Sunday, November 17, 2019

Sunday noon

I am tired of writing about caregiving. 

So, I got up, fed the cats, ate a snack, took my pills, cleaned 7 litter boxes, topped them off, washed my hands, caregiving, organized the bookcase in my bedroom and took out one large bag of trash.  I also took out a bag + armload of recycles.  More caregiving. 

I decided to take a bath.  Now I have to be careful about overheating, on my medication, and I am prone to it in a bath because I like it pretty hot.  I looked all over for something I could use that wouldn't freak Ron out.  I found a bottle of bubble bath someone gave me.  It smelled OK so I decided I would use that.  I took out the hair catcher and saw a lot of hair that had escaped into the drain.  Nothing is more disgusting than bathroom drain hair.  Nothing.  I resolved to clean it out with some lye after my bath/shower. 

I should also add in an ideal world, I take a bath and then take a shower after that to freshen up.  It is just how I evolved.  But I only do it at my house because it does use a lot of water.  I haven't done this in years. 

Ron interrupted me 3 times as I filled the tub, the last being an urgent request to help get him to the bathroom.  That is where I saw his utterly terrible transfer technique.  I am surprised he has only fallen twice, in the bathroom, in the 15 years we've lived here. 

I finished filling the tub, moved the wheelchair, got around, moved the wheelchair next to Ron, and got into the tub as he - ah. 

Biscuit came to help, and was very cute walking around the edge of the bathtub and watching me.  He is really an adorable cat.  I told him "Everyone who meets you loves you" because he is just so cute. 

I had my bath, Ron left me alone after a while, had my shower, ran the lye down the drain and let that work for an hour, then flushed with hot water.  Ron wanted more help.  And this is why I say Ron would have to go to a nursing home for a while if I was out of service.  It would probably be a horrific wakeup call for him. 

I stripped Ron's bed and got the sheets on soak.  I also found his pants which HAD to be washed so I put them in with the load.  I remade the bed with fresh sheets and arranged it the way he had it. 

I helped him back into bed when finished.  He is now lying down for some period of time.  The cats really liked the new litter box, I am glad I got it, will get some more. 

Mama cat has been a BEGGAR all day, even though she has food.  None of the other cats are bothering me the way she is.  We are engaged, I believe, in a battle of wills.  She wants food on demand, too fat to walk.  I want a healthy cat.  So we are trying to out stubborn the other.  I will win eventually but so much begging! 

I could understand when she was pregnant and nursing, when she was recovering from her surgery, when she was nursing, but she is done nursing.  Her daughter is fixed, her son is mature.  Food is provided a couple of times a day, both wet and dry.  There is an abundance of food, variety of flavors, and even literal probiotics on top.  No cause to beg. 

But it may be a trauma thing from being out on the streets with 2 babies.  I am sure she had more, who died, and that had to be hard for her.  I know the "neighbors" weren't easy on her, either.  So maybe I won't be so impatient. 

I have about an hour until my clothes finish and then I plan to take a nap. 

No comments: