Friday, March 5, 2021

Some thoughts on a disaster kit.

 Ron and I have always liked the concept of a disaster kit even before we compiled one.  

But I had no idea.  

Loma Prieta earthquake, Ron almost got squashed by his television.  My family lost power for some hours but still had water.  

Hurricanes/floods we aren't going anywhere but that is OK, we had food and water.  I have ALWAYS thought it is a good idea to have a few cases of bottled water on hand if you do NOTHING else.  And canned food you like.  

But think about canned food in a no-water situation.  Something like tuna gets on your hands when you open it, no way to wash your hands are going to reek!  So you probably want something more like Chef Boyardee or a condensed soup (you don't have to dilute with water).  Cup of noodles are a good option if you have a way to boil water.  

You want to have something you like so find some things everyone likes and then have them in that top cupboard you only access in emergencies.  Make sure you eat it up and replace it every year or so.  

Houston is the master of the last minute hurricane kit.  Run out when the storm is 200 miles away and shop.  Not the best although very exciting, I'm sure.  You won't get everything you want, either.  

Another good one Pop Tarts, granola bars, nutri grain bars.  I did all of those during the ice storm when we had no water or electricity.  Easily eaten and tasty.  You may need to hide these from the kids.  

There are a lot of other things like Hormel Compleats, Uncle Ben has rice meals with beans and rice already cooked in a sturdy pouch,  you just open it.  If you want to go deluxe you can get Mountain House "camping" food where you just add boiling water.  I did one during the ice storm it was good.  Ron liked it too (Sweet and Sour pork).  They have all sorts of meals.  You will need the meal; water, and a way to boil the water.  But it can be very good eating in a hard time.  

You may not want a generic can of Spaghettios during a major disaster and that would fit the bill if you have the budget.  NOW they sell the Mountain House at Walmart in the camping section, so you can buy one every time you shop and acquire quite a selection.  

And then you have the items you might not think of, wet wipes, toilet paper, diapers for baby - etc.  I know many people wait to the last minute to buy more of all this.  I have to admit I was caught short by the wet wipe and toilet paper issue last year.  I had some of both but not what I would consider a stock of them.  I managed, barely.  I did have a decent stock of female supplies.  

That would have been hideous.  Ron also became more "intensive" care and I needed a lot of basic towels and washcloths, which were also hard to find.  I didn't see that as an issue I would need.  But a bed bath, at least when I am giving it, goes through an easy 6 washcloths per.    

Anyway that's it for now...

No comments: