Wednesday, September 4, 2019

It just wasn't a good morning

"Paratransit needs more drivers" ours suggested.  Quite possible.  She was an hour late and they dropped another trip on her before we got to the bank. 

We get to the destination, a sweet looking old lady out front.  Blind, going to dialysis.  In her 70's, she said later. 

COULD NOT WALK.  At all.  The caregiver and the driver had to get under each armpit and literally drag her to the vehicle, then she took about 5 minutes to get inside. 

Ron: "Where's your wheelchair"
Woman: "I don't need no wheelchair." 
Ron: "It sounds like they had trouble getting you over here.  Don't be a proud woman and use a wheelchair, it is better for everyone."   The caregiver was nodding. 
Woman: "I don't need no wheelchair". 

The caregiver ran off, leaving the driver wondering how she was going to get the client out of the vehicle and into the building.  "She needs to travel with a provider" the driver said, outraged.  I agreed. 

Now Ron and I had discussed what to do about my cell phone today.  It would not turn on, and it got very hot.  It was clearly fried, but I dropped it a lot and had it for over 3 years so not a bad run.  I had already decided I would not spend more than $100 when it did go, and I wouldn't get another phone until I had to do it. 

I don't believe in wasting money. 

There is a store near our home.  I planned to go there.  I told Ron the cab could drop me there on the way home, and then take Ron home.  And I realized he cannot get into the house on his own.  It's just not possible. 

When I go out of town he is going in the house that Monday afternoon and not coming out until Tuesday when I get home.  He could get out in an emergency but it would take everything.  But he cannot get IN the house. 

So I cursed to myself thinking damn he can be a burden... but didn't say it because I am not a bitch.  I just said, oh, nevermind (very lightly) we will take YOU home, I will get you in the house, then run back to the cab and go to the cell phone store from there. 

And that's what we did, after the bank.  I parked him and ran back out, we went to the store, which is not far in a cab. 

"Hell" I told the driver (Alex) "I could walk home". 

The store was empty, save the clerk, who helped me pick out a new phone.  He recommended the Motorola phone and that's what I got.  It was a nice size, had a good display, and looked easy.  I got an awesome "heavy duty" looking hot pink and black case.  My old case was hot pink so I found it funny I have a theme here, and I have ZERO hot pink in my wardrobe.  Even funnier, I am not with Tmobile, the "hot pink" company.  The only other selection was a sickly mint green and I wasn't doing that. 

It cost $81 with tax, so well under my limit.  $100 in 3 years is not bad, though.  He set it up and handed it to me, ready to go.  I don't have a lot of numbers memorized but I did know Ron's, I called him, he said I sounded sexy and he sounded very nice himself.  So great sound quality - nice.  I have had a pretty easy time figuring it out. 

I am anal about phone numbers and actually write them out in a notebook.  So I just took the book out and programmed everyone I felt mattered.  A lot of it was work, some family, Ron of course.  Alex and Arturo, my double team of cab drivers.  Yellow cab.  Vet number and her cell, emergency vet # as well. 

All done, it took about 15 minutes.  I took a picture of Spotty and then sent it to my Mom, she said the quality was better.  As you know a lot of my old photos were pretty blurry, not sure if that was me or the phone. 

And I have no clue how to connect the phone to a computer.  I will have to install the Blogger app and see if it works on the new phone.  I'll figure it out. 

I walked over to the grocery store from the store.  It is probably the closest store to my home, but I didn't like them much because they got a massive attitude with me once and accused me of being a shoplifter.  I also applied to work there back when things were REALLY bad and they never responded.  I feel I am pretty well qualified and I admit I was insulted, first the shoplifter time and then when the didn't even call me for an interview. 

BUT it was right there and I was thirsty.  So I went in.  I got some cookies, a bag of chips for Ron, and a couple of sodas.  They also had the little instant drink mix tubes I like.  You put one tube's contents into a glass of water and get lemonade, tea, whatever.  The bus stop was super close as those things go and the wait wasn't bad. 

I tried to figure out how to answer my phone, Ron kept calling but it was very bright and I couldn't figure out how to answer.  I finally went under some trees and called him, he was pretty drunk.  The bus came, I went home.  I remember thinking it was not to bad re: heat and humidity, but maybe I am just acclimated.  I did sweat some. 

#6 drove right past me.  I thought that was funny because one time she picked me up, kept going on it was too hot and too far to walk (half a mile?).  This time apparently she's been reading my blog because she kept driving.  It's possible she didn't see me.  I imagine it is easy to tune out a pedestrian when you are driving.  I didn't care, I can get myself home and my stuff was light. 

I got home and talked to Ron for a little bit, took him to bed and helped him in.  He did a treating in his bed (I am amazed he doesn't get roaches), including Biscuit.  We have special treats for Biscuit and he adores them. 

I like to think someone at Royal Canin had a cat that developed FLUTD.  The cat did well on their dry daily kibble but missed his treats.  So the owner "pitched" special treats for this condition, at work, they liked it, and now we have Urinary SO treats for Biscuit.  I buy them steadily so hopefully they will keep making them. 

I plugged in my new cell phone, it was down to about half a battery, not bad - and laid down for a nap with Biscuit, once he finished with Ron.  Biscuit and I had a pretty good nap but I did wake up with a headache.  I drank some cold caffeine and started putting numbers in my phone book.  I have a hard copy phone book in with my disaster supplies, I spent some time putting the numbers. 

I haven't had much trouble with Androids so I set that up pretty easy.  I added a few to my favorites.  Now I need to put blogger on the phone and see if I can upload photos like that. 

I could not with the old phone, it would just say 'Publish failed". but I will give it a good try.  Worst case I have Facebook loaded on my phone and I am sure I could do it that way.  Half of you know my full name anyway and at least one has my address, so not worried about crosslinking. 

Hopefully the cat tree comes today, I could use a nice positive thing.  Cleo has been pretty jumpy today but did let me touch her a few times.  I want to get her used to being handled but it may take a while.  It is hard to know how hard to push.  I don't want to push her away but I don't want her hiding either. 

All this I will have to push back on Spotty until next week, I am OK with that I think he is fine since I installed the new litter box near the computer room doorway.  I need to scoop all that and take it out when I feel a little better but it is OK for now. 

Wish me luck with the Blogger app. 

No comments: