Tuesday, September 10, 2019

I am 99% sure I caught the pisser

Last night was pretty uneventful, on my computer, don't know if I told you I ordered some cleaning supplies with Walmart delivery, to come today. 

I have 3 cat trees in the front of the house.  One near the front door, one near "my" chair, and one near the computer room doorway.  It is one of those wider doors with the accordion closure.  I wouldn't want to get dressed in here with the door closed but it is fine for our purposes. 

As you know I have 2x found "piddles" on the floor of the computer room right near the door.  I "fixed" it by installing a litter box. 

Mama cat has lately been hanging out in here a lot, which I like.  There are not, however, that many areas to the house.  Front room, kitchen, computer room, hall, Ron's room, my room.  The bedrooms have been off limits to the new guys apparently because I never see them there. 

The computer room is contested.  Apparently.  And I found some small piddles, which I cleaned immediately and treated with nature's miracle.  I set up a litter box in the piddle spot and that fixed it for quite a while. 

I came in the computer room and found Torbie standing over fresh urine, right next to the litter box.  IT'S YOU.  And I was blaming poor intact Spotty because everyone knows a Tom is a pisser.  I felt so bad for scolding Spotty. 

I said "Torbie" in a disappointed voice and she ran off.  I cleaned it and treated with Nature's Miracle.  Ron dated a woman, many years ago, who had a guide dog and the school suggested NM for "accidents". 

I told Ron, at first he was mad "I won't have pissing in my house".  Then he wanted Jackson Galaxy.  I reminded him a LOT of changes lately and they were competing over the computer room, this was their way of claiming it.  I said it was a sign Torbie needed more attention and reassurance.  I picked up Torbie (I just don't do that with the cats because so many of them hate it), and hugged her, petting her and telling her she was special.  She liked it for a while, then wiggled and I put her down.  She sat on the cat tree by the computer room, growling at anyone who tried to enter, and I ignored it because they need to hash all this out on their own.  I told Ron we need to make special efforts to be inclusive with Torbie.  He is in his bedroom petting and talking to her right now. 

I think she will be fine, it's just an adjustment; she is an old lady with post traumatic issues from her time in the shelter.  Don't get me wrong, the BARC shelter did absolutely everything for her, I wish my home was as "catified" as the visiting room I entered... but it was a strain and it probably comes back when she sees THREE new cats in her home.  She was really OK until we got Cleo going. 

But we will make it.  I don't blame Torbie.  I have a nice, mostly, full bottle of Nature's Miracle, too, and plenty of paper towels.  That does give me a little rope on Spotty's neuter, if he isn't pissing I have more time to get him done.  Most of what he does with Cleo is play wrestling. 

I do think I will have the vet keep him for a couple days after his fix so he won't rip anything playing with his sister.  Cleo is small but feisty and could put a hurt on him.  Biscuit actually ripped his stitches playing with Gravy after their neuter.  It's only about $20 a day and worth it to me to keep him healthy. 

The microchip company emailed me, said there was a problem with Mama.  I went and looked, no problem with Mama but the vet's techs forgot to put in Cleo.  I went ahead and fixed that, took care of the old phone number (old house phone we no longer use), marked Gravy as "departed" - the computer told me it was sorry for my loss, and made sure everyone was up to date.  It was pretty painless.  I also marked Biscuit as having FLUTD and what food he eats.  That would be important for a rescuer to know. 

I am not sure how I am going to catch Cleo for her appointment.  Ron suggested I use the trap, don't feed her for a while, then put some mixed grill in the trap.  It is a good idea and what I will probably do.  I am not free feeding them any more either, and am getting some delicious food to tempt them. 

Basically right now everyone is eating Biscuit's formula, which costs $4.20 a pound.  And probably not the best for a standard cat to eat.  I am not worried about Spotty, though, if he gets the condition he already loves the food.  I am trying to get the other cats to eat wet food, they do, but I will need to add dry as well.  Sometimes they want the adult formula, sometimes not.  It is frustrating. 

Walmart is apparently not making their branded pet food any more.  Which is a shame as my guys loved it, especially the mixed grill, and salmon.  They do like the chicken and tuna so I got some cans of that, and an assortment of fishy wet foods.  I would like the adult cats eating adult formula, kittens eating wet and kitten food, Biscuit eating his prescription (he is very good about that)

I'll see if they like it.  It has been my experience feeding a male cat fishy foods tends to lead to bladder stones so I will be careful with Biscuit.  And Spotty, for that matter.  He's a male too. 

It is cute to see those two together, they are pretty bonded.  Biscuit basically adopted everyone as family.  He is very shy with humans but loves other cats apparently.  Baby Girl has stuck with Ron like a tick, very bonded, stays in his room most of the time, doesn't interact with the other cats as long as she has Ron.  That cat is going to be f-cked up when Ron dies.  But he would be even worse if she preceded him. 

Onto happier subjects, today we work on accounting.  Last night I ordered pizza.  Ron: I don't want anything.  I ordered a bbq chicken pizza because he loves them.  I got it with no onions because I hate them, and I might get stuck eating it. 

He didn't want any last night but "found" the pizza in the middle of the night and ate some, ate more for breakfast.  I guess I made the right call getting the pizza.  I just got a thin crust, bbq sauce, double chicken.  If it had been for Ron only I would have put onions on it too.   We can eat that for our big meal today whenever we have it. 

That's it for now. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jackson Galaxy would have had you do a very SLOW introduction to the new cats entering the household. I feel bad for Torbie as you really did upset her comfort zone (even though we know it was for good reasons). She must be very stressed out to start urinating outside the litter box. Plus the growling to claim the perch is a big red flag too. I hope she will be OK when you are gone for 24 hours. And no they shouldn't be working things out for themselves - Jackson Galaxy would say that is a big no.

That is why I will never get anymore cats until the 2 I have pass on. The sad thing is we could rescue 50 cats and there would still be a need for more to be saved. It is just a never ending cycle and horrible all due to human beings who are too selfish to do the right thing.

I don't want to upset the current cats I have. We took over a year with the introductions. Partly because the new cat had FIV and we wanted to be extra careful. Even now we never leave them alone together when we leave and always keep the younger FIV cat in the bedroom when we go out.

Heather Knits said...

I agree it could have been done better, considering our circumstances we did our best.

We had horrible fights with Torbie and Baby Girl. Nothing really when we saved Biscuit and Gravy.

With the cats I have they are all rescues and I can feel good about getting them out of hell. Especially the last 3, the "kids" next door and the other one would have probably tortured them to death assuming they didn't starve first.

But I am full up. I am surprised how well it works with the ones I have; overall it is very peaceful. Torbie is in my bed right now with Biscuit and very happy about it.

Ron and I have decided not to encourage (we weren't but we won't) the new cats to come in the bedrooms, that can be the hold out for the old guard.