Tuesday, November 26, 2019

Tuesday afternoon

I took a nap, and yup, woke up with a headache.  I wasn't surprised, that glue was something else. 

It reminded me of the solvent the artist used when he redid Ron's eyes.  Ron had his eyes removed due to glaucoma when he was a child and uses prosthetics. 

The old ones were having trouble and didn't look right so we had a few consultations with various professionals until they decided to authorize new eyes.  I went with Ron to help pick out the color, he said I could pick any color I wanted.  I went with dark green.  The artist spent a lot of time painting them but the solvent!  OH.  Nasty migraine out of that. 

I did not tell Ron his eyes gave me a migraine, but they did.  Years later, there was a pervasive rumor at work. 

Even now Ron is very hands on and does as much as possible at work.  It is very unusual for him to sit off to the side and let me to the work (a little more lately because of the hand, and it is hard for him to work with a glove). 

Anyway, there was a pervasive rumor that Ron was not really blind, he had just faked it to get into the program, that he could see and that is why he was doing so much more than the other blind vendors.  First it started with whispering behind Ron's back, slandering him to our employees, again behind Ron's back, demanding the girls "Tell the truth, he can see".  Baffled, they kept saying Ron is really blind.  The population didn't believe it. 

One day a guy wanted change for a $50 or something, Ron said "I don't make change since someone cheated me by giving me a $1 and telling me it was a $20"

"Oh, we know the truth, you can see"  the guy snapped. 

"Oh, yeah?  Watch this!"  Ron then took out a quarter and rapped it on one eye, then the other.  The man screamed and fled.  And the rumors stopped. 

So that is about all the eyes have affected my life.  He takes care of them, there is ongoing daily care they need but nothing major.  The most annoying aspect is the napkin, he likes to carry a napkin to wipe his eyes, then he sticks it in his pocket and forgets it.  I have had to fish a couple shredded napkins out of the wash and I am very careful about checking now. 

I can tell there is something different in my mouth but no pain.  I am going to be careful about eating for a while.  Biscuit keeps getting in my lap for food but he has eaten and has a bowl of his dry formula on the floor.  I am saving a can of his wet formula for Thanksgiving. 

The headache is a little better with the pain killer but it is just going to be a rough week from what I see, a lot of cold fronts arriving which does play hell with my head. 

I had a pretty good nap (aside from the headache) with Torbie and Biscuit.  Baby Girl has been in Ron's room all day, with very short breaks to eat and use the litter box.  She is truly devoted. 

Ron said we are working Friday which is fine, I can decorate and stock at the same time.  I like to decorate the machines and his wheelchairs (he has a work chair with no arms) on Black Friday.  If I have a family tradition that is it, do the machines and wheelchairs on Black Friday.  I have the supplies at work. 

I don't do a tree at the house.  I have six cats.  I can only imagine the carnage.  So I decorate the wheelchair and the vending machines.  Ron was giving me a hard time about it one year and an employee went off on him, said it was the only "human" place in the building and he had better STFU about ending it.  I stood there agape and he nodded to me "Ma'am" and walked off. 

Ron has never even considered changing my routine, since. 

2 comments:

Friend said...

What about putting up a fun little tree of branches or something safe and safe kitty things and let the kitties have at it to play with on Christmas morning? I would do that for sure !
Happy Thanksgiving to you and all your commenters including the curmudgeon!

Much love

Heather Knits said...

My guys are pretty meaty, even the kittens. I did ask for some cat stuff for Christmas so they'll have that.