Tuesday, November 19, 2019

On feral kittens

[I was thinking today about what a narcissist wants.  What do they want?  They want to be thought of constantly, every decision revolving around them.  Every blog about them.  ]

So, today's blog is about Cleo and the feral rescue crews.  Here is a video on rehabbing a feral kitten.  https://youtu.be/ST8dlkNGT9I  Notice in the video she says only up to 4 months, after that is too late.  In her book she goes even farther and says every feral over 4 months should be a TNR.  But, as we know, I have abusive neighbors so that wasn't an option for Cleo.  That just didn't seem like a viable option for me. 

But all the sources said to do it. 

After some discussion with a vet tech named Sara I decided to "try" to bring Cleo in the house, love on her, and see what happened. 

This happened: 

Now, she was pretty spicy when I got her.  She was irate about being trapped, taken to the vet, chipped, shots, etc.  I worked on her patiently, trying to get her to warm up. 

Unlike the video I did not confine her, she was happy enough under my couch and I could have gotten her out (I would have been bleeding, but I could have done it) if I had to do it. 

Why was I able to turn her into a house pet?  Aside from the obvious "God helped"? 

Well, I had her mother and brother there.  Cleo did a lot of comfort nursing the first couple weeks.  Her mother and brother were socialized. 

Now, let me take a moment with Spotty here. 

He was pretty spicy too (feral) but would come for food, very food driven, so I would pet him more and more every time I fed him.  I did this outside.  Then I began picking him up a little now and then until he got used to it.  Then I picked him up and brought him in the house, as easy as that.  He has always been pretty social and enjoys petting, won't get in my lap but considering he was running away from me with food in my hand, a few months ago, I'll take it.  Mama and her 2 kittens are all very bonded to each other.  If I died I would come back and tell their rescuer they all had to go to the same home. 

Mama cat:
was already socialized and painfully obvious she had been a pet.  I checked her for a microchip but could not find one, searched the neighborhood for flyers and also online message boards.  No one claimed her.  After a week of this, I claimed her, got her spayed (not cheap 'cause she was pregnant), shots, chip, etc.  I don't regret that.  Is she super bonded to me like Torbie or Biscuit?  No, but she's a good cat and I like having her around.  She is almost always nearby when I am on the computer. 

So I think it really helped having "the team" to keep everyone socialized and not revert back to feral behavior.  Mommy kept the 2 kittens socialized and was constantly showing them humans are good for food, treats, and petting.  They are also good for keeping the litter box clean!   I really doubt it would have gone this well if I had split them up. 

Which of course led to me keeping all 3 in addition to my old gang.    That's considered a "foster fail".  I don't agree, they knew me, I knew them, we all liked each other.  It is a big statement of trust when a cat sleeps in your bed and I have had that from all of them. 

But all the rescue pages are so dismal and I just can't agree.  Look at Frosty, for example: 
I am sure he had a home at one point, lived there a long time.  Then I believe his owner died and he was thrown out on the street.  He was nearly completely feral by the time he found me, ran away from me when I had tuna in my hand.  He was approximately NINE years old at this point.  I worked with him and sure enough, he became a lap cat.  That image is him sitting in my lap. 

So I had to figure if I could get Frosty tamed at 9 years old I could certainly get Spotty and Cleo at less than a year - but how many don't have my experience and end up doing a TNR on a cat that would secretly love to live in the house? 

If a cat person came to me asking my advice I would say, like Sara did to me, "At least give it a try.  She deserves that chance".  Frosty did.  Cleo, Spotty, and Mommy did.  And I am the better for it.  Fearfulness is not a death sentence, and the way the world is they had better be scared or someone will get them. 

I just don't see the doom and gloom after the 4 month mark. 

No comments: