Saturday, March 20, 2021

Cover letter

 It's too soon for a resume, I tried and kept shutting down.  

So I worked on a cover letter.  

Dear Potential Employer,

Hopefully my loss can be your gain. I have worked retail for over 25 years, 23 years of office work, and 28 years of customer service, but I still have plenty of energy left to give your organization. I have worked retail and office jobs since 1992. In 2001 I went to work for my husband, who was a member of the blind vendors program (you can google Randolph-Shepherd act if curious). I assisted with customer service, stocking, receiving orders, complaints/refunds, cash handling, banking, accounting, you name it. We even ran a deli for a few years, I did all the food prep and assisted in the hiring process as well. I enjoy all of it and am a hard worker. I had to work odd hours and am NOT one to whine if you need me to work late, overnights, or weekends.


Sadly, my husband died recently and I can no longer participate in the program as I am sighted. I find myself looking for a new job and hope you will consider making me a member of your organization. I am willing, able, honest (I did all the cash handling, deposits, etc. for 20 years), I don't mind manual labor if required or I can ride a desk all day. I am reliable, I understand my employer is depending on me. As I am now single I have no obligations at home that will interfere with my work life.


I hope you will give me a chance.


Sincerely,

I like it.  It addresses some employer concerns: Is Heather used up?  Can Heather work nights and weekends?  Is Heather honest/reliable/dependable?  Does Heather have other obligations that would interfere?  (That was a big reason I didn't job hunt while Ron was alive he would have come first)

That's what I've got so far.  I will keep chipping away at the resumes doing a line or two at a time.  They should be done in a few days.  I plan to do a retail one, customer service, and a caregiver one just for giggles.  I have some leads I will follow.  One is a place that actually gave me a job offer back in 2000 but I stupidly turned it down.  

The guys are coming to do something to the door (it seems fine?) I have cold drinks in the fridge if they want them.  

That's it for now.  


No comments: