rated up to 25, it is nice and roomy, the biggest I have.  She will have to stay there for about 5 hours but she is caught. 

To me that was job #1 catch her and get her in carrier.  Now I know she is pretty "easy" to catch I can wait until later next time.  We are both learning. 

Things went well for a while.  The headache stayed gone, I had some iced tea and a green kratom for energy.  Ron was in some pain but I gave him kratom to help. 

He got upset over a news article of a "poor undocumented immigrant" coming to the US for "free" medical treatment for his rare condition.  That, in my eyes, is totally [censored].   No one brought him here, he came illegally and wants free care because "We're the US and we take care of everyone". 

I wouldn't have had a problem if a hospital donated care and brought him here legally, sponsored him and paid all his bills instead of letting him "fall" on the taxpayer. 

Ron thought it was a great story.  I did not.  I said the US cannot take care of her own citizens, what makes people think we can spent millions on ONE illegal?  When we have homeless vets waiting months at the VA? 

The discussion got a little heated and Ron realized I would not climb aboard the liberal bandwagon.  We CANNOT afford to care for every illegal who comes over the border, much less the kids they will have.  They don't support themselves, we have to, and then send all their disposable "back home". 

A good example is #6.  He is working cash jobs off the books, his wife has an off the books daycare with "regulars" every day, none of this is reported, two late model cars, $100K home, and they are getting welfare?  I got the papers in my mail box and read the return address before I gave it to them. 

Cleo got a little agitated.  Ron heard it and got upset I had put her in the carrier so early.  I stand by my decision: I had no idea if I could even catch her, I had to do it when I had an easy shot.  I don't regret that. 

HOWEVER next time I know it will be easier and I can wait, so she will only be in there 20-30 minutes before we go to the vet.  It is a learning curve.  I have never had a half-feral cat in the house before. 

I feel bad for Cleo but I can't let her out, she is already hissing at me.  I'm not afraid she will hurt me but it she gets out she is going to hide and nothing's getting her out.  I promised her some tuna when I get her home, which I will provide.  I am NOT catching her again today.  It will be hard enough in the exam room at the vet.  I am not stupid enough to open that door. 

But Ron feels bad because "meow" "cage rattle".  I don't, she needs medical care (stitches out).  In fact, I get to do this again in 2 weeks for her last round of shots.  Fun!

He has all the fun of ownership without the messy parts like the litter box, spending grocery money on prescription cat food, etc.  Taking them to the vet.  I do appreciate the money he gives me for the vet on occasion but he's not doing the hard work. 

So I got a little pissed when this armchair quarterback starts second guessing every decision I made today, saying I am an animal abuser, etc.  I only have her best interest in mind.  I did take his advice to give her some treats, which she liked.  Glad I did that and he was right on that - credit where credit is due. 

But shouting at me calling me names, saying things like: "I have him hating God" , etc. don't help the situation.  And Cleo was feeding off his upset getting progressively more upset.  But as far as he was concerned that was "my" fault.   He finally rolled off to his room, cursing at me, after drinking a plentiful amount of vodka.  He is in bed right now watching "altered" news.  But he is quiet. 

I found the Feliway and soaked a paper towel, put that in the carrier like they do at the vet.  Cleo: HISS.  She is not feeling like a  nice little girl right now.  I hope she doesn't bite anyone.  If she does, I'm glad she had her rabies shot.  The Feliway helped a lot, and I put a towel over the cage as well.  But she calmed down. 

Makes me think I should get a Feliway diffuser.  It was pretty dramatic.  I wish I had done this before Ron got up. 

Mama cat is nice and available sitting on her apartment.  She ate the entire can (5 oz) of Salmon dinner today, which is great as I ordered a whole damned case of the stuff.  She didn't like it when I had other food available, but hunger makes a good seasoning.  I am not starving them but I am not letting them free-feed off Biscuit's dry.  I don't think it would be very good for them and it is highly expensive.  I don't mind spending it on Biscuit but I do mind spending it on 5 other healthy cats who can eat anything. 

I am taking the Royal Canin wet food to the vet, she gets FLUTD cases and I don't, she can feed it to the cats.  Biscuit won't touch it but maybe one of her other patients will.  It is an option at any rate.  He does like the Purina wet prescription formula - he will eat some of that.  So I'm glad I got that case but not in a big hurry to feed it every day or order a new case.  I see it more in a "being boarded at the vet" situation where he has a choice of wet or dry now.  He does love his dry, though.  So does everyone else, which is what got Cleo caught this morning. 

So she is peaceful now.  I have about 3 hours before I have to go to the vet.   Ron is in bed, here's hoping he stays there until I leave. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What if Cleo needs to use the bathroom?

Heather Knits said...

That's what Ron said... when we get to the vet I will throw an old towel in there.

I wasn't operating from a place of logic, just "Quick! Get her!"

Lesson learned.

Anonymous said...

You could always put a litter box in with her for now.

Heather Knits said...

Carrier isn't that big. If I open that door:
1. She's going to hurt me.
2. She is going to run.

My carrier has a pee channel in it if she does go but I think she is asleep. She has been very quiet which is great.

This will all be over soon and I have learned my lesson, it is easier to catch her than I thought. I was still half asleep when I did catch her.