Monday, September 2, 2019

Monday morning or where is my cathouse?

I slept OK but woke up with a nasty migraine. 

Ron was peeping at me, quietly.  I got up to see what he needed, he was having a pain attack (best way I can phrase it).  Boy, we're a pair.  Glad we don't have children depending on us. 

He didn't have any kratom, or didn't know where it was, so I got him some.  We had to do a couple doses but it started working. 

I got up and drank some very cold diet soda and laid down again, much to the outrage of my cats.  I did put some of Biscuit's dry food out before I went back to bed. 

I got up 2 hours later, at 8.  More Kratom for Ron (he has had about 6 grams total today).  He had some vodka, went back to bed... a reasonable amount and he could get in bed easily. 

I got on the computer.  I have a 6 pack of Diet Dr Peppers in the fridge and am working on them steadily. 

I may need to take Mr Spot in to be neutered.  Last night I found a wet spot in the computer room, it didn't really smell like cat pee but there was an odor and I hadn't spilled anything.  I got my Nature's Miracle and cleaned it up.   It was a kitten-sized spot and as we know we just fixed Cleo, I doubt it is her. 

This morning I found another spot in almost the same location.  Spot being the operative word; he is the only one not fixed, is about 6 months (and has a little set of balls), and is, according to the websites, at just the right age.  I don't blame him. 

I had hoped to wait until after we paid the flood insurance, but I think we will have to take him in.  We have a pretty good limit on the credit card so we can use that.  Ron really likes Spot, who is very physically affectionate with him.  Spot is a cutie.  He is the orange and white kitten. 

We NEVER use the credit card unless we are travelling so I feel fine about that.  The company will appreciate the business.  Might help our credit. 

Trying to think positive. 

It is surprising how quiet the house is, most of the time, with all the cats.  Occasionally at night I will hear a squawk as Spot play-fights but that's it.  That is great. 

You should see them at feeding time, though.  I finally got Baby Girl to eat her dry food today, she has been eating a lot of treats.  I don't know what Torbie is eating, probably more treats.  Mama is good eating wet and dry, but they really hated the Meow Mix I offered this morning.  Even Biscuit wouldn't eat it.  Biscuit is good about eating his dry.    The kittens didn't like the wet offering but ate a good amount of dry. 

I am seriously considering buying Biscuit some canned food formulated for his condition.  It is similar to a favorite cheat food - Mixed Grill.   Here it is: https://www.chewy.com/purina-pro-plan-veterinary-diets-ur/dp/49837

NOT cheap but worth it if he eats it.  I feel so bad locking him up when I feed wet food to the others.  Maybe I could ask for my birthday... but I asked for a cat carrier instead! 

It will be good to have a carrier for everyone. 

Back to the food, if I want something that costs more than $20 I like to think about it for a few days before purchasing.  And he does have a dry food he likes.  Everyone likes his dry food.  So, not a rush. 

He's just so pitiful whenever I open a can of mixed grill - if he loves the new stuff (big if) that would be great to give him his own can in the bathroom while everyone else ate by the table.  I am indulgent. 

Note I am not putting the food on the credit card, just the neuter.  I imagine most bipolars have TERRIBLE credit because CREDIT CARD!  MANIC!  SPEND!  Yike.  I have pretty much only operated from a cash only perspective and when it's gone, it's gone. 

I did get some "bad" news (to me) the cat house I ordered will come in a few more days, not today as I had hoped.  Fed Ex says the fifth!  Last time I got it in 2 days! 

Yes, I am a spoiled brat. 

Ron woke up and is still hurting.  I will have to give him more Kratom.  I do have plenty of that.  He doesn't want any and thinks he needs to change position. 

He could really use an adjustable bed, 2 different family members offered to get him one but he said no.  You can say a lot about my family but they step up a lot more than his ever did. 

I offered him some additional pillows (I love pillows) but he said no.  He will call if he needs something. 

I was feeling a twinge of hunger so I got a nice cold protein shake out and took my morning pills.  I really hate to miss a dose if I can help it.  I love the Premier Protein in Caramel, I get them at Sam's Club or Walmart. 

Sometimes my medication will annoy the headache but we will figure it out. 

I just remembered I have about $600 in my checking account for "problems".  I can use that (it won't be that much) to fix Spot and then no interest on it.  I am liking that.  Then I can repay it in October, after the flood insurance.  That is exactly why I stashed it. 

I think I do pretty good at money management for a bipolar with brain damage.  I trip sometimes but I don't have debt other than the mortgage. 

I am going to go watch TV for a little bit and drink my last Dr Pepper. 

That's it for now. 

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Even Biscuit wouldn't eat it." Why would you even try to get Biscuit to eat it? Do you want him to get another blockage?

Anonymous said...

What about this for Biscuit:
https://www.chewy.com/royal-canin-veterinary-diet-urinary/dp/35159

I hate the larger 5.5 ounce cans and prefer the smaller ones. My cats love the Royal Canin morsels in gravy. Maybe Biscuit will too.

I really wish you would have ron back off on SO many treats. The other cats having them as their meals in NOT healthy for them. The treat limit should be no more than 10 pieces per day (which is even too high in my opinion) per cat.

Anonymous said...

"He could really use an adjustable bed, 2 different family members offered to get him one but he said no. You can say a lot about my family but they step up a lot more than his ever did. "

So let me get this straight your family offered to buy Ron a very expensive adjustable bed BUT you are told that don't ask for gifts more than x amount and have to go like 30.00 or under for anything you need. What the hell is wrong with your family? Why do they choose others over you? This is along the lines when you wanted to tell them about Rons excessive drinking and abusiveness and they said don't make us choose. There really is a screw loose with those people.

Heather Knits said...

@ bed, you got it exactly.

You wonder how I can stay with him; some of it comes from this. I have never once felt I would be welcome at my parents (assuming I found a foster for the cats, as Dad hates them), no matter how bad things got with Ron. Not once have they ever said "You can always come to us".

That has been my aunt and uncle; and I have stayed with them when I had to, only 3 times, last in 2011.

I am not sad or bitter about it. It's like being angry I wear glasses. It is pointless and doesn't change anything.

Heather Knits said...

Great minds think alike, I actually have that for him. He ate the first can and won't touch it now. BUT the other cats find it tasty so not a waste of money. One reason I am not rushing to buy the new ones.

I agree on the treats. It is really his only interaction with them, though, feeding them treats from the wheelchair and petting them as they eat. Baby Girl lays with him in bed but other than that they might as well be invisible.

From what I read they do have vitamins and minerals necessary for cats, they know there are owners like Ron. It is not ideal but it is heartwarming to watch him with them.

Heather Knits said...

I call Biscuit my big mouth because he will eat all the forbidden foods. But even he wouldn't touch it. Today he got into the kitten food when I put something in the garage. 95% of what he consumes is his special diet & treats; I am strict about not allowing him to eat the "good" stuff.

He tries, though. Not with the chicken and minced internal organ meal. I think it was chicken and liver. Looks revolting to me, I prefer to feed a pate, a nice big mushy hockey puck where you can't identify the ingredients. The cats are happy to eat a pate. But this was apparently so detestable even he wouldn't touch it, pretty damning. No one will touch it.

So I have the rest and some other undesirable cat foods in a bag on the door waiting to go to work. I have several "cat friends" at work, we ask about each other's pets and someone will be happy to get it.

Anonymous said...

But he is a cat. He can’t eat forbidden foods if they aren’t made accessible to him by his owner. I don’t get what is so hard about feeding these cats a normal cat diet. Stop feeding them too many treats and processed people food and feed them at regular times. If they beg, tough shit. Cats and dogs both beg. It doesn’t mean giving them table food or an extra serving is what’s good for them.

Heather Knits said...

They don't eat people food, Biscuit gets a little lick if I eat a certain type of cheese stick but that is it.

My mistake, I'm used to putting the bowl down and walking away, filling it as needed. Remember I did this for many years. I am not used to standing there policing the food and then putting it away the second the destination cat is finished. I tend to move off and catch Biscuit at it later. He is particularly fond of kitten food.

I just need to retrain and get myself used to standing over the cat as he/she eats, then put it up.

Anonymous said...

I don’t stand over my cats. I set the portion out and they eat it. Come back later and remove the usually mostly empty plate since wet food will go bad *shrug*. When my older cat is eating a separate diet he gets put in another room for a while. (With a litter box). My cats like to nibble, drink water, wash face wherever I am, go back and repeat a few times. So I don’t stand there waiting. Idk maybe try that but with biscuit lock him in the bathroom.

Heather Knits said...

If I take one step away from the food Big Mouth is in it, and I don't like to lock him up. I don't mind standing over him. I would rather that than listen to him cry in the bathroom.

Anonymous said...

Oh got it. I thought you didn’t want to stand over him. My cat doesn’t seem to care about being locked up as long as his food is With him lol.

Anonymous said...

You could always take Biscuit's dry food and put it in a container with some bottled water and let that soak up until it becomes wet. We do that with our dog and he thinks he gets wet food and dry food but its all the same.

Heather Knits said...

Biscuit is eating his dry right now, actually. He likes it. He just doesn't like hearing "You can't eat that" re: other food.

It is kind of like me and potatoes on low carb. Day to day, I don't really like potatoes. Once they were forbidden I wanted potatoes all the time. Unfortunately I can't risk letting him sample.

The other day his eyes were a little bugged out peeing, but he did pee a lot so I didn't worry... but it is a reminder he has a condition.

Anonymous said...

This is on you. You have KNOWN not to let him eat anything other than prescription food and until the new cats came in you were doing right by him. So it is complete BS that you can't continue that. Same with ron. I find it hard to believe he is giving treats responsibly, especially when drunk. But go ahead and enable his bad behavior. The cats can't choose to be mistreated and put in a dangerous situation like you do. They are helpless and rely on humans to make good choices and decisions for them. The bugged out eyes is concerning when he is urinating. He may need another trip to the vet. Please do better for him. We love all the cats but hate to see Biscuit get put down die to your and rons mistakes.

Heather Knits said...

What? Biscuit is fine, he always strains a little. Vet says he has a very small penis from his early neuter, one reason I am waiting as long as I can on Spotty. He is urinating good amounts, well over 1/4 c at a time, and I have witnessed him urinating. He is fine, he's my boy and I would never endanger him. I am just standing over the food when the other cats eat. I just got him a new catnip mouse, you should have seen him go after that thing, then playing with the squeaky mouse wand. He's good.

I just need a little help with memory tracking, remembering to police the food. The new guys would rather come and go, nibbling. I can't do that, so I have to condition them to eat a good meal and walk away. It has been a process for all of us. We'll get it.

It's a hell of a better life than they had before they met us. All of them.